Episode 309 - "Burned"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Don Kurt   
Writers: Dave Andron & Leonard Chang & Jenny DeArmitt

Comments

• Oh no Loretta just poked the bear real hard, while I love that speech and the people's reactions, Boyds rag tag crew can't protect her....
  • Woo ooooooo I was on the edge of my seat in that scene! Long live Boyd Crowder I hope he and Eva make it out of Harlan alive!
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited March 2015
    Ah, the student has become the teacher. Loretta is en route to becoming Mags. Might have to go back and rewatch 2x08, The Spoil, where Mags gives her speech on Black PIke to the locals. Bet there a lot of parallels.
    Travis
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Jonathan Tucker as Markham's gunslinging muscle is simply delightful.  I had a huge grin on my face when he was menacing Loretta in her house.

Ah, the student has become the teacher. Loretta is en route to becoming Mags. Might have to go back and rewatch 2x08, The Spoil, where Mags gives her speech to the community. Bet there a lot of parallels.

I had that vibe, too.  And Ava looked somewhat wistful when Loretta was bargaining with Boyd at his bar.  Think these two will end up teaming up?

Wynn miming the phone call was possibly my favorite moment of the episode, punctuated by Mikey's looks of disapproval and Tim's mocking, "Aw, it's like finding your dad cheating with the neighbor's wife."
    randypanda9711hypergenesbAmeliaTravisksa1001
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited March 2015
    And how meta was it for Markham to state that his only purpose is to serve as pretext for the inevitable showdown between Raylan and Boyd?  This show is just crushing it every week.
    Travis
  • I wanted Loretta to say ," we got our own music, our own food, our own weed, our own way of getting rid of dead bodies, WE ARE HARLAN! WE ARE HARLAN!!!!"
    ksa1001
  • Chompin at the bit to see Tim and Boon have sharpshooter throwdown
    Travis
  • Probably my favorite episode of the season, right behind 'The Hunt'. Also, that Wynn Duffy snitch reveal was very abrupt. And now that it's out in the open, he can't be long for the Justified world.
    And Loretta Freakin McCready, man. I just love that character. So glad they brought her back for the final one. She's like Mags 2.0! Haha, her and Boyd= One of the best duos on tv ever. Great acting+ dialogue.
    I think Justified is one of the only shows that can pull of introducing so many great new chatacetrs in the final season and not be a bad thing. This guy, Boon, coming in so late, is so damn creepy and despicable. But so good! I'm looking forward to seeing his inevitable death, because you just know that guys gonna die in spectacular fashion, by Raylan hopefully.
    And final note: can Ava just make a decision already? I mean, maybe I'm not getting it, but it seemed like she was firmly on Boyd's side last week and now she's helping Raylan again? I loved this storyline in the beginning, but now it's just kind of confusing me. Or is she playing both of them? Maybe someone can clear this up?
    Ok, real final note: Loretta McCready spinoff! Maybe I'm just too big a fan? I must be, because spinoffs suck.
    Original_JosephAmeliaTravis
  • I feel that bowl cut henchman is being set up to be a serious threat for Raylan, one that Raylan might  underestimate. That guy is aware of Raylan's reputation and seems very eager to face him. I'm a bit scared for Raylan; I hope they're not setting up a scenario in which the hero ends up being killed by a newcomer he underestimates.
    Travischrisk
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

That was a good one, for sure. Not much to add to what has been said, but I had a blast watching this one. I loved the speech/debate at the party and seeing Loretta throw her hat into the ring officially. I'm really psyched about our new gun slinging thug. The conversation with Markham and Raylan was great. Kudos all around. Great episode. I really, really want to say that I believe Wynn survives this, but I don't like how he's pushing Mikey. I'm not sure how it is going to play out, but it's pretty clear to me that Mikey is going to be his undoing. As I was watching it I kept thinking "I know this is who Wynn is, but he may want to be a little less glib about asking Mikey to more or less sell his criminal soul." You figure that always seems to be that snitching represents that one uncrossable line, and Mikey has already taken a ton of shit from him. I have a really bad feeling.

@Emily I could be wrong, of course, but I think that Ava doesn't really have a plan at this point. I think she is rooting for things to work out with Boyd and I think that she really wants that all to work, but I think above all else she wants to survive and not go back to jail. I think the business with Raylan comes back to the fact that they know each other and have a history and there is just no use playing around at the fringes. He knows, she knows he knows and so she was going to find out where his head is and hopefully keep herself out of jail which is her prime objective. I think that he wants to protect her if he reasonably can, and I think that she believes that too and in the interest of preserving that I think she is playing ball with him as much as she has to. A very tight tightrope. I really think it's as simple as that. She's just a woman in a super tough spot trying to survive it, and she loves her life and freedom a little more than she loved Boyd (as much as I believe she does love Boyd). She is reacting to stuff however she can best advance an agenda, but really she is just a leaf in a very violent breeze.

