Deus Ex

CoryCory New Scotland
Is this an FPS?  It feels kind of like a three way combo of  FPS/Batman Arkham/Telltale game.

I'm not that big or great of a gamer, and I suck at FPS games (never really played many, to be sure).  

I bought a used copy of Human Revolution after downloading the Mankind Divided for free last month, but I'm not very good at it.  I like the idea of it, the stealth (reminds me of being Batman, but feels inferior), the story line seems like it will be good to very good, but I am terrible in a firefight.

Any tips for me, either for stealth or in a firefight?  I've gotten a little better, but maybe I try to be too perfect?  Do I need to take out everyone all the time?

Also Jensen accidentally kills the guy instead of knocking him out sometimes, I swear I'm tapping O and not holding it.

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited February 7
    Human Revolution is pretty good about giving you multiple ways to play it, especially after they redid the boss fights to allow for stealth options. I focused a lot on the hacking and stealth and didn't get into a lot of straight up firefights which sounds like it might suit you. There will usually be a vent or alternate path somewhere if you look hard enough that lets you skip big pieces of the rooms. Eventually you can hack terminals and take over those patrol robots and turrets and let them kill everybody which is how I went through a lot of the late game.

You don't need to take out everybody all the time, just get to the next checkpoint if you don't feel like fighting.
    Murderbear
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks, I like the stealth but I end up being discovered before I can take everyone out, most times, which is what leads to the firefights.  I've figured out how to shoot people when crouched behind something a little better though.

Unless by stealth, you mean finding the vents and just by-passing the altercations altogether?
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I've got about 20 hours in on Mankind Divided and I do think that in the beginning of the game, it's pretty challenging. Once you get to Prague and as you slowly start unlocking more abilities, it seems like it levels off a bit and it got a little easier

I try and do as much stealth as I can. Sometimes I don't have the patience for it but in certain situations, you're just going to get merc'd if you don't take your time.

I love the setting and certain aspects of it but half the time they are naming all these people and shadow governments and organizations and I have no clue what the hell they are talking about. I just kind of go along with it. Jensen is a cool character but sometimes his "cool guy voice" can get a little annoying. Ha!

I played some of Human Revolution a long time ago but the thing I remembered hating the most was the boss fights. They were bad. And there was a good reason for that, they outsourced those to a different company which is why they felt so disconnected to the rest of the game.

I hope you stick with it though! It's a fun game once you get the hang of it!
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks, I plan to finish Human Revolution before starting Mankind Divided.

Sometimes I wish I was more into video games; is that an oxymoron?

Ahh, I'll try to pick away at it a bit here and there.  Chances are once I get a little deeper into it, upgrade some and get a little better at it, I'll get more into it and play it more

I love the setting and certain aspects of it but half the time they are naming all these people and shadow governments and organizations and I have no clue what the hell they are talking about. I just kind of go along with it. Jensen is a cool character but sometimes his "cool guy voice" can get a little annoying. Ha!
    I feel ya there.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Cory said:

Unless by stealth, you mean finding the vents and just by-passing the altercations altogether?

Usually yea, I haven't played that game since like 2012 but if I remember right you don't have to kill people most of the time as long as you get past them without getting seen. The idea in most of those games is you can do them without killing anybody if you do it right.
    Cory
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited February 8
    ideally you would avoid killing people unnecessarily...  like the metro games kinda--if you can be stealthy it makes your life easier.  that said, i am far too lazy and sloppy for stealth games so i invariably wind up screwing up and going bloodbath mode.  you can do that too in these games (most of the time--maybe not full-on barge into the room shooting but a mix of stealth and murderous rampage usually works).  screwing up and getting discovered isn't as punishing (imo) at it is in like dishonored, murder mode is mostly viable.