The Exorcist Commission

Thanks so much to whoever commisioned this, looking forward to hearing their thoughts!

I was wondering if Jim and A-Ron would be reviewing the theatrical or director’s cut? I want to rewatch before the podcast is released, and wanted to watch whichever version they are reviewing. I know this is a few podcasts away, but if the commissioner happens to see this thread, please let us know which version to watch for the review.

thanks for choosing this, and looking forward to it!
KingKobraGredalBeeTaraC73

Comments

• Oh shoot, they are rolling out some classics. Agreed, thanks whomever did this one!!
    TaraC73
  • I’m guessing it’s theatrical cut, because they put it on the schedule and the year is 1973.
  • It's the theatrical cut, though I know I've seen the director's cut.
    KingKobra
  • Awesome! Thanks for confirming @Jim looking forward to it!
  • mjmulladymjmullady Indiana
    oh I can't wait!
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    this should be fun. has @A_Ron_Hubbard seen this already as well?
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    edited March 2

When I was watching the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings and Anita Hill said that Clarence Thomas had joked about there being a "pubic hair on [his] Coke," I immediately recognized the line from The Exorcist, both novel and film.

The line is uttered by Burt Dennings: "There seems to be an alien pubic hair in my gin. I've never seen it before in my life. Have you?" It's easy to miss that line in the film as Burt is quite drunk and attending a loud party.

At the next hearing, sure enough, one of Thomas' defenders pointed out the source on this quote. The suggestion being, of course, that Anita Hill was attributing a movie line to Clarence Thomas. My own thought was that Thomas probably ran across that line in the book or movie and made a reference joke that Anita didn't place. Because why, if you're going to lie about something like that, wouldn't you make up a completely original line and not steal one from an easily traceable source?

The writer of The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty, was known for outlandish humor, especially dialogue and physical comedy, combined with an orthodox Catholic worldview.

Though I'm not a believer myself, I've always enjoyed the film he produced and directed with his Exorcist money: The Ninth Configuration.

It stars a young Scott Wilson, who Bald Movers will recognize as Herschel from The Walking Dead, as an astronaut who has a crisis of faith and refuses to go to the moon. Evidently the astronaut training program got a little lax in screening out neurotic Morgalizers as the 70s progressed. Stacy Keach costars as a psychiatrist assigned to help the astronaut, as well as several middle-aged men who were apparently faking mental illness to avoid being sent to Vietnam. Evidently the draft board ran out of people in their 20s to send.

Here's the scene where two meet:

Blatty adapted this movie from a novel he wrote prior to The Exorcist, but as he adapted the screenplay he decided that the Scott Wilson character is the same astronaut that Regan prophesies will die in the rug peeing scene. Shame. That rug really tied the room together.
    Chinaski
  • @Chinaski I think @A_Ron_Hubbard has, think I remember him mentioning it during the Shining commission.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    While we're waiting for this, I was reminded of RLM's review of The Exorcist 2. It starts at 41:00, goes to 59:00. The part about the octagons... 

