AMC's The Terror

MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
I heard it mentioned during the Ground hog marathon that this was due to air in the spring. The book is pretty great. Anyone know anything more about it? I saw it described as an anthology which makes me really curious.

Comments

• Where did you see it described as an anthology? Based on the trailer I saw it doesn't really hint toward even the possibility. Curious as to how that would work with a story like this.
    Michelle
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    I'm wondering the same thing
  • Yeah I wonder... maybe it's less Black Mirror and more American Horror Story, where every season is different, not every episode? That's the only thing I can think of.
    Michelle
    Yeah though the title is the same as the book, it is generic enough to be something else in the future. Can you get a better horror title than, "The Terror?"
    ReniMichelle
  • It could lead to anything, but my trust in AMC is, let's just say not at an all time high.
    I've not read the book but I might, plenty of time till the premiere and I'm always interested in the adaptation angle.
    Michelle
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    this type of story seems like it will require a budget... and a relatively big one, and since it's an AMC show I'm wary. But the cast is knock out, so I'll for sure give it a chance.
    DeeElisaMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm definitely into watching this.  I really like Jared Harris' work, so I'm looking forward to it.  Plus, it just looks like such a bleak and dismal epic story.  I wonder if it has the chance of Bald Move TV coverage?
    Elisa
    edited March 15
    AMC has a 'first look' video up. This show looks like it's going to be very, very, very good and a must-watch.

http://www.amc.com/shows/the-terror/video-extras/the-terror-a-look-at-the-series

I wasn't aware that this was based on real events.  The Wiki page is here (spoiler alert if you don't want to know how it ends up):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition

ElisaMoonMan13
  • Canadian history on American TV - nice :)

They recently-ish (2-3 years ago?) found The Terror.
    Michelle
    Yeah, there is a web page I found about that but I didn't want to spoil anyone, just in case.  But still, very cool.
    There's a special preview of the premiere episode on right now on AMC - for those who don't have Roku or aren't on eastern time, it's on right after The Walking Dead.  It's good so far!
    Elisa
  • All I know is that the book is my favorite book that I read that year and I really loved it
    MichelleElisaMoonMan13
    Last night’s preview of the pilot episode was very, very good.  Definitely looking forward to watching it again tonight along with episode 2 (it’s a 2-hr event).
    Elisa
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    I'm definitely watching this show.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    My kinda show.  I can't wait.
    Michelle
    edited March 27
    I can't believe I forgot. What time does it start? Anyone know if you'll be able to stream it later?
    Michelle
  • edited March 27
    Caesar/Mance Rayder, Lane Price, and Brutus/Brendan Tully in some Master and Commander meets Alien.

I’m in until AMC makes me regret it. 
    ElisaMichellesaraej319bror.00
    edited March 27
    MoonMan13 said:
    I can't believe I forgot. What time does it start? Anyone know if you'll be able to stream it later?
    9:00 - 11:00 pm.  Watching now.  Glad my Roku streams on Eastern time.  I can catch both episodes and still get to bed at a decent time.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I’m hooked!
    MichelleElisa
    edited March 27
    Okay, what is that big mound of stone that the crew found?  It looked like it was meant to be some sort of shrine or something, but the one guy tossed the journal page in the tube into it.   Why?  So that there was a record of them being there in case they didn't return to ship and someone found that mound/page?
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I think the cairn was either built by the British explorers as a location marker or the explorers found it and defiled it. 
    Michelle
    Thanks Elisa!  They didn't really explain much what it was or how it got there.
    I'm eager to hear @Jim's thoughts.  This show gives me shades of Lost, and I know he was fond of that show for a while.  We've got the guys stuck in a desolate place with physical threats all around, a mysterious beast/monster that is killing people, a man (the Inuit) with a mysterious tie to something called Tuunbaq (is that the beast?), the fight for survival with these men, etc.   I'm all in for this.  I heard yesterday that it was intended to be an anthology series, so it makes me wonder what next season's storyline will be, and if it will be based on true events as this season is.
    ElisaMoonMan13
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    This show looks great. Watching this after TWD is like night and day. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    The cairns were likely built by the previous British arctic expedition. Besides being used as grave markers cairns have traditionally been used as location markers in the exploration age. As for leaving notes that just seems to be a thing people do to mark that they’ve been to a particularly difficult to reach place, like planting a flag on the moon, maybe no one will find it but if they do they know someone had been there before. 
    ElisaMichellerhcoop
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Thanks for the clarification @Alkaid13

• Just watched it and I thought it was one of the best things I've seen on TV in a while. It made me think of Jim and Aron's take on Master and Commander which is one of my favorite movies, and I know they really liked it. Would love to hear their take on it. This seems to be M&C but only with supernatural horror. 

Great cast, great writing/acting, and although I'm no expert I thought the way they interposed scenes was really good. I'm really impressed so far, can't wait for next week. I'm totally unfamiliar that it is based on a book I think I will have to check that out.

Of course, can't fully trust AMC not to fuck it up considering TWD - but I think it's worth checking out.
    MichelleElisa
  • Wow, the first two eps were really good. So impressed by the writing, acting, production. The works. Tension for days...
    MichelleElisa
    Of course, can't fully trust AMC not to fuck it up considering TWD - but I think it's worth checking out.

Well, there *is* a huge difference between Scott Gimple and Ridley Scott...
    ElisaFlukes