Groundhog Day's "Groundhog Day" Marathon on 2/2/18 @ 12:01AM EST!

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited February 12 in Movies
We've been talking about this internally and teasing it at Lunch, but I want to make it officially official; we'll be doing a 24 hour charity stream where we watch the movie Groundhog Day, a movie about being forced to repeatedly experience Groundhog Day, continuously for 24 hours.  I say continuously, but here's the deal, the movie's runtime is 1:42, and I believe that is with credits.  So every two hours we will have about 15-20 minutes to stretch, take care of any biological processes, and reset for the next showing.  A new showing of Groundhog Day will begin at the top of every even hour. (12:00, 2:00, 4:00, etc).

To be clear, the first showing will start at 12:01 AM Eastern Standard Time on Friday, February 2nd, 2018.  We will be signing off around 11:59pm of the same day.  Twitch Event link here.

The showing will happen live on twitch.tv/baldmove.  We will have the following minimum setup, camera on me and Jim on the couch, the showing of Groundhog Day done "LiveWatch" style so Twitch doesn't shut us down.  I'm aiming to have a third camera in the studio to get the event at a macro level so you can see that yes, we are actually stuck in the time loop with Phil.  We won't be wearing headphones because of the 24 hour nature of the event, so it's likely a bit if sound will bleed through the mics to make it more entertaining to watch.  We'll have chat open the whole time if you care to interact with us.

We've been wanting to do some kind of stunt like this for years, but our timing has been off or we didn't feel like we had a good concept, but I think we're ready now.  And, we have a stellar charity to support.  If you recall, one of the defining moments of Phil Connors character is his heroic efforts to save "Pop", an elderly homeless man.  In Groundhog Day, even with godlike powers, saving Pop proves impossible.  

This strikes us as a bit fatalistic.  In our travels across our country, we've seen how homelessness has increasingly been an issue that keeps getting worse but isn't getting the focused attention it deserves.  From Huntsville to Atlanta, to Seattle, heck right here in our neighborhoods in Cincinnati, far too many people are forced to live in the streets..  To that end, we've decided to dedicate our marathon to Pop, and direct all funds raised during Groundhog Day to the National Alliance to End Homelessness, a non-partisan, highly rated non-profit that aims to work locally and nationally on permanent solutions to get individuals and families back on their feet.  As Phil discovered, it's not about keeping people warm and fed for a night or two.  We need shelters, we need soup kitchens, and they all need our time and money, but we also need to fund the work of research, study, policy and planning to make a real headway on the problem. 

We're not Twitch partners, so we'll have a special link for donating during the marathon and we'll be updating our progress throughout the event.  We're excited for what surely will be a mind altering and butt numbing experience of watching Groundhog Day for 24 hours, and to see how much money we can raise for a worthy charity!  
gguenotMurderbearTravisJovial_FalconjhparkNoobieDoozMichelleNoelJaimieTUnderwoodand 20 others.

Comments

• I eagerly await watching two grown men descend into Bill Murray induced madness around hour 16. 
    MurderbearNoobieDoozMichelleMelonusk
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I'm bummed that I'll be working/sleeping through the majority of this but very excited that by the time I get off work on Friday and I am finally able to watch, the madness will have already set in at that point.
    gguenotMichelleJoshuaHeterMelonusk
  • Bonus points if it lines up with Bill Murray’s similar descent. 
    MurderbearMichelle
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Damn, I guess I was writing the same thing when you posted @Alkaid13, I'm glad we're all excited about the same thing! Ha
    Alkaid13
  • One of the two of you must learn to do the Bill Murray character from Caddyshack - doing lines from Groundhog Day.
  • The way my schedule looks at the moment, I'll be joining you guys around 6 or 7am eastern time... Hopefully you'll still be talking about the movie a little. :)
  • I'm all in!  I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, and it's one of my favorite movies, so I'll be doing my best to join you guys for the entire 24 hours!
    A_Ron_HubbardTaraC73
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    For this thread only, I'm re-purposing the "insightful" tag as "insane".
    Alkaid13MichellehypergenesbbazjensterMofojones333jhparkgjulleenrusskellyTaraC73hisdudeness915and 2 others.
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    I'm in. I'll be there at 12:01AM boys. normally me and my wife take turns with the night feeding for the baby. I think i'll take them all on for that night. Only Bald Move can make me do that! maybe we should support you guys by sending you fast food delivered to the BM Headquarters.
    A_Ron_HubbardMichellegjulleenrusskellyTaraC73
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited January 29
    @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim I got an idea that might be terrible or hilarious or both - I'll donate $40 if within the 8:00pm showing, with both of y'all on the brink of self-induced insanity, you guys sing at least the first two verses and chorus lines of Sonny & Cher's duet "I Got You Babe".  One of you takes Cher's lines, the other takes Sonny's, who takes who doesn't matter.  Come on.  40 bucks man.  If that isn't enough I encourage other Bald Movers to sweeten the pot.  
    A_Ron_HubbardWa1kingDistanceMichellebazjensterMofojones333gjulleenTaraC73JaimieTjenetee
  • The real question is will you guys ever watch groundhog day ever again after this ? 
    darwinfeeshyTaraC73ken hale
  • I will check in on you guys upon waking up Friday and again after work on Friday . Hopefully by that time you guys are still awake 
  • FernNYC17 said:
    I'm in. I'll be there at 12:01AM boys. normally me and my wife take turns with the night feeding for the baby. I think i'll take them all on for that night. Only Bald Move can make me do that! maybe we should support you guys by sending you fast food delivered to the BM Headquarters.
    That's a great idea . I will gladly send them breakfast if they're interested
    TaraC73
  • cdrive said:
    @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim I got an idea that might be terrible or hilarious or both - I'll donate $40 if within the 8:00pm showing, with both of y'all on the brink of self-induced insanity, you guys sing at least the first two verses and chorus lines of Sonny & Cher's duet "I Got You Babe".  One of you takes Cher's lines, the other takes Sonny's, who takes who doesn't matter.  Come on.  40 bucks man.  If that isn't enough I encourage other Bald Movers to sweeten the pot.  
    I’ll donate $40 if during the 4am hour you both speak in 3rd person for that movie showing.