Cory
  • @Travis
    Wow man, I think you put it perfectly. I guess that since Raylan and Ava haven't really interacted at all since season 1, I forgot how much they know each other. The show did a good job of trying to remind us, but that's just a hell of a long time. However, I understand now that she really didn't have much of a choice in the pizza portal. They both knew she was lying. Thanks for clearing that up!
    Although, hate to be a downer and I really hope it doesn't happen, but I thought as soon as Wynn Duffy said he was the rat and agreed to be a CI again, there's no way he survives the season. And Mikey being his downfall does make sense. I mean, they've given him more to do/say this season alone than all the other ones combined. They've actually given him a personality, which, on this show usually means something bad.
    Travis
  • @Amelia
    Oh, yeah when he showed his skills, I thought, wow he might be an even faster quickdraw than Raylan. I'm fully expecting/hoping for them to have a great showdown. But, I really doubt that he wil be the be the one to kill Raylan Givens. Just because I don't think they would want to kill off their main character/hero with a guy introduced in the last few episodes.
    Amelia
  • Emily said:

@Travis
    Wow man, I think you put it perfectly. I guess that since Raylan and Ava haven't really interacted at all since season 1, I forgot how much they know each other. The show did a good job of trying to remind us, but that's just a hell of a long time. However, I understand now that she really didn't have much of a choice in the pizza portal. They both knew she was lying. Thanks for clearing that up!
    Although, hate to be a downer and I really hope it doesn't happen, but I thought as soon as Wynn Duffy said he was the rat and agreed to be a CI again, there's no way he survives the season. And Mikey being his downfall does make sense. I mean, they've given him more to do/say this season alone than all the other ones combined. They've actually given him a personality, which, on this show usually means something bad.

Well put about Wynn. I totally agree. I'm still clinging to a hope that he slithers off into the distance, and A.Ron is right SOME people have to survive (I just finished the podcast a couple minutes ago), but man they painted some pretty perilous writing on the wall, especially since they really have paid Mikey more attention. That said, this show can be incredibly hard to predict. They love moving the pieces around and they are fantastic at finding ways to make characters do unexpected things without betraying who they fundamentally are. It doesn't look very good though.
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard - Kaitlyn Dever is only 18.
  • @trippy
    I completely agree. I didn't like the way they killed him off either. I feel like they didn't use any of Avery's mercs to their full capabilities really. I've said it before, but they just seemed like such really promising badass characters, I'm so dissapointed that they didn't do more with them. I'm sure there were various reasons for this on behalf of the show, but still quite a letdown. And yeah, they got rid of him when Avery paid him off and then they bring him back after a couple episodes for one scene where he falls for a completely obvious trick? I think I can hear the typewriters!
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited March 2015
    Amelia said:

I feel that bowl cut henchman is being set up to be a serious threat for Raylan, one that Raylan might  underestimate. That guy is aware of Raylan's reputation and seems very eager to face him. I'm a bit scared for Raylan; I hope they're not setting up a scenario in which the hero ends up being killed by a newcomer he underestimates.

Yeah, I get a "Robert Ford/Jesse James vibe off of him and Raylan, or more appropriately the character played by Garrett Dillahunt in Deadwood that killed Wild Bill. Though Boone (bowl cut guy) comes off as more competent than either one of those killers. Though really, I thought shooting a snake's head was kind of a weak display of power.
    Amelia
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited March 2015
    Listening to the cast: RE the actor who plays Boon, Jonathan Tucker. That scene with Loretta, at her house, was creepy as all get out. Anywho, the show you were thinking about is The Black Donnellys, which was mentioned by several folks (myself included) in the Short Lived Shows ... Gone but not forgotten thread. It was an excellent show, and Tucker played one of the leads and was quite good in it. 

Boon reminds me of Fletcher Nix, a skilled bad guy that puts one of Raylan's loved ones in jeopardy and Raylan will have to put him down in some sort of duel. But I'm with A.Ron and Jim: If he ends up being the one to put down Raylan, I won't be happy. Not sure I'll eat a Stetson or two, but it will be a disappointment. Art did say to Raylan earlier this season, "...sometimes it just doesn't go your way." Maybe killing Boon makes Raylan think he still has the goods, only to not have it go his way against Boyd. Who knows... I wouldn't want to be responsible for writing the ending of this show. Tricky stuff. 

