Solo trailer

chriskchrisk Indianapolis
Full trailer is out.

It's funny - the teaser last night had me pretty hyped for a concept I wasn't that interested in to begin with. Now the full trailer is out, I'm having doubts about Ehrenreich in the role. This probably isn't fair though because he really shouldn't be expected to do a Harrison Ford impression, which Is what I think I was expecting. He just has to get some of the swagger down, but maybe adjusted for lack of age and experience. 

I think the subconscious approach I'm taking with these new SW movies is that they're delayed delivery on all the space opera I assumed was coming after seeing the original trilogy as a kid. I think maybe that's why Rogue One and TLJ didn't bother me in the least, along with whatever deviations they had from the lore. I want high quality space adventures, and if Star Wars is the delivery system, then great. Not that I don't have an emotional connection to SW - I'm hyped for Lando especially - but I'm ok with them doing whatever they want, so long as it's in space and the story is compelling. Give me space westerns, space noir, space horror, etc...

Emilia Clarke comes off pretty well in this too, I think.

Comments

• chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    re:Ehrenreich I think it's the voice that's bugging me.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    @chrisk I said the same thing... his voice is all wrong.

that aside, I am excited for this one! Han is one of my favorites <3
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 6
    You can take 2 minutes of any bad movie and make it look good. I’m not getting my hopes up until I see this one. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • It looks amazing, but at this point... it kind of seems like that's the easy part. Whether there's a workable story, competent acting, and restraint to not overdo it on the fan service is yet to be seen.
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited February 6
    The actor has the vibe; I don't care about the pitch of his voice. And honestly, all that is secondary to a story that makes sense. They're 1 for 3 on that. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • . . . I have a bad feeling about this . . .
    JoshuaHeterdarwinfeeshyDummy
  • I’m digging Glover as Lando. I wish they would have just done a Lando movie. 
    JoshuaHeterElisaKingKobraA_Ron_HubbardAww_PHuuCkMurderbear
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited February 6
    So, there are so many things they *could* show, the risk is that they'll try to cram it all in and it'll just be a mess.

FWIW, I'd be slightly disappointed if we didn't see Jabba. I always thought that a giant slug mob boss and his entourage was too cool to only get 20 minutes (or whatever) of screen time. I have no interest in seeing the Kessel run, but I'm guessing we'll get it anyway.

What is everyone else hoping to see (or avoid seeing)?* 

*Edit: to clarify, I'd rather have no Jabba than a Special Edition - A New Hope Jabba.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    So, there are so many things they *could* show, the risk is that they'll try to cram it all in and it'll just be a mess.

FWIW, I'd be slightly disappointed if we didn't see Jabba. I always thought that a giant slug mob boss and his entourage was too cool to only get 20 minutes (or whatever) of screen time. I have no interest in seeing the Kessel run, but I'm guessing we'll get it anyway.

What is everyone else hoping to see (or avoid seeing)?* 

*Edit: to clarify, I'd rather have no Jabba than a Special Edition - A New Hope Jabba.
    God, I was watching the Special Edition Jabba on blu-ray the other evening. Holy cow that is bad. I don't remember it being as awful when I was a kid. But Jesus. 
    JoshuaHeterdarwinfeeshy
  • Emelia Clarke is a dodgy actor. Some things she does really well, others she does poorly. She was terrible in Terminator Genysis in my opinion. 
    Murderbear
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I’m digging Glover as Lando. I wish they would have just done a Lando movie. 
    I swore up and down that Glover was a pandering, ham-handed, "let's relate to the teens/young adults" choice, but the second I saw this, I was sold:

• FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited February 7
    Emelia Clarke is a dodgy actor. Some things she does really well, others she does poorly. She was terrible in Terminator Genysis in my opinion. 
    What has she been good in? Her character is great in GoT, but that's in spite of her acting. Other than that, I don't know if I've even seen her in anything else besides Term Gen (awful movie overall).
    I was just talking to my aunt who went to Disneyland last month...

Here's what's funny to me.

Disney is being more careful with Frozen 2 than Star Wars. 

• My opinion on Solo: if I go in expecting the worse I can only be positively surprised. 
    KingKobraTaraC73
  • Freddy said:
    I’m digging Glover as Lando. I wish they would have just done a Lando movie. 
    I swore up and down that Glover was a pandering, ham-handed, "let's relate to the teens/young adults" choice, but the second I saw this, I was sold:

Not sure how he fits into the “relate to teens/young adults”...Many of his fans are probably 30+ and listen/have listened to his music and role on Community. He really stepped things up with Atlanta which pretty much sealed it for me (he shows a wide acting range there). It also helps that he’s a big fan of the franchise ;) 
  • edited February 7

Alkaid13 said:
    My opinion on Solo: if I go in expecting the worse I can only be positively surprised. 
    Low or no expectations are what I try to go in with. TLJ, I was conflicted at 1st. After seeing it again, I liked it a LOT more. With this Movies history, I’d go in with tempered expectations period. I’m already saving up to buy all the popcorn I’l need for the reaction threads ;) 
    JaimieTletrbuck2006
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I think this looks fine. I'm really excited for Glover as Lando, and I co-sign a Lando sequel. I'm just not super excited because of the films existing rep and the way the franchise is being managed.
    KingKobra said:

Alkaid13 said:
    My opinion on Solo: if I go in expecting the worse I can only be positively surprised. 
    Low or no expectations are what I try to go in with. TLJ, I was conflicted at 1st. After seeing it again, I liked it a LOT more. With this Movies history, I’d go in with tempered expectations period. I’m already saving up to buy all the popcorn I’l need for the reaction threads ;) 

I'll buy stock in popcorn.
    KingKobraTaraC73letrbuck2006Elisa