General Baldies discussion

edited February 1 in General
If there is already a general discussion out there by all means delete this but I can't find it.  

I've only listened to the ceremony and a couple of the deliberations so far.  I have to agree almost unanimously with the winners they have chosen.  Obviously a couple that are podcast based that are debatable but The Leftovers sweep was very deserving.  I jumped on the Leftovers bandwagon ONLY because of their constant references to it in other shows podcasts.  I will forever thank them for that and The Leftovers has easily made it as my top TV show ever.  

On to their biggest surprise with Mr. Robot Season 3.... I wonder how their opinions would change of season 2 if they hadn't been ruined of the prison reveal right away.  I would be curious to hear what others that didn't have that reveal spoiled for them thought of season 2.  I didn't think season 2 was amazing but that prison reveal blew me out of the water.  Maybe I'm naive and didn't look for answers as much as I should have but that's how I watch TV.
Elisa

Comments

• I have one question, how did "Get Out" not even get a mention? I think it should have been on their Biggest Miss list for sure. It is definitely in my top 5 2017 movies.
    gguenotJaimieTMurderbearElisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Ouch, yeah, zook388.  I saw it, Jim didn't it, but that should have been on the list for sure. Great flick, would have been an interesting if uncomfortable podcast for us, it's a bummer we didn't do it.  Biggest miss of 2018 already is missing Get Out on the biggest miss of 2017.

Maybe something we can get to for this year's Halloween Spooktacular and have Jim sit in on it.
    letrbuck2006Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Second biggest miss of 2018... a letter opener. 
    Michelleletrbuck2006ReniMurderbearTom_ATravisKingKobracdrivedarwinfeeshyBrandonTheBardand 1 other.
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    How have you guys completely neglected The Crown for 2 years? Watch it, dammit lol. Season 1 is a pure masterpiece, i can't recommend it enough. I found season 2 to be a slight decrease in my enjoyment, but I seem to be in the minority there. Just watch it, it will appear your intrigue in history and politics - and all the performances are out of this world. 

Also, Varga is that much better than Malvo? I think they're at best even, and you're affected by recency bias because Lorne was so spectacular of a villain.
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Tom_A said:
    How have you guys completely neglected The Crown for 2 years? Watch it, dammit lol. Season 1 is a pure masterpiece, i can't recommend it enough. I found season 2 to be a slight decrease in my enjoyment, but I seem to be in the minority there. Just watch it, it will appear your intrigue in history and politics - and all the performances are out of this world. 

Also, Varga is that much better than Malvo? I think they're at best even, and you're affected by recency bias because Lorne was so spectacular of a villain.

I think writing-wise Malvo is stronger. But David Thewlis is so good, I think he elevated what was there. 
  • The Best Female Actor Award should be renamed The Carrie Coon Award. 
    MurderbearElisaMichelleMFGFlukes
  • Dammit-you guys keep hitting on major aspects of shit I love.-While a full "why I love bald move" email is in the works I wanted to add that while listening to the deliberations for "best debut or pilot..." You mentioned one of my favorite books...The Long Walk from the Bachman Books by Stephen King. It seems as though the film rights were purchased some time ago by one Frank Darabont. I cant even imagine a better pairing. A Stephen King Novella with FD directing. Hopefully AMC hasn't completely drained his creative spirit. 
  • Tom_A said:

The same way they’ve “neglected” the other 475848 different shows people watch ;) there just simply isn’t enough time to cover everything....
    ReniMichelleCory
  • KingKobra said:
    Tom_A said:

The same way they’ve “neglected” the other 475848 different shows people watch ;) there just simply isn’t enough time to cover everything....
    As Jim said on a recent lunch, "welcome to the 80%"
    MichelleKingKobracdrive
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    It's crazy how close we were to having 2017's biggest surprise be 2007's American Gangster. Ha! Also, I guess I need to finally watch The Leftovers! You guys have been gushing about it for so long and I've always wanted to start it but just never have yet. It's time to make it happen!
    MichelleTravisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • It's crazy how close we were to having 2017's biggest surprise be 2007's American Gangster. Ha! Also, I guess I need to finally watch The Leftovers! You guys have been gushing about it for so long and I've always wanted to start it but just never have yet. It's time to make it happen!
    I made it a point to only watch a couple episodes at a time so that I could listen to their podcast covering The Leftovers.  There are so many things that I would have never picked up on had it not been for their take on the episode because they have the resources and time to deep dive into different things.  Like they had mentioned though, this show is definitely not for everyone, but if you do enjoy the mystery and confusion of it, it is amazing.
    MurderbearMichelleCory
  • When they finally get around to watching Three Billboards, they’re going to facepalm so hard that they didn’t even mention it in their misses
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Who the fuck is Denzel Worshington?
    TxSandManMofojones333ElisaTravisNoelgguenot
  • Listening to the Best Commisioned deliberations and Jim makes it seem like video versions of the deliberations are being released, but I can't find them. Anyone have a solution or did I mishear Jim and we're just getting the podcast versions of the deliberations? (and yes I am in the club so I have premium access)
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Their commentary about the Punisher makes me wanna do a Punisher binge watch this weekend.  We did the 1st episode and thought it was entertaining but then had other shows to plow through.  
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    JaimieT said:
    Second biggest miss of 2018... a letter opener. 
    Is that the sequel to 2016's... a can opener?
  • Listening to the Best Commisioned deliberations and Jim makes it seem like video versions of the deliberations are being released, but I can't find them. Anyone have a solution or did I mishear Jim and we're just getting the podcast versions of the deliberations? (and yes I am in the club so I have premium access)
    I don't remember where I read it or heard it but I believe they thought about doing video of the deliberations but decided against it.  I don't remember if it was in the forums somewhere that I read it or in one of the deliberations podcasts.  Part of the reason was the sheer size of 8ish hours of video being uploaded.
    hobeybender
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    You guys need to start covering The Expanse when season 3 rolls along this year.  Rumor has it summertime.  Please.... :# o:)
  • Elisa said:
    You guys need to start covering The Expanse when season 3 rolls along this year.  Rumor has it summertime.  Please.... :# o:)
    I think they confirmed this.
    Reni
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Whuuuuuuut? Oh Ok just on baldies return to form B) poddie. Yessssss! 
  • edited February 2
    So listening to the deliberations about best drama, near the end when A Ron is talking about taking his kid to the movie theater for CoCo and the police officer had the Punisher tattoo.  I don't doubt 100% that it was the Punisher emblem as something like that on someone in that line of work you can make a correlation to BUT there is also a Corvette Racing emblem that looks extremely similar.  I only know this because one of my good friends is obsessed with Corvettes.  Again I'm not doubting that it was the Punisher emblem just stating that there's a very small likelihood that it is not.

