Fiction Podcasts

I've had an idea for a podcast for sometime now and surely it has to exist out there: an ongoing, never-ending, world building story. By never-ending I don't mean a story that never ends, but all the smaller stories fit within the same world. Essentially podcast Star Wars/MCU or any other fictional universe that keeps growing. Listening to D&D podcasts kinda has a similar world-building feel but they sometimes get lost in the game play aspects (for obvious reasons) . Does that make sense?

I know what you're going to say: "they're called audio books" but what I'm thinking would be regular shows that just keep adding to the lore on a weekly/regular basis. 

Side note: Does anyone have any good fiction podcast recommendations? 

Comments

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    Dude check out We're Alive, its an audio drama set in a zombie apocalypse.  The main We're Alive story went on for a long time and was really great, the guy behind it has been doing short spin offs since, there's only been one so far but the second one has been teased for a while and will probably release sometime this year.
    Elisa
  • So each episode would tie into the world in some way but not necessarily focus on the same character(s)?  Or more like a seasonal thing where each season shows a part of the larger world?
  • Jim said:
    So each episode would tie into the world in some way but not necessarily focus on the same character(s)?  Or more like a seasonal thing where each season shows a part of the larger world?
    Yes and Yes. I love both ideas. Maybe the seasonal longer arcs are special, like once or twice a year, while the rest of the year is shorter stories. 
  • @Drew I was a fan of We're Alive during its run.  Every once in a while they'd go off to a set of new characters that you didn't know and they'd connect it back to the ones you did.  It worked pretty well.
    Mofojones333Drew
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited February 10
    Sounds like a podcast version of the old 1980s shared world science fiction/fantasy anthologies.  

I think the most famous series is Thieves' World.

Would be pretty cool if it could be pulled off.

Also I remember these Man-Kzin Wars anthologies which were likely inspirations for Wing Commander.  

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    daveh said:
    Side note: Does anyone have any good fiction podcast recommendations? 
    I started The Walk. It's pretty cool so far.
  • Sounds like a podcast version of the old 1980s shared world science fiction/fantasy anthologies.  

I think the most famous series is Thieves' World.

Would be pretty cool if it could be pulled off.

Also I remember these Man-Kzin Wars anthologies which were likely inspirations for Wing Commander.  

Or Wild Cards, back when you-know-who was interested in getting fiction published.
    Doctor_Nick
  • I forgot Wild Cards. I heard it’s optioned for a TV show now, never read any of it myself.  Would be interesting to see how they do off brand supers in the normal world now that there’s so much brand name stuff on TV. 
  • podcartfanpodcartfan Cincinnati
    Have you tried Welcome to the Night Vale?  I only listened to a dozen or so episodes a while back.  If I recall correctly they don't tend to focus on the same events/people, but there is cross over between the reports and what's going on in the town.
    Doctor_Nick
  • Another thought I had for the concept: Not every episode has to be story telling specifically. I would even be interested in hearing the brainstorming for future developments. I also think it would be cool to let the audience shape the story a bit. Probably just stealing good submitted ideas, obviously at the creator's discretion of course. 
  • Have you listened to/watched Critical Role?  There is that 'game play' aspect that you might think gets in the way, but it's still very story heavy - and the campaign takes place in setting that was created by the DM, so it's literally world-building...the DM is creating/fleshing out new parts of his world as the players explore it.
    JaimieT
  • Have you listened to/watched Critical Role?  There is that 'game play' aspect that you might think gets in the way, but it's still very story heavy - and the campaign takes place in setting that was created by the DM, so it's literally world-building...the DM is creating/fleshing out new parts of his world as the players explore it.
    I have not. Currently I'm going through The Adventure Zone, but I'll put that one on my list as well. Thanks. 

For those interested, Adventure Zone does a decent job at what I'm looking for. I've never listened to MBMBAM but they are pretty funny on AZ. 

FWIW I don't mind the game play mechanic (at least on what I've listened to thus far: AZ) I just thought I had a good idea that I was kinda shocked didn't exist. 
    CretanBull
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Good call @CretanBull. Critical Role is probably what you want. With so much good TV and books out there, there's a gap in fiction that is wild and untamed and spontaneous and boundless. I think the gameplay adds a nice component of making it more random; otherwise they might default to tropes. It's unprecedented to watch a show and anything can happen, within reason. You're only assured that the story won't break. The DM makes sure of that. People ate up the uncertainty with Game of Thrones, but Critical Role is actually doing peril. 
    CretanBull
  • JaimieT said:
    I think the gameplay adds a nice component of making it more random; otherwise they might default to tropes. 
     It's unprecedented to watch a show and anything can happen, within reason.
    Excellent points. Maybe the game play is a necessary mechanic for it not to just basically be a weekly audio book. 
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited February 13
    daveh said:
    Have you listened to/watched Critical Role?  There is that 'game play' aspect that you might think gets in the way, but it's still very story heavy - and the campaign takes place in setting that was created by the DM, so it's literally world-building...the DM is creating/fleshing out new parts of his world as the players explore it.
    I have not. Currently I'm going through The Adventure Zone, but I'll put that one on my list as well. Thanks. 

