The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story

Is anyone else watching this?

It's a Ryan Murphy show.  Last season was The People v. OJ Simpson, which I thought was amazing.  This season tells the story of when Gianni Versace was murdered.

The first episode of this season aired last night and it's goooooood. 
Like the OJ Simpson story, I'm old enough to remember this happening, but was only halfway paying attention at the time, so a lot of it will be 'new' to me.

Between American Horror Story, Feud, and American Crime Story, whatever formula Ryan Murphy has found is really working for me! 
MichelleElisa

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    I have been waiting to see this.  I need to watch it tonight on demand.  I was too busy last night to catch it.  I’m glad to hear that it was good!
    April_May_JuneElisa
  • It really was!  I can't wait until next week's episode!
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    I thought it was really good!

I also was old enough to remember hearing about the actual murder, but know absolutely none of the details about it, so to me it's very interesting.

I thought Darren Criss and Penelope Cruz were particularly good in last nights episode and can't wait to see more from them.

Also, the show looked just gorgeous!
    April_May_JuneElisa
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Should have called it "The Assassination of Gianni Versace by the Coward Andrew Cunanan"
    April_May_Junehypergenesbakritenbrink
  • Should have called it "The Assassination of Gianni Versace by the Coward Andrew Cunanan"
     :D  :D :D

I read somewhere that one of the conditions of Brad Pitt had for him doing that movie was that they not change the title.
  • I thought the first episode was a very strong start - I wasn't sure what to expect going in considering how divided critics who'd seen the screeners were on it, but ended up enjoying it quite a lot. The show looks incredible, and the cast is great, especially Darren Criss. Looking forward to the rest.
    ElisaApril_May_June
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Gonna check it out tonight. 
    April_May_June
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Campy, extravagant, operatic. It's everything I expect ;)  Penelope Cruz is just perfect - she is one of my favorite actresses, I am so excited to be able to watch her every week. I am going into this murder case completely ignorant, so it should be a different experience than the first season.

It's so funny to see Darren Kriss as one of the leads - I knew him waaaay back from his Very Potter Musical, youtube days XD  You've come a long way kid!
    April_May_JuneElisa
  • I've read that this is really the Andrew Cunanan story, and has very little to do with Versace. And in that regard, it's basically it can be seen as "just another serial killer show." The interesting part to see how they pull it off is that each episode walks back in time, not forward. So we walk Cunanan's story back through all of his victims to the beginning. Curious to see how well that works. 
    Mofojones333ElisaApril_May_June
  • Oh wow, I had no idea it was going to go backwards in time - I'm interested to see how it all plays out!
  • Just finished episode 2.
    Wow, that duck tape scene made me physically uncomfortable!  That poor man!
  • Just watched episode 3.
    Judith Light was amazing!  And Darren Kriss is really knocking it out of the park in this role as Andrew.

This series got a lot of its material from the book "Vulgar Favors" - I think I have to get it!
    I caught up on the first two episodes (I have yet to see this week's).  Yeah, that duct tape scene had me on pins and needles.  I thought he was going to kill the guy with those scissors.  And then, when he did it to his own head prior to taking a shower - wtf??  Maybe he was trying to get an idea of how it felt to be in that vulnerable state?    I don't know.

Darren Criss *is* knocking it out of the park and it sort of takes me aback how eerily similar he actually looks to Andrew Cunanan.  Like, he could possibly be a twin or at least a sibling because they look *that* much alike.  Great casting.  I'm also enjoying Edgar Ramirez as Versace.  I'm not fond of Penelope Cruz, so her portrayal (to me, anyway) is just so-so.   And I think Ricky Martin is doing a great job as well.  This is the first thing I've seen him act in, and it's leaving a pretty good first impression.
    April_May_June
  • Yeah, the whole tape thing was definitely a WTF moment.  Then when it did it to himself to take a shower?  I don't quite understand that moment.  (His friend's reaction to that strangeness ... 'um, ok ... yeah' kind of cracked me up)

I singled Darren Kriss' acting out in my previous post, but I agree - everyone's doing an amazing job!  I don't know much about Donatella Versace, but Penelope Cruz seems to be doing a good job too.  And Ricky Martin?  So impressed!

I just bought the book Vulgar Favors, and intend to spend a good portion of my day reading it   :)
    Michelle
  • Donatella just did 73 questions for Vogue!   (Don't ask me how I know this, lol)
    Anyway, I enjoyed it, so I thought I'd share.   :)

https://www.vogue.com/article/73-questions-with-donatella-versace?mbid=social_twitter
  • Just finished the book.  Wow, what a crazy, crazy story!  I'm excited to see how they tell it on the show.
    The book itself?  It was written in 1999, and it shows.  For example, O.J. Simpson is mentioned quite often.  And some other things made it seem a bit 'dated'.  But the story is so fascinating that I was able to look past it.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has read the book, and what you thought of it?
    I watched this past week's episode this morning.  Another great episode!  I continue to be impressed by Darren Criss.  I'd be shocked if he isn't nominated for this role.   And Judith Light will undoubtedly be nommed for her appearance as well.  She was phenomenal.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    OK I need to catch up.  I stopped after the first episode.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Aimee Mann covering who’s gonna drive you home? Count me in. 
    April_May_June
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    edited February 8
    cdrive said:
    Aimee Mann covering who’s gonna drive you home? Count me in. 
    Right?!  That was SO good!
    This entire episode was great!  I knew from the story that Prints the dog would be safe, but I still worried about him.  And as cute as Prints was on the show, I thought the actual Prints was a Dalmatian?  A silly thing to get stuck on, I know, but ... I wonder why they changed Prints' breed?

Edited to add: sorry about the double Spoiler Tags - this is the first time I've used them, and I'm on my phone, so that may be why, but I don't know how to get rid of the extra one.

I'm also wondering if they're going to get into what a mess the investigation was.  There was like 4 different police departments, from different states, plus the FBI got involved ... all of them wanting to be 'in charge', but also holding back because they were afraid to make a mistake.  And none of them sharing information ... The word clusterfuck isn't an understatement.

Michellecdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Oh man I’m totally watching this for the music now 

April_May_June