Benioff & Weiss to write/produce new Star Wars films

MrXMrX CO
edited February 6 in Movies
Separate from the new Rian Johnson trilogy. That's a lot of Star Wars. Wonder what this means for "Confederate"? Also if they're not directing perhaps they could pull in some directors from the GoT roster ... Miguel Sapochnik Star Wars movie anyone?

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/new-star-wars-movies-game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-db-weiss/
Flukes

Comments

• AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited February 6
    Hopefully that means Confederate is going into the storage vaults, next to the Ark of the Covenant.

GoT Seasons 1,2,3,4, and 6 were excellent.  I see the flaws of 5 as an attempt to not spoil the "any-day-now-I-promise" Winds of Winter.  My worry for Star Wars is that going from an 8-10 hour season to a 2 hour movie will be hard for them... the one time they really tried to condense plot into a tighter duration (Season 7), they really missed with the storytelling.

But given that they won't be lasso'ed into someone else's half-finished plot points, I feel like they'll do a better job than what we saw in season 7.
    pavlovsbell
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Considering the stuff yhe DD's have had to make whole cloth without GRRM have been some of the most cringy and worst parts of the show I can't say this excites me. 

Now if the news included the fact that GRRM had written a Star Wars trilogy instead of working on Winds od Winter, and they were producing it I might be more excited.  

• I feel a bit overwhelmed by all this Star Wars product. Not sure what to think. Slightly nervous that the double Ds have so far proven highly talented at showrunning a story written by someone else rather than writing one themselves. Will there be a writers room for the movies? Will anyone offer them some bullet points to build story around as GRRM has? Can only speculate I suppose. 
    JaimieT
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 6
    Luke said:
    Considering the stuff yhe DD's have had to make whole cloth without GRRM have been some of the most cringy and worst parts of the show I can't say this excites me. 

Now if the news included the fact that GRRM had written a Star Wars trilogy instead of working on Winds od Winter, and they were producing it I might be more excited.  

Benioff is a pretty good writer on his own - he wrote the novel and screenplay "The 25th Hour" and his novel "City of Thieves" is well reviewed, I've been meaning to read. I think part of the issue w/ GoT is that they had to change course 2/3's of the way through, when the passed GRRM's books. I have more confidence that they can successfully develop a story when they are starting it from the beginning (of course with plenty of "direction" from Kathleen Kennedy et al)
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Also if it turned out that GRRM had been working on a Star Wars trilogy instead of Winds of Winter, I think we'd see the internet generate an enormity of wrath never before witnessed in human civilization.

"The first two are done, and most of the third... Just working out the ending.  Stay tuned!"
    SandyWest79
  • MrX said:
    Separate from the new Rian Johnson trilogy. That's a lot of Star Wars. Wonder what this means for "Confederate"? Also if they're not directing perhaps they could pull in some directors from the GoT roster ... Miguel Sapochnik Star Wars movie anyone?

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/new-star-wars-movies-game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-db-weiss/
    D&D are only 1/2 of Confederate. I don’t think it will have any impact on that show (iMO). Since this is very early stages, it could be exciting for this new trilogy. 
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Siiiiiiiiiiigggghhhhhhhhhhhhh
    ElisaFlukes
  • Is it April 1st already? I honestly don't know how to process this. 
  • edited February 7
    Disney want a Star Wars film every year, I don't see how this surprises people any more. These announcements have all been pretty close together, but I wouldn't expect to see these films for years, considering all the others they have to get through first. That said, I would be all about a Miguel Sapochnik-directed Star Wars film.

(And yes, I would take this over Confederate any day.)
  • If they would be adapting one of the EU novels I’d be Super excited but like others mentioned not that sold on their ability to create something completely new. 
    JaimieT
  • Luke and Leia are totally going to bang. 
    HatorianDoubleA_Ron2manyboogersElisaMurderbear
  • It's all about incest family.
  • I'm curious if both new trilogies will be post EP9. I assume Rian's will be. 

Looking forward to the new stories in the galaxy.
    I'm curious if both new trilogies will be post EP9. I assume Rian's will be. 

I used to think they would drop the EP titles after 9, but now I think... fuck it, why would they? It's $$$
  • I'm curious if both new trilogies will be post EP9. I assume Rian's will be. 

Some may be, but they have a long history before to get stories from as well. No reason we couldn’t see both before and after. 
  • @KingKobra yea people are salivating at a KOTOR. Right now I think the only thing pre EP1 Cannon is the Darth Maul comics so they have a lot of time to work with.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    We will see. Solo and Episode 9 are going to decide for me whether Star Wars films are must see or catch on video. Things I can't believe I'm actually saying. 
    ElisaSandyWest79
  • @KingKobra yea people are salivating at a KOTOR. Right now I think the only thing pre EP1 Cannon is the Darth Maul comics so they have a lot of time to work with.
    Yeah, I know about the want for KOTOR ;) I kigjtblike something that isn’t so well known. The more people have invested in it, the more likely they are to be disappointed. 
  • I want to see a wholly original SW story from DoubleD. I want to see what they really can do. Hopefully teaming up with Miguel Sapochnik as well. 
  • It will be interesting to see how all of these new Star Wars movies play out.  There's a lot of films to be coming out and like mentioned before there isn't much talks about where it's going after episode 9.  I'm excited to see the DD take on something as big as this but part of me is concerned as well.  Only time will tell how it plays out and how well the DDs do on this (and also the last season of Game of Thrones) could mean a lot for their career.  If they and the movies are great then I see big things for them in the future but if they bomb it could turn to quite the downward spiral for their careers.
  • Pretty sure he was told he can’t do anything post episode 9.
  • Not shocking given how none of the 6 movies have even approached the quality of ROTJ at this point.  Closest is Rogue One in my estimation.

