The Post (2017)

JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
edited January 14 in Movies
Thoughts on the "Love, Simon" trailer at the end of this.

Wow, what a shoo-in for Best Picture. It has the female empowerment thing and the 4th estate thing, both very big issues right now due to the sexual harassment scandal and the scandal that is our president. I agree with the general thoughts that this is Spielberg in his finest form. The movie was moving but not overly-sentimental. And it landed all of its jumps. I watched Munich for the first time a few months ago, and The Post reminded me of Munich in the way the story unraveled, and the level of sentimentality and character development, except it did not cross every t and felt a little hollow at the end. 

I look forward to rewatching this. I'm sure there are some great subtleties. One of them I caught on first viewing was Meryl Streep's character's progression re: sleeping. We first see her in bed, startled awake with books all around her, looking exhausted. Later in the movie we see her having fallen asleep in her couch, I think? Somewhere not her bed. AKA, she's working while she should be sleeping and sleeping while she should be working. This woman is not at peace. And in such a beautiful, harmonious moment of writing and acting, she declares that yes, they will publish... "And I'm going to bed." 

I welled up.

I well up at good filmmaking. 

And remember Lincoln, a movie that tried to make you feel awesome about America but was just too on-the-nose? This movie gave me a lot of good America feels. Carrie Coon delivered one of those moments, and like A.Ron said, I understood why such a powerhouse actress had been cast. It was the main idea of the film. A lot was resting on that. Lincoln had shown something doesn't work simply because it's true or historical. 

I haven't listened to the lunch where Jim didn't think being compared to David Cross was an insult. I probably would have thought the same... I had no idea he looks like this now! And I couldn't believe I was hearing David Cross's voice come from this man. He's not ugly by any means, and I wouldn't say he's let himself go... he's just not the Arrested Development David Cross anymore.

The scene where Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep were first talking together at breakfast... I felt the electricity. Probably the biggest male movie star with the biggest female movie star. It's incredible this is the first time they've been together. 

A.Ron saying that he was comforted seeing the statistics of how many people were on the wrong side of history compared to how many people support bad policies today... yeah, maybe, but you know the winners get to write history, right? Statistically, this is how you would see it. It may be that the "right" has gotten washed away at some point. And the feeling of comfort is ubiquitous. I know I'm getting really like, Leftovers-style deterministic and depressing, or is it Fargo? I know this isn't a new thought. Please everyone continue to be hopeful. 

----

Love, Simon

Yes, it does feel like this movie is old news and should have come out 10 years ago. Movies are just notoriously behind. I read a few books like this 10 years ago, and they were sensational then. For instance, this YA book about a gay teen superhero (Hero, 2007) who feels like he'll crush his dad if he tells him. I didn't even log that on my Goodreads when I read it, it felt so controversial. 

Agreed, this trailer makes two important points. (1) Heterosexual people don't have to come out. They need never reference sex to their parents once, if they don't want to. It's like that Twilight Zone episode where they were operating on the girl's ugly face, except at the end you see she's beautiful and everyone else looks like pigs. I wish there was more media which made straight people consider what it would be like to be the minority in something so essential as your attraction. (2) Coming out is killing an old version of yourself. You form so much of your self-impression, self-image, even consciousness based on how others perceive you. (Which is why it took this standardly feminine, straight-laced gal 28 years to realize she was gay.) It's a weird kind of death. It's not just about which friends might treat you differently, although that happens too.

Anyway, there are two categories of knowing something. Category #1 is knowing something well enough to know it. Category #2 is knowing something well enough to help others know it. I'm hoping this movie will help those in category #1 movie into category #2 when it comes to the struggles of gay people in this current social structure. Because we could always use more intelligent, educated straight allies. No, this movie won't change the minds of those hardcore anti-gay people, but enough straight people in category #2 might. 

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 14
    Also @A_Ron_Hubbard I think you are pronouncing eschew wrong and I'm a terrible person and I would never say that to you if you weren't a podcaster and it weren't such a good word. And maybe I misheard you.

Edit:

Well fuck me, I didn't know there was an "also" for it. 

A_Ron_Hubbard
    Maybe I overestimated this movie, or maybe it's because it just released widely, but /r/movies is having a discussion about Best Picture and people are mentioning Three Billboards and The Shape of Water and such. No The Post. I kind of wonder if /r/the_d brigaded The Post discussion anyway; posters are consistently lukewarm. 

Anyway "Reddit is wrong," what's new, but wow... someone actually said "It's nice being in a year with no front runners."

I guess we'll find out who's living in bizarro world.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'm looking forward to it, looks to have all the ingredients to be a winner. As for the mediocre Reddit reception, can't help but feel that for some, it might feel a bit too 'conventional' compared to some of the other movies this year, Billboards and Shape Of Water the prime examples like you said. Even Lady Bird. 
    edited 1:27PM
    amyja89 said:
    I'm looking forward to it, looks to have all the ingredients to be a winner. As for the mediocre Reddit reception, can't help but feel that for some, it might feel a bit too 'conventional' compared to some of the other movies this year, Billboards and Shape Of Water the prime examples like you said. Even Lady Bird. 

Yeah, and maybe that's just their age/inexperience with the Oscars showing? There's what you want to win, and there's what actually wins. The Shape of Water doesn't win no BP Oscars. Also the film has Meryl Streep, so there's that downside? 

And maybe the factors that make my decision of what I think should be BP are conforming to Oscar standards, but I do think The Post should win this year, although I enjoyed several movies much more.

@amyja89 - When/If you see Phantom Thread, talk to me. 
    amyja89