Altered Carbon

I'm excited about this but also keeping expectations at a medium level.  Netflix has had some 'good but not great' content of late.  Anyone else looking forward to it?
Elisa

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I’m ready to dive in today  :)
    mjmullady
  • I'm watching it. If I can say one thing, the production values are insane! 

There's also a lot of exposition but I'm more fine with it than most seem to be. 
    Elisamjmullady
  • Yes; just waiting for an end to my work day to begin the binge. Meant to read the book — purchased the paperback over two weeks ago — but haven't.
    Elisa
  • I'm getting the pilot out of the way as pilots can be weird then I'll get back within a week or so 
    Elisabazjenster
  • Also very surrised there is no coverage, the guys have been odd with their Netflix coverage lately 
    Elisa
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I like "good but not great" content. it makes for good crochet watching. haha
    Dani
  • I think the guys said they’re planning on covering it 
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Yes during the Groundhog Day marathon they confirmed they are covering it, but without giving out any more details.
  • Looking forward to the coverage, guys. New to the club, but long time listener. I finally got off my ass and joined in hopes that you'd have a premium cast about Altered Carbon. I'm glad to read the rumor that you'll be doing one! Love your work. I'm half way through ep2 as we speak - back to it!
    Reni
  • Starting this now, excited for it!  :) 
  • Watched the first episode last night... wasn’t blown away, but definitely intrigued.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited February 3
    Recently watched the first two episodes and didn’t really grab me. I don’t know if it’s the dialogue or the acting. Hmmm I really wanted some good sci fi and to like it. Bummed
    Schlupp
  • edited February 4
    Elisa said:
    Recently watched the first two episodes and didn’t really grab me. I don’t know if it’s the dialogue or the acting. Hmmm I really wanted some good sci fi and to like it. Bummed
    Give it a few more episodes. It doesn’t “pick up” until 4/5. I wasn’t 100% sure after one, but the more I watch, the more I like. Of course JK will always be Holder to me. 

I do have to say that this show is pure eye candy. Watching in 4K DolbyVision it may be one of the best shows I have seen. 

Edit: it may be good for someone to start a spoilers thread (maybe 3 epside chunks?) that way it will be easier to discuss freely. 
    Elisa
  • one episode in, I am definitely going to continue..
  • I burned through Altered Carbon this weekend. Some thoughts:
    • Lead actors were weak. Joel Kinnaman - This guy is exactly the same in this show as he was on House of Cards and last couple roles. Same notes, expressions, the works. I liked this character most, when it wasn't played Kinnaman. Marta Higareda as Ortega simply didn't have the range this show was asking of her. Purefoy was acceptable as the uber-rich asshole. Dichen Lachman, who I don't normally like, gave one of the better performances. Secondary cast gave the most interesting performances.
    • There was a lot fat that could have been trimmed out of this season. Too many head fakes made the crime investigation a bit tedious. Most critics are right: The back half of this season was far more interesting than the first half.
    • The sci-fi world building is incredible, but it's like they tried to cram too many concepts into this story. Just the idea of sleeves is enough. But they added tons of secondary concepts, that served more as distractions, than interesting elements that contributed to the story. There could be some fantastic stories built in this universe. I hope they keep the show, but treat it more like an anthology.
    DoubleA_Ronphoenyx1023ElisaMofojones333SandyWest79ojrJTKIII
  • edited February 5
    Three episodes in, its's kind of okayish but not really interesting or compelling or well constructed in my opinion.
    They try way too hard to be meaningful and cool and futuristic and waver on the tone too much. I liked the gritty beginning, the shootout in the hotel lobby later was ridiciculous/comedical in comparison.
    Everything it does or tries to do so far has been done much better recently with Bladerunner 2049, I guess that's a problem for the series, too.
  • edited February 5
    No spoilers:

Just finished episode 7. It took awhile for all the plot threads to come together, but it's finally happened. I'm enjoying the show enough to finish it out (which is more than I can say for most Netflix originals), but I'm not ready to give it a thumbs up or down.

One thing that really sticks out to me is how much this show takes directly from the original Bladerunner. It's not like there's anything wrong with that, Bladerunner was really influential, but this show looks like it was shot on the same sets with a less talented DP.