AmeliaA_Ron_Hubbard
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited March 2015
    The late great Black Donnellys. Recently re-watched...still holds up.

Boon is a creep, I can only hope he falls in a ditch like a certain someone else.
  • So we learned who was the rat, but there are still two shoes waiting to drop, right - who killed Vaquez's boss and who killed Hale's husband?
    Travis
  • So we learned who was the rat, but there are still two shoes waiting to drop, right - who killed Vaquez's boss and who killed Hale's husband?

You're right. My brain had kind of landed on a bow having been put on the situation, but those are still loose threads. I really hope they have something cool to put it all together. They've pushed at it so hard and even though this season has been so good in general that I haven't put a ton of thought into it as a shortcoming, I have found myself not too terribly interested in that angle of things. They tied it to Wynn and his survival, which is interesting to me, but the actual "who screwed who over and why" of it... They just haven't given me a ton of reason to get invested. I am just kind of trusting that it will all come together and mean something significant in the end. Mostly, now though I see it as kind of merely a bit of propulsion for characters who need motivations/a little mystery surrounding them.

Like I said, I'm loving the season and I'm not complaining. I'm just not terribly invested in the whole thing at the moment.

• CoryCory New Scotland

So we learned who was the rat, but there are still two shoes waiting to drop, right - who killed Vaquez's boss and who killed Hale's husband?

Surely Wynn hired people to take them out to cover his ass?  Or do you think the specific individuals who pulled the trigger/set up the fake suicide will matter?
  • Cory said:

So we learned who was the rat, but there are still two shoes waiting to drop, right - who killed Vaquez's boss and who killed Hale's husband?

Surely Wynn hired people to take them out to cover his ass?  Or do you think the specific individuals who pulled the trigger/set up the fake suicide will matter?

I thought about that, but I figure he wouldn't want at least the DA dead. If you make a secret snitch deal it is in order to get something in return. Why would you kill the person who was going to make good on the deal, particularly if it was in secret and thus leaving no one to make sure you were taken care of?

If there was a way to trace the snitching back to him through Catherine's husband, I could see that as motivation to have him whacked in prison, but I don't understand killing the DA.

• CoryCory New Scotland
    Travis said:

If there was a way to trace the snitching back to him through Catherine's husband, I could see that as motivation to have him whacked in prison, but I don't understand killing the DA.

How did the records get sealed?  Once they were sealed and Grady was murdered, wouldn't the DA be the last way to trace the rat back to Duffy (sans unsealing the documents)?
    Travis
  • Cory said:

Travis said:

How did the records get sealed?  Once they were sealed and Grady was murdered, wouldn't the DA be the last way to trace the rat back to Duffy (sans unsealing the documents)?

True, I guess it just has to do with what precisely led to him snitching. What he got from it. I guess I concluded that it had to do with some sort of legal protection (just figuring it is the most common reason someone like Wynn would do that), and if the DA is the only one protecting him and he kills that guy his protection goes away. Even if it is a "use a littler fish to get a big fish" situation he would still want protection against being rounded up simply for being an involved fish.

This is all just assumptions. I am not a criminal or someone in law enforcement and I know incredibly little about what goes on in that world so I may be totally missing an obvious point. 

Cory
  • If Winn had a US Attorney killed, I don't see Art or Raylan letting him go.
    Travis
  • edited March 2015
    @Travis
    It completely reminds me of season 4. I couldn't guess at all how that was going to end and I was blown away once it was over. (Man, that was a good season.) And to an extent season 5 as well, those twists with both Ava (becoming a CI) and Boyd (going back to robbing banks) at the end left me speechless. Uh, now I'm just remembering how excited I was r this season. Ok, well my point is that, yes, this show is incredibly hard to predict. I don't think I've ever seen the ending of any season coming and this one is like tenfold that. I'm not even going to try and guess. I just hope its not too depressing.
  • After listening to the podcast, I've decided that I really like the idea of Loretta being the one to kill Boon Mags Benet style. Boon could still out-draw Raylan at some point, though, without killing him. I just think someone needs to prove himself (or herself but not likely) a quicker draw than Raylan before the end of the series. That way Raylan gets a bittersweet ending; he leaves Harlan alive, reunites with his family, but loses his top gunslinger status.
    hypergenesb