Groundhog Day's "Groundhog Day" Marathon on 2/2/18 @ 12:01AM EST!

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    The gods honest truth is, while I got punchy a few times, amazingly I didn't really feel fatigued or tired through out the event. Certainly not more than an average long day. In fact, it was an hour after I got home before I fell asleep, I was so excited and pumped up by what had just happened. I woke up at 930am the next day feeling great!  I think the constant stimulation of everyone hanging out in chat was a big part of that. There was always something interesting or funny happening.
    JTKIIIMurderbearNoobieDoozSchluppMichelleShumhypergenesbMofojones333
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I clipped some of the signing.  Some funny shit!
    https://clips.twitch.tv/RelievedWisePhoneFloof

MichelleroxbombersbazjensterOliviaDhisdudeness915darwinfeeshydaveh
  • cdrive said:
    I clipped some of the signing.  Some funny shit!
    https://clips.twitch.tv/RelievedWisePhoneFloof

One of my favorite parts!!   :D
    Michellecdrive
  • Twitch muted like the last 5 minutes of your final video, the very end, due to copyright infringement. The movie wasn't even playing then.  What's that about?
  • DrKen said:
    Twitch muted like the last 5 minutes of your final video, the very end, due to copyright infringement. The movie wasn't even playing then.  What's that about?
    I think it was the music.
    DrKen said:
    Twitch muted like the last 5 minutes of your final video, the very end, due to copyright infringement. The movie wasn't even playing then.  What's that about?
    Yup, ironically the Scott Pilgrim video game soundtrack by Anamanagucci, which I'm sure if we were actually playing the game would not be muted, haha.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    DrKen said:
    Yup, ironically the Scott Pilgrim video game soundtrack by Anamanagucci, which I'm sure if we were actually playing the game would not be muted, haha.
    How do they regulate that sort of thing? Maybe this is a dumb question, but do they have people who are watch-dogging for copyrighted material? Or is it more like a Shazam thing, where they have an algorithm, that picks up on recognizable songs? It is this sort of thing that makes me feel really old and out of it. 
    It's automated. YouTube has the same deal. Just pattern matching, you can often fool it by mirroring the video or reversing the stereo for audio, but different services have various levels of sophistication.
    It's automated. YouTube has the same deal. Just pattern matching, you can often fool it by mirroring the video or reversing the stereo for audio, but different services have various levels of sophistication.
    That makes sense. Like I said, I feel pretty lame for not putting that together, but what a weird world we live in.
    Just an update, the NAEH called us yesterday to profusely thank us and the community for the campaign and resulting donation, and would he happy to come on a podcast to talk about their work and thank us all.  We'll be having a follow up call on Monday to plan all that.  Stay tuned!
    Shumcdrivephoenyx1023NoobieDoozJoshuaHeterbazjensterBrieanneJaimieTOliviaDhisdudeness915and 15 others.
  • Be sure to hold their feet to the fire if they didnt watch the entire stream
    hisdudeness915FreddyWarpFox
  • Isn't there a copy of the marathon somewhere? I wasn't able to watch it live. And, if so, is there a particular viewing you'd recommend?
    We pulled down all the video, I'm not sure if it's online yet anywhere. I think the last two were the most fun maybe? We did the duet on the second to last one and the last one had the dramatic finish. The absolute worst was the second or third showing, when we were having non stop tech and network issues. There was a lot of funny stuff throughout. We had some visual groundhog day stuff that was pretty good. 

Looking at my notes, I think at 207am we did a simultaneous eating experiment. At 645am the first groundhog pop up occurred. And at 825pm we sung "I Got You, Babe." Anyone have other highlights?
    JaimieTMichelleBRinMilwaukee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Lunchtime and the avalanche of food. 
  • Isn't it this on YouTube? I'm confused... 
    Michelle
  • I put all the videos up on our youtube channel sometime yesterday.  There's going to be a lot more content popping up on there this year so it might not be a bad idea to subscribe if you haven't already: http://www.youtube.com/baldmove
    MichelleBRinMilwaukee
    Yeah, I saw these pop-up and figured it was @Jim at work on things. He mentioned that he would be doing that on a recent lunch if memory serves. 
  • Yes, subscribing IS a good idea. Thought I was. Can't wait to enjoy this and YES I will donate after my first laugh....
  • I checked in a few times during the day and enjoyed it quite a lot.  Confession:  I didn’t make a donation.  Planned to come back in the evening, but was up against a coding deadline and never got back to “fun” stuff.  Can I still donate?  

Super proud to “know” you guys.  That was a great event for a great cause.
    Through Bald Move, yeah, until next Groundhog's Day, probably.  But if you just want to help out in general: https://endhomelessness.org/help-end-homelessness/support-our-work/
    Freddy
  • It was nice briefly reliving the experience listening to the cast this morning. Had some good laughs on my commute 
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    gguenot said:
    It was nice briefly reliving the experience listening to the cast this morning. Had some good laughs on my commute 
    Seconded!  I listened while getting ready for work, and found it very insightful.  I also found myself proud of our community that we came together to do this, but mainly proud of Jim & ARon for organizing it and sitting through all 24 hours in the name of charity.  That is super admirable.   I :heart: these guys.
    FernNYC17gguenot
  • Listening to the Aftermath podcast....just so proud of the community here and being a part of it and making a difference.  Really great interview also to focus on the problem out there.  Great work everyone!
    ken haleMichelleFreddyNoobieDooz
  • edited March 2018
    They mention, pretty early on in the podcast, that they should've started at 6am, but I disagree.  That would mean you're ending at 6 am the next day, when you've got potentially much fewer viewers to make that big push of donations.  Likewise for the start time.  I don't know what the donation/hour rate was throughout the marathon, but I'd imagine the first and last are big ones, as would be your standard "prime-time" hours.  So the ideal start time is probably more like 8 or 9 pm.
    Michelledarwinfeeshy
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited March 2018
    Loved the podcast followup today. I even got a bit misty-eyed thinking about what that $10k could do for that organization. Great work J&A, and bravo to the community. Easily top Bald Move moment to date! Let's step up another notch next year!
    ken haleMichelleFreddyNoobieDooz
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    That follow up podcast was good stuff. I'm on the fence about a lot of political issues and believe the morality of helping others is a personal issue, so its always refreshing to hear an organization discuss their position from a pragmatic standpoint.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 2018
    Here's an on-brand idea for 2019: they could do a "binge mode" style rewatch of all of Game of Thrones leading up to the final season, except instead of 1 season per week, do 1 season per day for 7 straight days, and live stream it all on Twitch with a charity to donate to again.

Really enjoyed the follow-up pod as well, so proud of the guys and the community.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 2018
    Next year, you guys could do a 24 hour Les Podewell marathon (maybe call it 24 Hours of Le Pode). He's the actor that plays the homeless guy. Only has about 12 credits to his name, including Groundhog Day. Most are TV movies, so there would be no shortage of lulls.
  • Loved the podcast followup today. I even got a bit misty-eyed thinking about what that $10k could do for that organization. Great work J&A, and bravo to the community. Easily top Bald Move moment to date! Let's step up another notch next year!
    @hypergenesb ; I agree, misty-eyed here too, listening to the followup podcast!  :)   

Great work, @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim ;  And it was a truly great interview you did, A.ron!!  :D And the guy you talked to seemed like a great guy in that organization.