Beauty thread? Yes? No? Just me?

DeeDee Adelaide
Is anyone else mildly obsessed with skincare and makeup as I am? If so, let’s talk! Tell me your loves, your hates, your latest hauls, what you covet, your tips, whatever you like. I’m at work and it’s Friday and I don’t want to start anything new so I have, like, four hours to look busy without actually doing anything. 
MichelleakritenbrinkPhoebes89

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Like any red blooded male I just steal my wife’s face wash. And shampoo. (and conditioner) 
    DeeakritenbrinkFrakkin TFlukesMichelleFreddy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    cdrive said:
    Like any red blooded male I just steal my wife’s face wash. And shampoo. (and conditioner) 
    When I had a male around the house many moons ago I know he was always poking around in my shower gels and face scrubs and whatnot that were in the shower, even though he vehemently denied it. Sure, your face is bright red and you smell like gardenia, but I believe you. 
    cdriveakritenbrinkFrakkin TPhoebes89FlukesMichelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    We act all hard and too cool about it and then we mooch off all your stuff! Haha. 
    DeeFrakkin TMichelle
  • edited February 2
    Dee said:
    cdrive said:
    When I had a male around the house many moons ago I know he was always poking around in my shower gels and face scrubs and whatnot that were in the shower, even though he vehemently denied it. Sure, your face is bright red and you smell like gardenia, but I believe you. 
    I can explain this. It's not what it looks (or smells like), think of it more like an accident or a combination of unfortunate happenstances in a cramped and slippy  place with temporal bad lightning on a class m planet with some serious gravity where some face scrubs and whatnot might have been involved in acts of keeping some sort of general balance.

akritenbrinkDeeRenicdriveFlukesMichelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I'm down. I am obsessed with skincare. You can't really go backward with skin damage so I always wear a moisturizer with SPF. I've tried a ton of products but my favorite for my skin type/budget is Paula's Choice balancing line.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm down. I am obsessed with skincare. You can't really go backward with skin damage so I always wear a moisturizer with SPF. I've tried a ton of products but my favorite for my skin type/budget is Paula's Choice balancing line.
    I love the PC Resist Line - I tend to swap between that and Clarins, because I know the PC stuff is actually effective, but it’s boring, and I know the Clarins probably does sweet FA, but it’s pretty and French and makes me feel fancy. 

Have you tried anything from The Ordinary? I bought a bunch of things recently after binge-watching YouTube reviews, but I’m a little afraid to try them. 
    I don't think so.
    Paula's Choice is based in Seattle and we like boring lol. 
    Dee
  • I never really thought twice about skincare until I developed eczema a few years ago and really struggled with finding the products that work for me. That's when I was converted to natural products instead of the big trendy commercial brands. For a long time I was devoted to using products in their simplest form eg. I was just using pure shea butter or coconut oil or aloe gel. I still love all these things but have since educated myself on a lot of stuff and what to avoid and what everything in an INCI list really means. So I have broadened my horizons and I am completely obsessed with this stuff and trying new things. I rarely have bought the same product twice lol. I especially can't resist face masks and hand creams for some reason. What I'm really gravitating towards lately are natural luxury brands ever since I got a sample of a Luzern moisturizer with an order and my god, it has changed my life. I was so stoked and then found out a 60ml pot is like $175. So this whole luxury brand thing will be an occasional treat (if that), lmao.
    Makeup is not really my thing because I rarely wear any, but have gone through a Wayne Goss obsession phase. He's just such a warm personality and an absolute lifechanger for what little makeup I wear.
    Dee
  • Another Paula's Choice groupie here. I do a rotation of "natural" products (Rosehip oil, rose water toner, homemade body butters, etc), PC products, a couple other random products, and sheetmasks. Realizing now that even as a beauty minimalist, it's still a lot of products lol. 

Luckily, I've always had blemish free skin, so my obsession is anti-aging. 
    akritenbrinkDee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited February 2
    Love Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid.

Tried The Ordinary's azelaic acid... I ended up going with another brand from Pure Formula, which hits the concentration you want anyway. You want at least 15%, and The Ordinary just does 10%. Also much better consistency and a slightly better price point. I haven't been too impressed with any of their offerings, honestly, even though I've only tested one. 

