Watchmen

Has anyone heard much about the Watchmen series coming on HBO?
gguenot

Comments

• There was a thread a while back when it was initially announced, haven't heard much since:

http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/3562/watchmen-tv-series-from-damon-lindelof-in-the-works-at-hbo
  • It's officially in development, they just announced the director for the pilot. I don't think they've started casting yet.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I didn't know Lindelof was doing this WHaaaaaaaaaaTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Holy shit, this is the thing I'm most excited for now.

I really hope they update, like, nearly every aspect of the story that involves women though. The Watchmen's "handling" of women is almost comical. 

Elisa
  • JaimieT said:

I really hope they update, like, nearly every aspect of the story that involves women though. The Watchmen's "handling" of women is almost comical. 

Yeah, it is NOT a story that has aged particularly well in that regard. 

Still, I did enjoy it, and am cautiously optimistic. 
    JaimieT
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited January 2018

Strategic hiring of a woman? 
  • She directed "No Room at the Inn." On that alone, I'm looking forward to this show :)
    JaimieTElisa
  • New trailer dropped. Looks fucking incredible 
    ChinaskiElisa
  • Holy shit, that trailer! Maybe I'm crazy but it gave me serious Leftovers-vibes (or maybe that was just Regina King).
    gguenotElisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    yeah looks rad! i'm pumped! 

gguenotNoelElisaDummy
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Love it ❤️ 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:

I believe the story begins after the graphic novel ends. Opens the door for lots of Lindelof interpretation. 
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    asmallcat said:
    JaimieT said:

I believe the story begins after the graphic novel ends. Opens the door for lots of Lindelof interpretation. 
    I'm pretty sure this is set decades after the comic series.  Ozymandias is an old man now.  

The real question is how long they can wait/avoid having Dr. Manhattan show up?
    Teresa from ConcordJaimieT
  • New trailer just dropped...

ElisaDummyKela15
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    awookiee said:
    New trailer just dropped...

oh.hell.fuckin.yeah!!!
    OpusWhoElisa
  • I have a soft spot for Lindelof, and I absolutely loved the graphic novel when I was a teenager. I'm ready for this. 
    OpusWhoElisa
  • The first BM Podcast for “We Do” is up today. Joy. Rapture. Switching over Following The Leftovers feed. Pretty fucking stoked over here.
    Dummy
    If anyone is getting prepped for the show and are wanting to do some reading other than the original Watchmen series proper, DC did make a set of Before Watchmen mini series.

They have varying levels of quality just FYI.  The Ozymandias, Silk Spectre and Dr. Manhattan series have great art, but they aren't amazing.  

The best one that answers the most questions IMO is the Minutemen series Darwyn Cooke did.  It's excellent. 

Light Comic Spoilers . . .

Doomsday Clock is more of a DC book and features the Watchmen characters entering the DC universe.  Dr. Manhattan left the Watchmen universe at the end of the original story and searched the Multiverse until he saw the DC one.  He did some cosmic level alterations to the DC universe just to eff with it apparently and it was eventually discovered by the DC characters (Batman and the Flash) and that is effectively when this Doomsday Clock series starts.  These aren't really spoilers, just describing the setting for the series.  

FYI, the Watchmen and DC characters are totally alien to each other.  The comics in the Watchmen universe are pirate comics, not ones with DC characters. That's why all that Black Freighter stuff is part of the OG mini series.  A lot of DC comics in universe are based on the actual DC heroes. 

ken hale
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    @rhcoop I don't know anything more than anyone else, so I need to disclose that up front. 

Independently, I listened to the Alan Sepinwall interview on the 'Pickle Me This' podcast, and Alan said that he was most excited about Watchmen this fall, and also said that Damon Lindelof was 'adapting' the material, but not in the expected way; and what Alan has seen has been highly influenced by a 'specific book'.  I assume he means a sequel book/graphic novel that was written after the original series.

I am hoping that someone that is familiar with any of the works outside of the original graphic novels that has seen the trailers/previews can comment on this.  Maybe suggest some pre-requisite reading if there are lore-whores in attendance?

• HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited September 27
    Cecily said:
    @rhcoop I don't know anything more than anyone else, so I need to disclose that up front. 

Independently, I listened to the Alan Sepinwall interview on the 'Pickle Me This' podcast, and Alan said that he was most excited about Watchmen this fall, and also said that Damon Lindelof was 'adapting' the material, but not in the expected way; and what Alan has seen has been highly influenced by a 'specific book'.  I assume he means a sequel book/graphic novel that was written after the original series.

I am hoping that someone that is familiar with any of the works outside of the original graphic novels that has seen the trailers/previews can comment on this.  Maybe suggest some pre-requisite reading if there are lore-whores in attendance?

I haven't listened to the Sepinwall interview, but as far as I know, the only thing that Lindelof is adapting is the setting. All the other Watchman related source material is prequel stuff except for a DC crossover that mainly focused on Superman. I kind of doubt that Superman is going to be a main character on the HBO show.