• Just heard the meta episode, and wanted to a shout out a Netflix film that would really fit the “Netflix Made for Streaming” conversation and that is “Mudbound”. It’s actually nominated for a few Oscars and it made several top ten lists. Sure Netflix didn’t produce it, but they bought it at Sundance and distributed primarily through their service. I think they only did a few theatrical screenings in order for it to qualify for Oscar.
    Elisa
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Were there YouTube videos done of the deliberations this year? Have they been moved to Club-only? It's kinda hard to follow you guys moving stuff up and down the rankings when I can't see the document you're doing it on.
  • The 2017 Baldies. Also known as “The Leftovers victory lap.” 
    ElisaDummySchlupp
  • cdrive said:
    Their commentary about the Punisher makes me wanna do a Punisher binge watch this weekend.  We did the 1st episode and thought it was entertaining but then had other shows to plow through.  
    I'm 9 in and it's by far the best Marvel show so far.  Though I want Karen Page out of it ASAP.
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    The 2017 Baldies. Also known as “The Leftovers victory lap.” 
    Actually, there was much less Leftovers dick-sucking than I expected.

The egregious one was A.Ron gaslighting Jim into believing that the "Most to Lose" category was about A.Ron's personal investment in the show, and not, as Jim pointed out multiple times -- the actual viewership being in the thousands, and that the season's success or failure had nothing to lose.

But Jim caved and A.Ron conquered him, so there we have it!  
  • edited February 5
    As Holy Wayne said, let me take it from you.  
    He is a baldie after all.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited February 5
    Ajas said:
    Actually, there was much less Leftovers dick-sucking than I expected.

The egregious one was A.Ron gaslighting Jim into believing that the "Most to Lose" category was about A.Ron's personal investment in the show, and not, as Jim pointed out multiple times -- the actual viewership being in the thousands, and that the season's success or failure had nothing to lose.

But Jim caved and A.Ron conquered him, so there we have it!  
    You don't think Lindeloff's reputation would have suffered if the final season of The Leftovers was widely panned?  I don't think HBO would have flipped him the keys to The Watchmen, for starters.  
    Travis
  • edited February 5
    I think in the dialog between Kevin and Jill in season two after his fight with Nora could have well been a meta commentary regarding Lindeloffs legacy.

"Don't fuck this up dad."
    "You think I am fucking this up?"
    "No, not yet, but you are showing potential."
    letrbuck2006ElisaFlukes
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 5
    Regarding the "biggest risk" category: I do think it's kind of a tricky and very subjective category. I mean, there is a lot of risk in making and putting out anything, right? When you are running a story that is fueled largely by deeper and more intriguing topics that degree of difficulty raises significantly because you're not making something built on a strong formula. I think The Leftovers in general was a risky endeavor because it was so heavy and was surrounded by mystery that would never be addressed, no matter how loud the clamoring got. This, particularly with Lindelof's Lost baggage. It could be said that they could have cut bait after season 2 and left it on a historically amazing season of television.It's a tightrope wire of a concept and they had already crushed it and had every right to walk away leaving everyone far more than content, minds blown really. That said though, I don't know if I would have picked the Leftovers because they were expected to come back and with the talent and infrastructure behind it, I just don't see them falling flat on their face. It certainly didn't have to be as good as it was, but I never even entertained the idea that it would be bad. Actually, having thought a tiny bit about it, they didn't have nearly as much to lose as...

Game of Thrones who officially moved beyond Martin's writings. I mean, that sized audience and that much pressure. I kind of think you have to go with the Double Ds here. I have to go back and listen to the podcast again as I can't really remember the discussion on it, just that The Leftovers won (the perils of absorbing too much content too fast is the retention), but that's my pick, 100%. I do see the train of thought that ends at the Leftovers though.