Morning routine:

1. Wash face with water
    2. DIY vitamin C serum (this took 2 years of practice to perfect, and it's a dupe of Skinceutical's $165 one)
    3. Stratia's liquid gold, which is niacinamide and other anti-aging stuff. I used to DIY this, but I'm too lazy lately, and it's not that much of a money save.
    4. Cerave moisturizing lotion
    5. Sunscreen (Biore Watery Essence or Biore Watery Gel) (Biore UV perfect milk, if I'm outside with sweat potential, like Disney World) (I rarely go outside)
    6. Make up

Evening routine:

1. Eye makeup remover (Micellar water or some kind of oil)
    2. Cerave foaming facial cleanser
    3. OTC Differin
    4. Stratia's liquid gold
    5. Cerave moisturizing lotion
    6. 20% azelaic acid cream

If my skin is dry, I'll coat it in Vaseline before sleep. Sometimes I'll mix my moisturizer with 100% glycerin. Every so often I do a My Beauty Diary facial mask (Imperial Bird's Nest), and a 15% salicylic acid peel from MUAC

Can you tell I have issues with acne?  ;)
    Dee
  • Obsessed makeup junkie here. Trying many different skincare products and not really loyal to any one company. Right now trying the whole castor oil thing for hair growth and strengthening because my postpartum hair shedding has really been more apparent. The hair breakage is awful. Now I have little short hairs sticking straight up from my head (which looks weird because I have really long hair). I am starting to resemble a dandelion more and more.  But, yeah, you are not alone. Anyone have advice for products to use on under eye lines? 
    DeeMichelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited February 2
    Zandra said:
    Obsessed makeup junkie here. Trying many different skincare products and not really loyal to any one company. Right now trying the whole castor oil thing for hair growth and strengthening because my postpartum hair shedding has really been more apparent. The hair breakage is awful. Now I have little short hairs sticking straight up from my head (which looks weird because I have really long hair). I am starting to resemble a dandelion more and more.  But, yeah, you are not alone. Anyone have advice for products to use on under eye lines? 

I have naturally dark, sunken under-eyes. You should see pictures of me as a kid. For wrinkles though, keep it well moisturized... and know that eye-specific moisturizers are a scam. Often at night I will apply Vaseline on my under-eyes (over my moisturizer, to seal it in). Vitamin C serum is also very good for your skin. I HAVE to stay on top of wrinkles and dryness in that area, since I can't have my corrective makeup look caked there (gross). 

The #1 prevention for wrinkles is sunscreen, though, and make sure you're getting enough coverage. Or wear sunglasses often.  B)
    I rarely wear makeup. I'm just not a morning person so getting my butt out of bed, showered and into the office is enough lol. But I do like Benefit products and used their undereye concealer-brightener for a while (forget what it's called). I've also heard that Kat Von D makeup is great for covering up a multitude of sins. This might be old information!
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I am a no nonsense type of gal, but I do use the three step clinique line - wash, toner and mosturizer and alternate the mosturizer with clinique's face cream with SPF 45.  People normally comment that I have good skin, so I guess I am doing something right.

I don't wear that much makeup mostly eyeliner and lipstick but with age I need to find a good concealer and foundation for dress up days.  Any suggestions?  
    Dee
    Elisa said:
    I am a no nonsense type of gal, but I do use the three step clinique line - wash, toner and mosturizer and alternate the mosturizer with clinique's face cream with SPF 45.  People normally comment that I have good skin, so I guess I am doing something right.

I don't wear that much makeup mostly eyeliner and lipstick but with age I need to find a good concealer and foundation for dress up days.  Any suggestions?  
    I don't have a specific product recommendation, but as you age it looks better if you use a matte foundation, IMO. The sparklier ones tend to settle into wrinkles and enhance them and/or make you look like a Real Housewife (but if that's the look you're going for, go for it! ha). I also think for myself I like makeup looks that are lighter in color- Lighter eyeshadow, I don't do eyeliner or mascara on the bottom lashes because it can run and then enhance dark circles etc. You can also kind of brighten up your eyes by using a white or light colored eyeliner on the inner corners or under the eye.
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Reni Wayne Goss blocked me years ago when he went on this rant about how BB creams were all a scam (while holding up some mainstream Western brand version) and I commented saying that there was a huge difference between Korean BB creams and the Western version, which is basically a tinted moisturiser. He does not like to be corrected, however civilly it’s done! I also dislike his click bait tactics - IS THIS THE GREATEST FOUNDATION OF ALL TIME? kind of thing, and his over-tagging to get on to search lists (tagging a foundation video #lipstick #blush #eyeliner etc). 

Having said that, he knows what he’s doing, especially with mature women, and he is good at giving proper, useful tutorials. 
    Reni
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Another Paula's Choice groupie here. I do a rotation of "natural" products (Rosehip oil, rose water toner, homemade body butters, etc), PC products, a couple other random products, and sheetmasks. Realizing now that even as a beauty minimalist, it's still a lot of products lol. 

Luckily, I've always had blemish free skin, so my obsession is anti-aging. 
    I try to use rosehip oil at least one night a week instead of my usual palaver. My skin tends to get dry and flaky thanks to perimenopause, and it really helps to put a bit of life back into it. 

I can’t do sheet masks though - they give me the creeps! 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited February 2
    @JaimieT Ooh, I haven’t heard of Pure Formula. Uh oh. 