The foggy/ rainy streets, the clear umbrellas everywhere, hell, even the police cars are almost a 1:1 comparison to the original Bladerunner.

Hope it ends well.
  • I was pretty underwhelmed by the first episode-- and I was really looking forward to it too!
  • gguenot said:
    I was pretty underwhelmed by the first episode-- and I was really looking forward to it too!
    All I can say is don’t judge based on 1st episode only. 
    gguenot
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Or the first 4, apparently?

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2018/02/netflixs-altered-carbon-asks-lot-pays-off/

I think Tom and Lorenzo's review seems to be capturing the consensus. I'll probably get around to it eventually because if James Purefoy is being smarmy? Well okay.
    Elisa
  • JaimieT said:

I think Tom and Lorenzo's review seems to be capturing the consensus. I'll probably get around to it eventually because if James Purefoy is being smarmy? Well okay.
    I’m tying to be careful what I say, because this thread is general and I don’t want to spoil things for people. I started 3 threads for spoilers where it will be easy to discuss. I will give advice that if by the end of the 5th it’s not for you, you may want to give up on it. This show had a slow start, but for me got going on the second half. It’s total eye candy in 4K DV so that may be helping me skew the vote. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    KingKobra said:
    JaimieT said:

I’m tying to be careful what I say, because this thread is general and I don’t want to spoil things for people. I started 3 threads for spoilers where it will be easy to discuss. I will give advice that if by the end of the 5th it’s not for you, you may want to give up on it. This show had a slow start, but for me got going on the second half. It’s total eye candy in 4K DV so that may be helping me skew the vote. 

Oh so it should be total eye candy in 1080p. 

... I'll go now. 
    KingKobra
  • Jim and A.Ron Reviewing a new tv show already? Thought they’d still be in a coma after Groundhog Day. That’s dedication boys!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited February 6
    Combine this show with Bright and Netflix is getting dangerously close to giving us that sweet sweet Shadowrun universe media we've all been wanting.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited February 6
    Yep, there's also Mute, a cyberpunk story set in Berlin.  Put Bright, Mute and Altered Carbon and you have Shadowrun and an official setting book.

It's amusing to me because I'm currently running a 2050 set Shadowrun game. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I'm on the 5th episode now. That pacing is getting difficult to deal with. I want to make it through, but I don't know if I can. Alto Essandoh is great though.
  • Freddy said:
    I'm on the 5th episode now. That pacing is getting difficult to deal with. I want to make it through, but I don't know if I can. Alto Essandoh is great though.
    Just stay focused. Breathe. Remember your training. Push through. Your*re a baldie and you have a job to do.

ElisaEine FrauSandyWest79akritenbrink
  • Schlupp said:
    Freddy said:
    Just stay focused. Breathe. Remember your training. Push through. Your*re a baldie and you have a job to do.

Might have been easier had he been sleeved in a body equipped with military-grade neurachem and combat muscle memory.

;) 
    SchluppSandyWest79
  • I started liking it a lot more when I stopped trying to judge it as prestigious, thoughtful science fiction and started to see it more as schlocky 90's cyberpunk. Kind of reminds me of the movie Strange Days.

And taking inspiration from Bladerunner is fine, but maybe they could have left out the terrible, completely superfluous voiceovers. 
    A_Ron_HubbardSandyWest79
  • I finished the first season and it was kind of meh for me. I didn't really care for any of the characters and it felt really forced and cheap at the end after a slightly better middle part. So just now meths are accountable for their actions regarding the normal people? After it was established that they own everything including the police and can needlecast virtually everywhere in the galaxy. Aren't there any  (AI)lawyers in this world ? Some characters are way overpowered if the plot needs them to, there are no real rules to the world, just technobabble, Mac Guffins and plot conveniences. What about the protectorate military/government? Are they governed by meths as well or AIs ? I think they didn't do enough world building, the whole envoy flashback plot was underwhelming for me, too. I was definitly looking in an old order sort of thing and not just some outcasts.
      I hope the envoy gets his original sleeve back, I liked that actor a lot more.