Greta Gerwig appreciation thread

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
So, Lady Bird, written and directed by the amazing Greta Gerwig, is getting a ton of buzz right now. I just found out on another thread that Lady Bird is considered an indie movie and not widely available, so I wanted to make a couple of recommendations if you're not familiar with her work.

Frances Ha is my absolute favorite of her work so far (I haven't seen Lady Bird yet though). She wrote it with Noah Baumbach (who is also her life partner) and he directed it. She plays the lead as well, and it's just a really light and sweet take on the whole 20-something life in New York with its typical ups and downs. 

Mistress America is a close second- Same team, she co-wrote it with Baumbach, he directed and she is one of the leads in it. She also has a producer credit on this one. She plays a kind of complicated character and this one has more of a plot which gets complicated as the film goes on by her character's chaotic behavior. But there's also still this sort of lightness and sweetness that pervades the film and her presence is just unmistakably special, I don't know how else to put it. 

Last, this is not a strong recommendation, because it's not a very good movie. But if you become a fan of her acting because of the other two, and you are sitting around wanting something on background, you might want to check out Lola Versus. It's sort of a gentle hipster chick flick, nothing special and the writing is poor (she didn't write this one, only acts in it). But she's still glorious Greta Gerwig.

I've never seen any of her earlier work in the whole "mumblecore" scene or whatever, has anyone seen that and have anything to recommend? She's also in a film with Annette Bening and Elle Fanning called 20th Century Women that I somehow have not managed to see yet, but really want to.
bluth_banananeilfgksdarwinfeeshy

Comments

• Her movies are good but they are too hip for me.
  • I would second the recommendation for Frances Ha.

It's currently available to stream on Netflix, if anyone was wanting to check it out -

https://www.netflix.com/watch/70257412
    akritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Her movies are good but they are too hip for me.
    Not me. I'm super hip. Lol

No, I know what you mean and at first i was like... Hmm not sure about this hipster stuff. But she has a sincerity that shines through to me.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I need to give Frances Ha another go. I saw it at the cinema when it was released, and came out hating it because I thought it was just too pretentious. I think my sensibilities have probably changed since then!
    akritenbrink
    amyja89 said:
    I need to give Frances Ha another go. I saw it at the cinema when it was released, and came out hating it because I thought it was just too pretentious. I think my sensibilities have probably changed since then!
    I guess I could see how it would come across as pretentious. Maybe because I am so much older than those people and have a certain nostalgia about my 20s, and had a sort of similar life (albiet not in New York), I just thought it was sweet.

One thing I like about "millenials" is the attitudes about everything seem both more hopeful and more sincere than when I was that age, when everyone seemed to be trying to win the gold medal in the Depression Olympics. I actually do have problems with depression, and I always felt like fighting it rather than wearing it like a fashion statement. So that's part of what I love about Greta Gerwig, in her writing and her characterizations as an actress, she is kind of loopy and glorious and TRYING... even if her character is failing, she's still got a certain bouyancy that I like to see in an actress and a character.
    amyja89
    Finally seeing Lady Bird tonight WOOT WOOT
    Mofojones333
    Update: Lady Bird was awesome. I am very tired though so everyone can just read other reviews online that also say it was awesome. LOL
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 22
    I'm a millenial and I think Frances Ha is meta-hip. It's making fun of its hipness. I found it to be extremely down-to-earth while still acknowledging that some people are more naturally artsy than others (and that's a good and bad thing).
  • I am not familiar with Greta Gerwig, but I'm a fan of Saoirse Ronan and decided to check out Lady Bird due to all the glowing reviews. I thought it was just okay, pretty average for a coming-of-age film and I especially disliked the ending. Oh well, we can't all like a certain movie. Saoirse was great, though.
    Chinaskiakritenbrink
    Best Director nomination along with 4 others for Lady Bird, woot
    Reni said:
    I am not familiar with Greta Gerwig, but I'm a fan of Saoirse Ronan and decided to check out Lady Bird due to all the glowing reviews. I thought it was just okay, pretty average for a coming-of-age film and I especially disliked the ending. Oh well, we can't all like a certain movie. Saoirse was great, though.
    You mean you didn't start crying during the prom scene and keep it up all the way to the end of the film like me and the random dude next to me? LOL 
    Reni
  • You mean you didn't start crying during the prom scene and keep it up all the way to the end of the film like me and the random dude next to me? LOL 

Well, I did tear up a bit, I'll admit (but I'm an easy crier so that says nothing lol). What I disliked - and I do have issues with my own mother so no doubt this is a huge influence on my opinion - is that in the end, Lady Bird was the one who 'had to' make all the amends. She lied to her mother, sure, but then was literally begging her to speak to her and she just wouldn't give up the silent treatment. Like, she's a cunt all the time and criticizes her daughter constantly (and it's not like she's a super rebellious or misbehaving teenager) and then Lady Bird has to be the one to call her and apologize? Sorry lady, but running into the airport after departure and writing a bunch of letters that end up in the trash is not enough. She should have to make at least some kind of effort, but she doesn't. And because it (presumably) all works out in the end does not make it okay in my eyes. And I know that she struggled, too, and I don't doubt she loves her daughter but I still don't like the overall message I got from this.
    Oh I see, I can see how you would feel that way. I don't look at films that way, whether I agree or disagree with the actions of the characters as people, but sometimes it is somewhat hard to enjoy if it hits too close to home.

I try to just look at it as whether it makes sense within the context of the film, and I think it did; the mom was really struggling with a lot of shit, and not handling it all very well all the time.  So she made some mistakes and said some really bitchy stuff  but even though on one level I was like, wow she's really being a bitch- On another level I felt like it was great writing and acting because it seemed very real, like everything you saw on the screen could really happen in a family.
    JaimieTReni
  • Yes, it definitely made sense in the film's universe, but as you said, it just hit too close to home for me. I studied film at uni so I can mostly detach, but relatable parent issues... they're my kryptonite.
    akritenbrink