I love the the idea of Vitamin C serums but they’re so volatile and I’m far too lazy to make my own. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide

Zandra said:
    Obsessed makeup junkie here. Trying many different skincare products and not really loyal to any one company. Right now trying the whole castor oil thing for hair growth and strengthening because my postpartum hair shedding has really been more apparent. The hair breakage is awful. Now I have little short hairs sticking straight up from my head (which looks weird because I have really long hair). I am starting to resemble a dandelion more and more.  But, yeah, you are not alone. Anyone have advice for products to use on under eye lines? 
    I really liked the Benefit eye cream in the little pot that came out around the same time as They’re Real mascara, but I haven’t repurchased it as I have so many other eye creams and gels to use first, and a lot of the time I just end up putting a tiny dot of rosehip or some other facial oil under my eye instead. It seems to work better for me under concealer. 

I want to try castor oil for brows as mine are very sparse from being over plucked in the 90s, but I’m having trouble finding cold pressed (supposedly the one that works best) locally so I am going to have to get it online at some point. 

Tell me your favourite makeup products! 
  • DeeDee Adelaide

I rarely wear makeup. I'm just not a morning person so getting my butt out of bed, showered and into the office is enough lol. But I do like Benefit products and used their undereye concealer-brightener for a while (forget what it's called). I've also heard that Kat Von D makeup is great for covering up a multitude of sins. This might be old information!
    I love makeup - I’ve been carting around piles of it since I was 13 or 14 and nicking my aunt’s little Avon lipstick samples. I don’t wear it much in summer though, as I hate that sticky feeling when it starts to sweat off. I’m hanging out for Autumn and cooler weather so I can start messing about with it again. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited February 2

Elisa said:

Foundation depends a lot on your skin type and coverage preference. I like light to medium coverage for everyday and medium for a special occasion - I hate “feeling” foundation on my face. For general day to day I usually wear a BB/CC cream or tinted moisturiser - either L’Oreal Nude Magique CC cream or Urban Decay Naked One and Done. If I’m snazzing up a bit more than usual, I like Maybelline Instant Age Rewind foundation. It must be a pretty uncool one though, as I never hear anyone talk about it, lol. 
    Elisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 2
    In case this makes anyone as happy as it did my wife today, there is a really good Today's Special Value on QVC today featuring Josie Maran skin care products. Apparently it's really good stuff and a really good value. Just tossin that out there.
    DeeakritenbrinkElisaMichelle
    Elisa said:

I don't have a specific product recommendation, but as you age it looks better if you use a matte foundation, IMO. The sparklier ones tend to settle into wrinkles and enhance them and/or make you look like a Real Housewife (but if that's the look you're going for, go for it! ha). I also think for myself I like makeup looks that are lighter in color- Lighter eyeshadow, I don't do eyeliner or mascara on the bottom lashes because it can run and then enhance dark circles etc. You can also kind of brighten up your eyes by using a white or light colored eyeliner on the inner corners or under the eye.
    @Elisa I realized I made an assumption here that you have lighter skin like I do- but then realized later I am not sure I know what you look like. If you have darker skin, sorry for that assumption. 
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    My skin is light, but I do have a little bit of melanin as I am latina, so I am to prone to occasional bags under the eyes and one or two dark spots.  I normally don't have to wear makeup but I do like to put it on maybe once a week and for the occasional dress up.
    akritenbrink
    Ok I think my advice still holds for a lighter skinned Latina who's avoiding dark circles.

Sometimes I've had darker skinned friends who went to makeup artists who basically did a look that lightened their apparent skin tone several shades and it creates a weird feeling like... Why are you trying to make me white... So I didn't want to imply that.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Every time I’ve been “colour matched” they’ve tried to make me orange. 
    akritenbrinkFlukesbazjensterElisaMichelle
    My color match is a piece of printer paper lol
    DeebazjensterElisaMichelle
  • @Dee Oh yeah, I never liked the clickbait stuff either. But he knows what he's talking about and helped me a bunch, especially because I have hooded eyes - and I only found out hooded eyes were a thing in my mid 20's or so lol, until then I just thought I was a weirdo who could never get eye makeup look right, no doubt this contributed most to why I'm not really into makeup. But with the right knowlege and technique I can now achieve okay-ish looks, but really I'm just kind of heartbroken that I'll never be able to have like an awesome smoky eye or cat eye :(

And speaking of blocking, I was blocked on twitter by an actor who I never followed, tweeted to or about, lol. I may have gone on a general rant about a show he was in, but never about him specifically. It's a bit creepy really, but talk about butthurt/sensitive ego?
    Dee
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have an Ipsy subscription which I really enjoy. It allows me to try so many brands I wouldn't have heard of at a fairly cheap price. I found my daily moisturizer from an ipsy bag that I LOVE. Eco fresh Be Good Good Day. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Reni Oooh, who was it?