Why did my game screen display shrink?

CoryCory New Scotland
I don't usually play PS3 these days, but I was playing it a week or two ago, and it was fine.

Today when I turned it on I'm not getting a full sized screen during any game play.  The XBR menu is fine, as is YouTube, but when I go into a game I get a reduced screen (720 on my old Bravia 1080 HDTV) for some reason.

Here's an example, the game displays in the white/grey area, and I now have black all around the outside.  I've played around with the Game settings and the Video settings, but nothing truly fixes it.  What gives?

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited January 29
    Did you check the TV's screen settings? (Is that "The XBR menu is fine"?)

Also try switching HDMI ports for the hell of it.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I can zoom in via my TV, but don't remember having to before.

Switched HDMI ports like you suggested, no difference.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Weird. Is it just one game or all? I'd maybe check all the display and scaling options. I'm sure you have but that's about all I got. Maybe do a hard reset on the ps3?
  • First I'd go to the video settings section and verify it's set correctly to HDMI/1080 and if that's set up correctly try shutting down and restarting in safe mode (hold the power button for like 7-8 seconds until it beeps again) see how it looks in that mode then restart into normal mode again.

Also how do Blu-rays look? If the PS3 looks completely normal in the menu and in some apps but is suddenly reduced while playing games it sounds like there may be an HDCP issue where it's down-scaling the resolution for certain playback sources. If that's the case it could be a settings issue or possibly an issue with your HDMI cable (kinked up/dog snacked on it/etc).
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I haven't tried any blu-rays, but the safe mode made no difference.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    ghm3 said:
    First I'd go to the video settings section and verify it's set correctly to HDMI/1080 and if that's set up correctly try shutting down and restarting in safe mode (hold the power button for like 7-8 seconds until it beeps again) see how it looks in that mode then restart into normal mode again.

Also how do Blu-rays look? If the PS3 looks completely normal in the menu and in some apps but is suddenly reduced while playing games it sounds like there may be an HDCP issue where it's down-scaling the resolution for certain playback sources. If that's the case it could be a settings issue or possibly an issue with your HDMI cable (kinked up/dog snacked on it/etc).

@Cory - That was the other thing I was gonna say — try a different HDMI cable. When things like this suddenly glitch, I like testing out all the hardware before doing the resets.
    Mofojones333
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited January 30
    I've only had this happen when I was playing through a capture card like an El Gato or something.  Something that fucks with the HDCP stuff on the PS3.  Any chance there is something like that happening?  If I recall right, a lot of the non-Netflix and Hulu kind of apps and the main menus aren't using HDCP, but games and movies, etc do.  HDCP is the digital copy protection bullshit they put on it to keep you making copies of DVD and Blurays.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks guys, I'm working all night tonight (and did last night), so will try out a blu-ray tomorrow.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    So I tried a blu-ray and it works fine (same as YouTube), and doesn't need to be zoomed in like the game does.

My HDMI cable goes directly from my PS3 to my Sony TV (both being Sony I'd think there'd be less chance of a problem).

I don't remember it being like this before, but maybe it was (I don't have to zoom in every time I play a game, just that one time and it saves the setting as zoomed in for every game since).

Maybe I changed the zoom setting and forgot or didn't notice?