For those interested, Adventure Zone does a decent job at what I'm looking for. I've never listened to MBMBAM but they are pretty funny on AZ. 

FWIW I don't mind the game play mechanic (at least on what I've listened to thus far: AZ) I just thought I had a good idea that I was kinda shocked didn't exist. 
    Critical Role just recently started their second campaign - I think they're 5 episodes in (fair warning, each one is about 4 hours).  I've watched a lot of D&D live plays, youtube, twitch etc. and nothing comes close to Critical Role.  The DM - Matt Mercer - is generally regarded as being the best DM in the world, and the players are great too.  Most of them hadn't played D&D before Critical Role (they're all real-life friends who work as Hollywood voice actors) so they aren't locked into a conventional way of thinking about D&D...they (the players) don't have the rules down, they just say "Can I....", "How can I...", "Would it be possible to..." - their style of play is SO open ended, so many great, unique, funny etc things happen.

In the finale episode of the first campaign, there was a moment that I put on par with any of TV's best moments.  It required some understanding of the game so I think a lot of people missed it, but when I realized what had just happened it made me cry.

Edit:  I like Adventure Zone, but the difference between AZ and Critical Role is like the difference between watching kids play football in the park and watching the Super Bowl.
    JaimieT
  • JaimieT said:
    Good call @CretanBull. Critical Role is probably what you want. With so much good TV and books out there, there's a gap in fiction that is wild and untamed and spontaneous and boundless. I think the gameplay adds a nice component of making it more random; otherwise they might default to tropes. It's unprecedented to watch a show and anything can happen, within reason. You're only assured that the story won't break. The DM makes sure of that. People ate up the uncertainty with Game of Thrones, but Critical Role is actually doing peril. 
    Are you a fellow Critter?  Have you seen all of the first campaign & are you current on the new one?
    edited February 13
    daveh said:
    Have you listened to/watched Critical Role?  There is that 'game play' aspect that you might think gets in the way, but it's still very story heavy - and the campaign takes place in setting that was created by the DM, so it's literally world-building...the DM is creating/fleshing out new parts of his world as the players explore it.

Critical Role just recently started their second campaign - I think they're 5 episodes in (fair warning, each one is about 4 hours).  I've watched a lot of D&D live plays, youtube, twitch etc. and nothing comes close to Critical Role.  The DM - Matt Mercer - is generally regarded as being the best DM in the world, and the players are great too.  Most of them hadn't played D&D before Critical Role (they're all real-life friends who work as Hollywood voice actors) so they aren't locked into a conventional way of thinking about D&D...they (the players) don't have the rules down, they just say "Can I....", "How can I...", "Would it be possible to..." - their style of play is SO open ended, so many great, unique, funny etc things happen.

In the finale episode of the first campaign, there was a moment that I put on par with any of TV's best moments.  It required some understanding of the game so I think a lot of people missed it, but when I realized what had just happened it made me cry.

Edit:  I like Adventure Zone, but the difference between AZ and Critical Role is like the difference between watching kids play football in the park and watching the Super Bowl.

What are you talking about? The thing with Liam? Or the thing with Wish? PM me if it can't be vague...
    JaimieT said:
    Are you a fellow Critter?  Have you seen all of the first campaign & are you current on the new one?

Yeah, I started watching when they were on episode 25. I am OG. ;)
  • JaimieT said:
    daveh said:

What are you talking about? The thing with Liam? Or the thing with Wish? PM me if it can't be vague...
    Sam/Liam - when Sam used his 9th level spell to counter-spell the bad guy's teleport and what that meant for Vax.

Directly in the moment I didn't get it.  I noticed Mercer's face when Sam said that he was casting counter-spell at 9th level, but didn't realize that Sam had spoken to Matt about using that spell slot for a Wish.  I was trying to figure out why Matt reacted the way he did, and was trying to make out the things that Sam and Liam were saying to each other but couldn't hear it all with other players talking.  At first, I don't think even Liam understood what happened either...but when Sam started crying, I think it hit me at the same time it hit Liam.