or if you want to combine it in @cdrive ‘s hour I’m down. It will just be a wild 8pm!
    cdriveA_Ron_HubbardMofojones333TaraC73
  • edited January 29
    cdrive said:
    I'll double this! I'll pledge an additional 40 dollars to the National Alliance to End Homelessness for your sweet, sweet, rendition of this lyrical and musical masterpiece. And, to encourage others to pile on, I'll match up to an additional 60 dollars worth of donations for the ultimate singing-based bribery!
    cdriveA_Ron_HubbardgjulleenrusskellyTaraC73
  • ill miss a great big portion ! most likely ill miss 12-6pm (because i work friday)
    realistically ill be able to watch something form 8pm to 12 on friday night if im LUCKY!

• MichelleMichelle California
    FernNYC17 said:
    Time for another pizza delivery! .... maybe.  :)
    A_Ron_Hubbardgjulleen
  • MBMomMBMom Los Angeles
    Love this idea and your chosen charity. I’ll be watching, laughing and donating!
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited January 30
    How about... everyone (who wants to participate) sponsor Aron, or Jim, or both of them. Pledge $10, $1, 10 cents, or whatever for every hour they stay awake.

gguenotA_Ron_HubbardMichelleMofojones333gjulleenMBMom
  • I feel like they should make Sandra live tweet for 24 hours straight, too
    JoshuaHeterA_Ron_HubbardBrandonTheBard
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited January 30
    I think that would violate some employment laws and maybe some human rights laws.
    gguenotJoshuaHeterMichelleMofojones333ken hale
  • One of the few Bill Murray movies I've never seen... Perfect time to watch it. Can't wait. (even though I won't be doing it for 24 hours) 
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    Wow, so you're going to watch this movie 12 times in a row?
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i'm seriously considering taking friday off and partaking as long as i can
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • So have you guys nailed down the perfect booze/caffeine ratio to be loose enough to have fun but sober enough to go the full time?
  • edited January 30
    Made sure to take Feb 2nd off work when you first mentioned that this might be a possibility! Looking forward to sticking it out with you guys (and then promptly throwing my copy of Groundhog Day out the window on the 3rd.)
    A_Ron_Hubbardstevenduran1240
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited January 30
    This is awesome. Guys will start around 1pm Friday afternoon and finish around 1PM Saturday afternoon my time. I’ll miss the middle binge but I’ll get the start and finish. And it will make the last few hours of work on Friday very enjoyable. 
    TaraC73
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Take piano lessons sometime during the marathon.
    A_Ron_HubbardJaimieT
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    Good job and great way to help a very worthy cause.  Will definitely try to tune in at some point.
  • Hatorian said:
    This is awesome. Guys will start around 1pm Friday afternoon and finish around 1PM Saturday afternoon my time. I’ll miss the middle binge but I’ll get the start and finish. And it will make the last few hours of work on Friday very enjoyable. 
    I'm the opposite - I'll miss the start and the end because their midnight is my 6 am. I love the guys, but not enough to get up that early lol. I'll watch as much as I can in the middle.
    HatorianKela15jenetee