PS Vita

CoryCory New Scotland
Does anyone have a Vita?  Thinking of getting one, what should I look for if I do get one?

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I do...are you asking what games you should get? Or something else specifically. Its a good system...but what you should be aware of is that they are not really making new games for it any longer. That isn't to say it doesn't have games worth your time, depending on your taste. But if you are looking for something that is going to keep shooting new games your way, you may be a bit disappointed. 

I think if you were specifically looking for a handheld system with a touch screen...you may be happier with a switch or a 3DS. But as always with this stuff, it probably comes down to which games you prefer. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Nah, not asking what game, more if all versions of the Vita are made equal, or if I should look for certain specs?
  • There are two models of Vita. The original and the slim. People say that the OLED screen on the original is better, but I own the slim and it's perfectly fine.

Also, the Vita is designed to only allow proprietary Playstation memory cards. They are a bit more pricey than standard SD cards, so keep that in mind when making a purchase.

Hope you enjoy the Vita! You can grab some of the greatest games of all time for dirt cheap!

I have the original but haven't goofed off with the slim, so I can't really speak to the difference in screens. However, I have had some issues with the touchscreen on mine. Now, in all honesty, that could just be wear and tear and a few unfortunate bumps and bruises. But it may be something to look into. I just found the touchscreen to be not very responsive. This may just be because of aging tech as well. I really don't think there is that much of a difference in the models, however. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Also, the Vita is designed to only allow proprietary Playstation memory cards. They are a bit more pricey than standard SD cards, so keep that in mind when making a purchase.
    I actually watched a video about the Vita right after my last post, that mentioned that very thing, and made me hesitant.

@darwinfeeshy, @Garthgou81 - Thanks for the info, I had thought there were more than two models, for some reason (some come with 3G right?  But that's of no consequence to me).

One other question, you can use it as a PS4 controller too, right?  How well does that work though, as it's missing the bottom two trigger (L2 & R2) from the classic controller, right?
    edited February 8
    I really can't speak for the models. I know there is a slim and a fat version. But there may be some other differences in the models and SKUs that make small differences. Nothing that is make-or-break, that I am aware of. There are 3G models. I never used them with either the original PSP or Vita that I purchased because I am just not that interested in online gaming...or at least not enough to pay a data fee. 

As far as using it with a PS4 as a controller, yes you can. I have not used it much, however. It is a tad clunky, and I've also heard rumblings that it won't work on all PS4 games. It sort of requires the game developers to go the extra mile to enable that function. But, I've never had that experience due to my limited times of trying it. Here is a bit more info from IGN http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Use_PS4_Remote_Play

As for how the R2/L2 button thing is handled...from my memory, most games have you tap the touch screen located on the back of the Vita to hit the R2/L2 buttons. So you kind of run into the same problem that you have when playing an iOS game that has a button to push on the touchscreen, except here, the touchscreen button is on the back of the Vita, so it is pretty unreliable about when you are actually tapping where you expect to be tapping.

In all fairness other Vita games use that back touchscreen as well, so its not JUST when using the Vita as a PS4 controller that you run into that problem. 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks, hoping I can find a second hand or refurbished one for a good price.
    PM me if you'd like. I really don't play mine anymore...though I have am from the US, so I am not entirely sure how that translates over there, outside of needing a different AC adaptor (I believe). You may want to look into it and see if there are any other differences that you should be aware of. 
  • edited February 9
    Vita consoles and physical games are not region locked.

The only thing that is region locked are downloaded games (they have to be from the same region as your PSN account), but if you were gonna restore the system anyway it shouldn't be an issue.
    Vita consoles and physical games are not region locked.

The only thing that is region locked are downloaded games (they have to be from the same region as your PSN account), but if you were gonna restore the system anyway it shouldn't be an issue.
    I couldn't remember if that was the case. Thanks!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    edited February 9
    I am not entirely sure how that translates over there, outside of needing a different AC adaptor (I believe). You may want to look into it and see if there are any other differences that you should be aware of. 
    I'm not from the British Isles (or Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa or South America). :wink:

We definitely have the same AC adapters.

I think I might head down to EB Games after I wake up, and see what they have.
    Shows how much I know! Okay, Godspeed! 
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    No worries, it's intentionally misleading.  It used to say Atlantis. lol