In terms of emotional impact, knowing that those two are best friends in real life, after having witnessed everything that their characters had been through together, knowing that it was the end of the campaign etc.  Seeing Liam say "I love you" and Sam breaking down was overwhelming for me.  I don't know what my 'top 10 tv moments' are, but this moment is on my list for sure...and it might be #1
  • JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:

I watched the first 4 episodes, couldn't get into it and gave up on it.  I dipped back in a few times, but it didn't grab me.  A year or so went by and my friends and I started playing D&D again (after not playing with each other for maybe 15 years!) and they were all raving about CR so I gave it yet another try and I went all in on it.  For about 3 months I either watched or listed to an episode a day....I hit a bit of burn out with it, then got back into it.  Now I'm subscribed on Twitch and watching the new season live.
    JaimieT said:
    daveh said:

Sam/Liam - when Sam used his 9th level spell to counter-spell the bad guy's teleport and what that meant for Vax.

Directly in the moment I didn't get it.  I noticed Mercer's face when Sam said that he was casting counter-spell at 9th level, but didn't realize that Sam had spoken to Matt about using that spell slot for a Wish.  I was trying to figure out why Matt reacted the way he did, and was trying to make out the things that Sam and Liam were saying to each other but couldn't hear it all with other players talking.  At first, I don't think even Liam understood what happened either...but when Sam started crying, I think it hit me at the same time it hit Liam.

In terms of emotional impact, knowing that those two are best friends in real life, after having witnessed everything that their characters had been through together, knowing that it was the end of the campaign etc.  Seeing Liam say "I love you" and Sam breaking down was overwhelming for me.  I don't know what my 'top 10 tv moments' are, but this moment is on my list for sure...and it might be #1

Yeah, I think I'd read enough speculation about Wish that I picked it up from Liam's mouthed statement: "You were saving that for me?" With Mercer's reaction, I just thought he was reacting to Sam blowing a 9th level spell slot on something relatively mundane. Which is sad.

Yeah, Sam crying... that's rough. You know it's bad when Sam cries.

Have you listened to their podcast "All Work, No Play"? It's fun.
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:

I watched the first 4 episodes, couldn't get into it and gave up on it.  I dipped back in a few times, but it didn't grab me.  A year or so went by and my friends and I started playing D&D again (after not playing with each other for maybe 15 years!) and they were all raving about CR so I gave it yet another try and I went all in on it.  For about 3 months I either watched or listed to an episode a day....I hit a bit of burn out with it, then got back into it.  Now I'm subscribed on Twitch and watching the new season live.

Oh nice! You're a very early adopter then (sort of). I was hooked when Vex and Keyleth discovered Clarota. The show never topped that moment for me, actually. 
  • Have you listened to their podcast "All Work, No Play"? It's fun.
    I haven't, but I've wanted to...when I found out about it I was burning through CR episodes and didn't want to take time away from that.  I'll give it a listen sometime soon...like maybe today on the train ride home from work!

Oh nice! You're a very early adopter then (sort of). I was hooked when Vex and Keyleth discovered Clarota. The show never topped that moment for me, actually. 
    My post was misleading, when I listened to the first 4 episodes it wasn't when they first came out, they were somewhere around episode 30 (I think maybe 32 or something).
    JaimieT
  • There’s a new Shadowrun podcast called Sonic Realms that is actual RPG play based but is post processed and released as produced radio play like episodes. 

https://sonicrealmspodcast.com/
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited February 13
    Yo, we talking some CR up in here now? I binged that shit like crack cocaine, I think I listened to like 90 episodes in a single month. It literally kickstarted my interest in D&D. 
    JaimieTCretanBull
  • yeah, i was just going to suggest the adventure zone even though it isn't quite what you were asking about, but you got that covered already.
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Yo, we talking some CR up in here now? I binged that shit like crack cocaine, I think I listened to like 90 episodes in a single month. It literally kickstarted my interest in D&D. 
    CR/D&D has some up a few times now in some different threads...I'll start a new thread for it.  Maybe we could get a BM online campaign going?
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Jim said:
    @Drew I was a fan of We're Alive during its run.  Every once in a while they'd go off to a set of new characters that you didn't know and they'd connect it back to the ones you did.  It worked pretty well.
    It had some truly spectacular moments, I remember the finale to the Chapter where the government thought they could start bombing the Zombies towards the end of the series and all the bombings did was spread the hoard out instead of actual damage, I was listening while driving home from seeing my son in the hospital when he was first born and that moment was so damn surreal and frightening.  If you haven't checked out the first spinoff Lockdown I think it was subtitled, check that out it was great and only like 10 episodes at most if I remember right, they've been teasing Goldfish for a year or more now so hopefully that comes out soon.

The guy that created We're Alive was attached to Bronzeville which came out last year and was really good too.  I think it was 10 episodes but it packed some heavy hitters in the VO department including Lawrence Fishburne and Wood Harris, set in Chicago in a previous decade but I can't remember which, Bronzeville was a part of South Chicago (?) that was a thriving black community and about some political shenanigans with white racism and a lottery system.  Seson 2 will be hitting this year.