Officially Official TWD Plan Going Forward

Okay, so Jim and I don't give a shit about The Walking Dead anymore.  That's the part that's broke and ain't going to be fixed.  Toast can't never be bread again.  We're also bored of shitting on The Walking Dead the same way we've been doing for years, minus the hopeful part that Gimple would get his act together.  I realize that there are a lot of people bored with that kind of podcast, too.  We hear you.

This January, we played with a lot of concepts involving the Joe and Al gag from Riverdale, doing a crazy post show with impressions and that deal where we superimpose our mouths over cast photos and just go the crazy comedy route, and everything in between.  Unfortunately, the more creative ideas that we could execute with some semblance of passion are impractical with our current staff and setup.  If we had a studio engineer to help us with transitions and setup or perhaps better gear or certainly with both that's something we'd love to do and think it would be funny and cool.  But we don't.

So, dump TWD or re-run the same old?  After much discussion and debate, we've decided to just run back the same old, same old, but more streamlined.  A large majority of our current audience that loves what we do on TWD. Also, it seems that there is literally nothing else we could do for the next 60 days or so that would be as sure of a thing as just doing TWD.  So, we are going to be doing LiveWatches, with a podcast on Tuesday, with limited feedback. We're thinking of doing an "email of the week" or something like that, to limit the huge amount of time we spend processing and editing that.  There will be a bit of freshness, in that Jim will be in Rome for the first two weeks of TWD coverage, so I've got feelers out for guest hosts which would be fun until he gets back.

We'll be using the free time to do more things with video, more things with Twitch, and to get caught up on our commission queue before Westworld returns.  We have a few of the ideas to improve our Instant Take podcast for WW and make it more of a complete after show with feedback and maybe even live feedback that we considered in brainstorming for TWD but decided it would be dumb to invest that much energy on a fundamentally bad show.  Once Westworld hits, it's going to be a pretty full year until the end, with plans for Expanse, American Gods, Game of Thrones season 3, Better Call Saul, Bald Movies, etc, and a bunch of other fun side projects we have planned but don't want to spoil.

Finally, let it be known that Watching Dead is on it's very last legs.  This isn't up for debate.  We likely would not have come back for season 8B or whatever this is had it not been for TV pushing everything else back several months.  I would not count on a season nine.  If we have another person in here helping us out, which is a possibility, and we can pull off something fun and inventive to continue enjoying ourselves at TWD's expense, we would do so, but as it is, both the show and our podcast are running out of steam and no longer growing.
bazjensterAlkaid13ReniFlukesTravistom_gMurderbearphoenyx1023davehsbench2and 14 others.

Comments

• Well theoretically since TWD is supposed to be the story of Rick and Carl, once Carl dies you could say that actually TWD is done and therefore you have successfully covered it in entirety. 
    DoubleA_RonTaraC73
  • Whether he miraculously recovers from his fatal wound or not it’s basically not the same property anymore. 
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @A_Ron_Hubbard I wish the majority of your stuff wasn't done during the day throughout the work week. I would be trying so hard to get that engineer job!
  • Excited for another half season ripping into TWD, and sad that it will likely end there, but I totally get it. In your shoes, I would have quit long ago. Especially since it's no longer growing.

As far as the streamlined version goes, I mostly enjoy you comedically poking all the holes in all the dumb plot points. Keep that much, ditch the rest. Even the feedback is not necessary in my humble opinion. 
  • Very rational plan.

I think there are probably many here like me - I've hate watched for years, but, will probably see it out to the end, and REALLY enjoy your coverage.
    Dani
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Support 100%. I watched the show much longer than I wanted to because of the BM coverage, until it got so bad that I didn't want to spend any time on it, even with Jim & A-Ron making fun of it. I want to hear the guys talking about stuff I like and care about: WW & BCS and the occasional AHS
    chrisk
  • brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA
    Oh thank God. Like @tom_g I am going to watch it until the bitter end. So listening to the podcast will make it worthwhile. 
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard will the cast on Tuesday still be a live recording? I enjoy those for the few shows that you do them for.
  • This makes me so happy. Livewatches of TWD are gold. 
    DoubleA_RonJTKIII
  • I'll be that guy.  Feel like you're dropping the ball on this one, boys.

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    @A_Ron_Hubbard will the cast on Tuesday still be a live recording? I enjoy those for the few shows that you do them for.
    Yes indeed. Although I make no promises about the first two until I can lock down the guest hosts .
  • Hey you may not have Jim there the first 2 weeks but don't worry...I'll be around
    DoubleA_RonMichelle
    Hey you may not have Jim there the first 2 weeks but don't worry...I'll be around
    You bring the donkey sauce and we'll hit flavortown together!
    BaldGuyFerrariJovial_FalconMichelle
  • Good to hear @A_Ron_Hubbard

I know the live casts have been selective on certain shows but is there any chance to get more?

If I was podcasting I wouldn't want to do a live cast on everything but I curious on how you guys stand. I just love seeing the live aspect.

Keep up the great work BM!
  • For the live watch Jim can probably record some generic TWD comments and you can use that claiming his camera is broken. No one will know the difference at this point of the show.
    lengmo
  • Have a raffle to raise money from club members and winner gets chance to skype in as the guest host 
  • If I could make a suggestion...