If Lindelof has been highly influenced by a specific book, it's probably something unrelated to Watchmen that he's just drawing themes and concepts from, kind of like George Lucas was inspired by Kurosawa films.
    ken hale
    edited September 27
    Cecily said:

I hussled over to listen to this interview, and while I was there I just transcribed what he said since, to me, it's pretty clear he's just talking about the Watchmen comic book. It might be confusing since he called it a just-book at the end, but as a fan of Watchmen it makes sense to me how a show might be spiritually true to Watchmen even if it's about a different plot and characters, so I didn't infer a different book in this context. (I don't want to assume you haven't read it though... I can't tell.)

I think there are other context clues too, like this whole digression coming off of him clarifying the word "adapting."

--

"The thing I'm most intigued to see more of is Watchmen on HBO, which Damen Lindeloff is adapting. Although adapting is maybe not the right word because it's not just a retelling of the comic book or the Zach Snyder movie. It's a sequel set in the present 35 years after the comic. And I've only seen a little bit, I'm not even really supposed to talk about opinions and stuff but what he is doing is in many ways a huge departure and in other ways like really, really spiritually true to, you know, one of the favorite books I've ever read. Leftovers is my favorite show of the last 10 years, so I want to see whatever he's gonna do and hopefully this works out."
    Elisa
  • After reading as much of everything as I can I am expecting this is be a world that is ONLY a direct sequel to the OG graphic novel. The movie comes in as it is very faithful to the original book visually  and  story (though lacking spirit imo) except for 2 BIG SPOTS/EVENTS AT THE END. So in a way if you dont have time to catch up by reading the movie will suffice. The biggest difference I wont mention-looks to be referenced in the show, from the previews, more than once.

one hint at what to look up...calamari.
    OpusWho said:
    After reading as much of everything as I can I am expecting this is be a world that is ONLY a direct sequel to the OG graphic novel. The movie comes in as it is very faithful to the original book visually  and  story (though lacking spirit imo) except for 2 BIG SPOTS/EVENTS AT THE END. So in a way if you dont have time to catch up by reading the movie will suffice. The biggest difference I wont mention-looks to be referenced in the show, from the previews, more than once.

I assumed as much because the book ends in a potential scandal whereas the movie does not. While they both concern a lie, at least in the movie the lie had the potential to be true under certain circumstances. In the book, the lie was entirely fabricated as no such entity is known to exist. 
    OpusWho
    Good summary video from Alt Shift X:

DummyBrandonTheBardOpusWho
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Thanks @JaimieT. That was a great breakdown. I’m super excited for the new series. I decided to reread the graphic novel. I sort of wish I didn’t because the today-me didn’t like it as much as the first-read me. Perhaps, like alt/shift mentioned, there are now more dark hero stories. Back in the day Watchman was an original, interesting take on the belief of justice for all.  

I was was going to rewatch the movie but now think I’ll start again with Lindelof and hope he does the same Leftovers magic I couldn’t get enough of. 
    JaimieTken hale
    That kind of shocks me.  I assumed HBO would want this to be a tentpole show for them for a few years now that GOT is done. 

https://geektyrant.com/news/damon-lindelof-says-hbos-watchmen-is-a-self-contained-one-season-series

OpusWhoElisa
  • rhcoop said:
    That kind of shocks me.  I assumed HBO would want this to be a tentpole show for them for a few years now that GOT is done. 

https://geektyrant.com/news/damon-lindelof-says-hbos-watchmen-is-a-self-contained-one-season-series

This is why I have complete faith in what he is doing. The Leftovers each season was self contained. What if, for example, he was building a 3 year story leading to some major Dr. Manhattan thing and it tanked in the first year?  Right now this thing could go either way. 
    rhcoopElisa
  • That shocked me too. Thinking about it though, it could just be how Lindelof operates now. LOST would have satisfied more people if they hadn't left the central mystery open for 6 seasons. Seems like he's playing it safe with the self-contained seasons, and who could blame him?
    rhcoopOpusWhoElisa
  • JaimieT said:
    OpusWho said:
    After reading as much of everything as I can I am expecting this is be a world that is ONLY a direct sequel to the OG graphic novel. The movie comes in as it is very faithful to the original book visually  and  story (though lacking spirit imo) except for 2 BIG SPOTS/EVENTS AT THE END. So in a way if you dont have time to catch up by reading the movie will suffice. The biggest difference I wont mention-looks to be referenced in the show, from the previews, more than once.

I assumed as much because the book ends in a potential scandal whereas the movie does not. While they both concern a lie, at least in the movie the lie had the potential to be true under certain circumstances. In the book, the lie was entirely fabricated as no such entity is known to exist. 
    The movie ending also completely defeated the purpose of the villain's plan because it was no longer an external source of danger and so would never achieve his goal. Ugh. The fact that the movie fumbled this in such a painfully obvious way was so disappointing. 
    JaimieTDoctor_Nick