• Just got finished watching this, and realized I have only seen the director’s cut. I really enjoyed this version better.
  • Nothing makes me happier than renting this on amazon instant for $3, only to realize 24 hours later it was on HBO go the whole time!
    ken hale
  • sean.ray said:
    Nothing makes me happier than renting this on amazon instant for $3, only to realize 24 hours later it was on HBO go the whole time!
    I think we should punish you for not owning this classic ;) :D
    Chinaski
  • I own the directors cut, but the disc is at my parents house.
  • Thank you for commissioning this movie, as a toe in toe out Catholic this movie still terrifies me.In a strange way, I seek out exorcism movies, in a strange obsession manner. The Exorcist stands head and shoulders above the rest I have encountered. I am happy that you two acknowledged; that no only was this a great scary movie, but a work of art. 
    Chinaski
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited March 5
    They mentioned sequels at one point. I had seen the third part back in the nineties and other than one scary as shit scene, I didn’t like it. But I have seen a few videos on YouTube that make me wanna go back and rewatch it. I also think some questions might be answered, that they were asking in the podcast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exorcist_III
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I will second the recommendation the commissioner gave for the Inside the Exorcist podcast. Its a quick listen but goes into quite a bit of detail. Some of the parts are a little too dramatic, but its thoroughly entertaining, and a couple moments are super frightening. 
  • edited March 6
    I want a movie about a Jehovah’s Witness who just can’t resist an awesome polo shirt at a garage sale.
    JoshuaHeter
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited March 7
    ojr said:
    Thank you for commissioning this movie, as a toe in toe out Catholic this movie still terrifies me.In a strange way, I seek out exorcism movies, in a strange obsession manner. The Exorcist stands head and shoulders above the rest I have encountered. I am happy that you two acknowledged; that no only was this a great scary movie, but a work of art. 
    I’m a Catholic, and I like this movie, it’s one of the few movies commercially popular that I feel depicts the Church in a positive light. I haven’t seen other exorcism movies but this one is both a good film and one that unambiguously depicts the priests as the good guys.
    ojr said:
    Thank you for commissioning this movie, as a toe in toe out Catholic this movie still terrifies me.In a strange way, I seek out exorcism movies, in a strange obsession manner. The Exorcist stands head and shoulders above the rest I have encountered. I am happy that you two acknowledged; that no only was this a great scary movie, but a work of art. 
    I’m a Catholic, and I like this movie, it’s one of the few movies commercially popular that I feel depicts the Church in a positive light. I haven’t seen other exorcism movies but this one is both a good film and one that unambiguously depicts the priests as the good guys.

Did you like Silence? 
    JoshuaHeter
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    JaimieT said:
    ojr said:

Did you like Silence? 
    Never saw it 
    JaimieT said:
    ojr said:

Did you like Silence? 
    Never saw it 

Similar crisis of faith situation, and priests as good guys. 
    seanray
  • Silence is my favorite Scorsese movie, and I’m a huge fan of Scorsese.
    JaimieT
  • unreadunread Australia
    Does anyone else watch The Exorcist tv show? It's surprisingly good and has a great cast, including Geena Davis playing a mother with a possessed daughter in the first season, and the very handsome John Cho as a traumatised dad in the second season. I really recommend it, it's one of my favourite shows at the moment.
    unread said:
    Does anyone else watch The Exorcist tv show? It's surprisingly good and has a great cast, including Geena Davis playing a mother with a possessed daughter in the first season, and the very handsome John Cho as a traumatised dad in the second season. I really recommend it, it's one of my favourite shows at the moment.
    So the second season is good also? I've heard the first season was awesome and am going to start it very soon. I was hoping the second continued that trend.
  • unread said:
    Yes, we have a thread on it here somewhere ;) 

unread said:
    So the second season is good also? I've heard the first season was awesome and am going to start it very soon. I was hoping the second continued that trend.
    Yes, I might say better than the 1st as well. 
  • In the podcast, the guys were a little thrown by why the demon-girl didn't know Karras' mother's maiden name.  I'm sort of speculating that this was a trick question and that his mother was actually unmarried? This could explain why the girl doesn't answer him.  This is pretty immaterial, but does seem kind of like a strange plothole, along with the demon's reaction to tap water.
    Also, I was curious, Jim kept mentioning a remake of The Exorcist. I wasn't aware there was one. But then again I haven't really delved into any sequels or anything. 
  • @Garthgou81 It's pretty recent.  I can't remember the context that I mention it in but I might have been confusing the remake with Exorcist: The Beginning, which I remember seeing and not liking much.
  • Jim said:
    @Garthgou81 It's pretty recent.  I can't remember the context that I mention it in but I might have been confusing the remake with Exorcist: The Beginning, which I remember seeing and not liking much.
    You aren’t referring To the TV show by chance are you? That’s currently going on Fox (two seasons this far) and isnt that bad (I actually like it). 
  • seanrayseanray Texas
    edited March 13
    @Jim how was/is your trip? Didn’t I hear a.ron saying on Annihilation podcast you were visiting Italy?