Maybe A-Ron does the entirety of the Tuesday podcasts in the Daryl wildcat voice. Could spice things up a bit! Raw
    Jovial_Falconlengmo
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard will the cast on Tuesday still be a live recording? I enjoy those for the few shows that you do them for.
    Yes indeed. Although I make no promises about the first two until I can lock down the guest hosts .
    Does Cecily watch the show at all? If so she'd be a good candidate. 
    jleav382 said:
    @A_Ron_Hubbard will the cast on Tuesday still be a live recording? I enjoy those for the few shows that you do them for.
    Does Cecily watch the show at all? If so she'd be a good candidate. 
    Nah, she quit a few years ago.
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Still hoping that live watches keep going after season 8. love those so much. i would love to see the rating for TWD from when you run live watches to when you stop Them. I have to imagine that BM Live watches account for at least 50% of the current viewership of TWD. The rest just love torture!  
  • Ha!  @FernNYC17 Our download numbers definitely don't bear that out.  But maybe in season 9 / 10 / 11 / 23, as our numbers go up, we'll meet them in the middle.
    voodooratFernNYC17
    Good to hear @A_Ron_Hubbard

I know the live casts have been selective on certain shows but is there any chance to get more?

If I was podcasting I wouldn't want to do a live cast on everything but I curious on how you guys stand. I just love seeing the live aspect.

Keep up the great work BM!
    The good thing about LiveWatches are they are great 1:1 content.  We spend one hour recording, and we get one hour of content without any extra post production work.

The bad thing about LiveWatches is they make it very hard to actually absorb the thing you're LiveWatching.  You're far more interested in making jokes and following those lines of thought and you can easily miss lines of dialog or even whole scenes.  What this means is that your LiveWatch is a garbage watch for analysis.  That means we simply can't do it for any show that benefits from an Instant Take pod.  It would anger people.

We also have found it boring to do a LiveWatch for a show we are really into.  Like, Game of Thrones, for instance.  There might be 10-15 minutes of us sitting like a rock and not being entertaining.  That's no good, either.

Live watches work really, really well for a) shit we don't take seriously, or things that we do take seriously, that have enough humor value to mine, but we have time to do additional watches before the main pod and we don't have Instant Takes for, b) shit we've seen previously and are familiar with, so that we can have an easier time joking and we can still keep up with the show.  

I think you can see why Live Watching The Walking Dead, or some of the Christmas movies work so well.  They're the intersection of shit we don't take seriously and shit that we're familiar enough with that we can have a good time but still get the gist of what's happening.

If anything, I think you can hope for more of B type Live Watches, as that's something we want to do more of in 2018.  Like, once a month, watch a classic on Netflix with the Showgoers app, and save a copy for people who can't make it live.  That's kind of what we're going to try to shoot for.
    Jovial_FalconMurderbearDoubleA_Ronhisdudeness915MichelleFernNYC17
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard yea I get that 100%. Your G.O.T example is spot on. Why would you talk through it? It's too gripping. If my buddy did that I would tell him to wait for the commercials haha.

I actually meant the live recordings of the podcast. I prefer those to just the audio. G.O.T, TWD and Westworld are the 3 I watch. I just wasn't sure if you guys thought about doing more of your weekly podcasts live. Like for example when you guys do The Expanse.

Random Lawnmowers(from years back), a random knock at the door. Accidently going into spoiler territory. I love it all.

Thank you for the reply!
    Oh yeah live recordings are definitely happening. For sure .
    Jovial_Falcon
  • You know what really bums me out. I love this story and the characters and the fact that AMC can't pull their weight and make a better show really upsets me sometimes, like aron pointed out before, they had frank and chose to be greedy and it's gone from there. Then mistake after mistake after mistake for money and ratings. I love twd so much and it just sucks I couldn't get a good all out war ect. And now the fact my favourite podcasters can barely handle how bad the show is anymore (AMC's fault) just saddens me. I look at 2 twd posters everyday (the comic and tv side by side and the rick season 3 standing on the bus) and know I'll never get that show. 
    mwspiak
  • Also since you guys are doing the expanse should I start catching up asap? I could start tomorrow 
    Expanse is good man. Going to blow your doors off compared to TWD. Keep your eye on Amos. He's like a sexier, more badass version of Daryl. 
    johnnytruantJovial_FalconiMatty94JaimieT
  • Still hate watching TWD just because it's a show that is right up my alley in idea but just shit in execution.  Plus my completion OCD makes it really hard to bail on a show when I'm 8 seasons in.  Y'alls podcast is my favorite part of the show because it's nice to hear other people who watch the show that recognize what hot garbage it is.  The only people I know that still watch it still think it's a great show.  If y'all bail on it, I might finally as well.  Would love for you guys to continue a stripped down show just to talk about how much it sucks, but completely understand moving on to better stuff.
  • If Gimple and the new showrunners don't, by some miracle, completely screw up FTWD and it continues to be good, I hope they consider covering it. 
    iMatty94
  • iMatty94 said:
    Also since you guys are doing the expanse should I start catching up asap? I could start tomorrow 
    Do it! It’s 1,000 times better than TWD. 
    iMatty94