We will see. Solo and Episode 9 are going to decide for me whether Star Wars films are must see or catch on video. Things I can't believe I'm actually saying. 

• Why is there backlash with this news? I don't understand the diversity point for diversity sake. So now every movie must have a woman or African American person just for inclusion sake? It's like the force of a rule in the NFL called the rooneyrule where you must interview a black candidate even if they have no shot at the job. Shouldn't this be a meritocracy end of point? Not saying DD deserve to get this. I've never seen any star wars movies am just talking in general about this fake rage I see everywhere when a white person gets picked over anyone else. I say this as being a middle Eastern person not a white person btw 
    daveh said:
    I want to see a wholly original SW story from DoubleD. I want to see what they really can do. Hopefully teaming up with Miguel Sapochnik as well. 

Have you seen The Expanse? Pretend it's not our solar system and there you go.
    Elisa
  • JaimieT said:
    daveh said:
    I want to see a wholly original SW story from DoubleD. I want to see what they really can do. Hopefully teaming up with Miguel Sapochnik as well. 

That's next on my to watch list. I'm super excited after all the praise J&A have given it. I bumped Altered Carbon in front of it since it just came out, but it's definitely up next. Thanks for the suggestion
    ElisaJaimieT
  • mft9186 said:
    Why is there backlash with this news? I don't understand the diversity point for diversity sake. So now every movie must have a woman or African American person just for inclusion sake? It's like the force of a rule in the NFL called the rooneyrule where you must interview a black candidate even if they have no shot at the job. Shouldn't this be a meritocracy end of point? Not saying DD deserve to get this. I've never seen any star wars movies am just talking in general about this fake rage I see everywhere when a white person gets picked over anyone else. I say this as being a middle Eastern person not a white person btw 
    The backlash is probably related to their show Confederate. As far as your other points, without some of those rules, people of color and women would never get a chance (even if they deserved to get one). Having a diverse cast/leadership better represents the world/workforce period. 
    gguenotElisaDee
  • mft9186 said:
    Why is there backlash with this news? I don't understand the diversity point for diversity sake. So now every movie must have a woman or African American person just for inclusion sake? It's like the force of a rule in the NFL called the rooneyrule where you must interview a black candidate even if they have no shot at the job. Shouldn't this be a meritocracy end of point? Not saying DD deserve to get this. I've never seen any star wars movies am just talking in general about this fake rage I see everywhere when a white person gets picked over anyone else. I say this as being a middle Eastern person not a white person btw 
    Giving the job to the most qualified person is great, but the issue is women/minorities are not getting the opportunities to even be considered for a lot of the work in Hollywood, so they're not competing on a level playing field.
    gguenotElisaSandyWest79
  • MrX said:
    mft9186 said:
    Giving the job to the most qualified person is great, but the issue is women/minorities are not getting the opportunities to even be considered for a lot of the work in Hollywood, so they're not competing on a level playing field.
    Also, a lot of Hollywood isnt all talent based— networking and shmoozing plays a big factor and if white males generally have easier access to lunches with execs and the big wigs then minorities and women are at an inherent disadvantage 
    ElisaSandyWest79
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    My over saturation with Disney and Star Wars has met its maximum indulgence. I’m gonna wait for my baldies and tv fanatics to clue me in if I really need to watch any more of these movies. Re: Solo, I wish it was a Lando movie. Re: double D’s I wish they would something more adventurous. 
    JaimieT
    edited February 8
    daveh said:
    JaimieT said:
    daveh said:

That's next on my to watch list. I'm super excited after all the praise J&A have given it. I bumped Altered Carbon in front of it since it just came out, but it's definitely up next. Thanks for the suggestion

This time through, I noticed it really takes off in episode 8. Which is a LONG wait. But the politics and intrigue are just so, so good. Find some synopsis online to clarify things, if you need, or message me. It helps if you can follow exactly what Miller is piecing together and who the players are. I remember needing to do that in Game of Thrones season 1 too. It's very reminiscent of Ned Stark fumbling his way through King's Landing, except instead of an outsider we're following an insider. That's trickier narratively; there's no need for people to explain everything to The Expanse's Ned Stark. Also subtitles are super helpful. There's a lot of fun slang (as there would be; it's the future). 

The other major plot thread is fun and action-y (spaceships are cool!), so don't worry, it's not like it's boring until episode 8...
    Elisa