The Lost Boys

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
edited January 26 in Movies
Holy shit! What a great commute home! I was completely ok with sitting in traffic today and listening to this commissioned podcast.

Big ups to Zombeaver13 for this and representing Santa Cruz (and thanks for the shout out).

8 year old me was all about this and Monster Squad. I watched the shit t outta both of em and it was funny to revist them in my 30's. Definitely noticed some things that didn't seem like a big deal at the time. For example, jacked up sax player at the beginning and that fuckin Rob Lowe poster. I was dying when the guys brought both these up, as well as 'why the fuck is Sam getting tucked in and taking baths at his age?'. I don't know how you do things in Phoenix  in 1987 Sam, but here in Santa Carla you grow the fuck up.

I got more to add but I had to give props for another super fun commissioned podcast and get this thread going!

Edit: Dunno why it's being formatted all funky

FreddyKingKobraJoshuaHeterMichellecdrive

Comments

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited January 26
    For sure. This was a good one. Of all the creepy shit going on in TLB, the child rearing of Corey Prime never occurred to me. Most likely because I was still taking baths at the time I first saw it.

On a related note: what was your first "sexy poster"? Mine was Kathy Ireland in a bikini. Bought it with my allowance while out running around with my degenerate friends in middle school. Still remember when my mom saw it and said "meh, that's classy enough, I suppose."

ChinaskiMichelle
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    you gotta admit tho. the Haimster is having like the best bath ever haha

Michelle
    oh and we have earthquakes here in 'Santa Carla' so he's an earthquake away from getting fried. might wanna move that boombox!
    Michelle
    Freddy said:
    On a related note: what was your first "sexy poster"? Mine was Kathy Ireland in a bikini. Bought it with my allowance while out running around with my degenerate friends in middle school. Still remember when my mom saw it and said "meh, that's classy enough, I suppose."
    haha not Rob Lowe that's for sure! Cindy Crawford for me!
    Freddy
    Well Mr. Chinaski, I now know what poster to get you for your birthday:

ChinaskiA_Ron_Hubbard
    Freddy said:
    Well Mr. Chinaski, I now know what poster to get you for your birthday:

haha oh man, i'd frame the fuck out of that poster!
    edited January 26
    ^^^Have to name it "The Mole and The Chisel"
    shit, i kinda wanted 'Crawford at Lowe Times'
    Freddy
  • I laughed so god damn hard at Kenny HGH
    FreddyDreamRycherMichellecdriveA_Ron_Hubbard
  • edited January 26
    I laughed so god damn hard at Kenny HGH
    Fun fact: Tim Cappello was Tina Turner's sax player for quite a few years. He appeared in some of her videos back then. 

His Wikipedia page says this about him: "He is notable for his muscular physique, his sexually provocative movements during his performances and for his tendency to perform shirtless, with his skin oiled and with his hair in a ponytail."  :D 

Great choice for a fantasy football champion. The Lost Boys is without a doubt my favorite vampire flick.
    ChinaskiMichelle
  • Man, I love these guys - best podcasters ever!  :) Lost Boys was one of my favorite movies in the day so this was a great trip down memory lane. I think those of us who were Bay Area kids in the 1980s have a strong connection to the movie. The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk was a popular summer day trip and part of the fun for me was seeing all the locations and thinking “I’ve been there!”. The trestle bridge scene was the best. 

The funky, surfer, hippie beach town culture that I think the film captured so beautifully gradually disappeared after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, which destroyed most of Pacific Avenue, which was the heart of the town - or maybe I just see the town through adult eyes now. Anyway, I  guess that’s another reason I love this movie - nostalgia for my younger years.

A few thoughts as I listened - 

I think Corey Haim was 13 - 14 in the movie (the same age he was during production). It didn’t seem weird to me at the time (closet monsters, mom tucking him in, etc.). In hindsight I think it was establishing that he was that geeky kid who believed in comic book heroes and movie monsters compared to his “James Dean” bad boy brother. 

He may be taking a bath because it’s an older house and the bathroom doesn’t have a shower.

Dianne Wiest’s character (the mom) was the target of the master vampire. That’s why he had his “Lost Boys” recruit Michael. He needed a mother to help keep his “children” in line. Also, her mom in this film is like her mom in the movie “Parenthood”. 

Yes, this was the film where the two Coreys first met each other.

1985’s “Fright Night” has the feral vampire look.

keep up the great work, guys! 

ChinaskiMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I bloody loved this movie as an 80s teen. I watched it so many times when it came out on video I could probably have quoted it verbatim. Cue a 20+ year break and I tried watching it again a few years ago when I was introducing my daughter to the wonders of 80s teen movies, and I found it it really terrible. I almost couldn’t sit through it. It’s like a really bad 80s music video that just goes on way too long. Some 80s movies really hold up, but I don’t believe this does, sadly. I am excited to hear the podcast, though. 

That said, I will always have a soft spot for the Coreys. Years ago my brother and I used to have Corey-a-thons where we would get all the videos from the video shop that both were in (think there were about 6?) and watch them back to back. Good times. 
    ChinaskiMichelle
    Dee said:
    I bloody loved this movie as an 80s teen. I watched it so many times when it came out on video I could probably have quoted it verbatim.
    i use to drive my sister's crazy whenever we had chinese food and they'd go for the rice.. 'maggots, michael. you're eating maggots. how do they taste?'
    DeeAntManBeeA_Ron_HubbardMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited January 27
    @silimom224 I was also a Bay Area teen in the 80s.  What part were you in?  

My friends and I always used to go to SC in the summer, a weekend day trip and back home at night, tired and sunburned but totally happy and relaxed.  I miss those times!  
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Came in here to say the same thing.  "Kenny HGH" was cracking me up!
    And @Chinaski got a shout out!

Hey @Chinaski I was gonna ask you since you're from the Santa Cruz area.  So a few years ago driving back from Carmel, we drove through Santa Cruz.  The amusement park was closed, which was a bummer, but then we went to this place called The Mystery Spot.  Have you ever been there?  I thought it was pretty cool, and just the woods it's in are beautiful. But man.... that place fffffughked me up bad.  My equilibrium was all wacked out like I was seasick and I almost had to get my wife to drive us back to San Jose.  Just wondering if you've been there and what you thought about it.  Also did we dodge a tourist trap bullet with the amusement park being closed or is it worth going to next time we're there?  
    Chinaski
    edited January 29
    @cdrive - first of all how did you like Carmel? it’s one of my favorite places ever. re: the mystery spot haha. years living here and i still never been. i know several people that have and were pretty tripped out by it. tbh - i didn’t know what it was for years, i always saw bumper stickers but never gave it much thought. come to fine out i live pretty damn close to it. as far as the boardwalk goes i wouldn’t say you dodged a tourist trap bullet, but you really only need to experience once for what it is. personally, i hate crowds and for the most part people are the worse so I seldom go (prob been there like twice in the last 5 years). if you’re into hiking pack your hiking gear next time you visit. there’s some gnarly trails out here, lemme know and i’ll throw some suggestions your way!
    cdrive
    Carmel is amazing. Every time I’m in that area I make a point to get down there.  I’d definitely be up to hiking in those woods around Santa Cruz. Next time I’m there I’ll hit you up for those suggestions! 
    Chinaski
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks man, I was pretty proud of that one.
    Michelle
  • ZesderZesder Tasmania
    Davids plan for Michael was for him to be eaten by Star and Laddie the so that they would become full Vampires. He used David's attraction to Star as bait and partially converted him so he couldn't leave. He didn't count on Star's attraction to Michael.