The Ritual

MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
edited February 10 in Movies
This premiered on Netflix yesterday. I got a chance to check it out. Really pretty solid version of a familiar story - a bit like the Descent meets The Village meets The Witch maybe?  I was impressed with the design of all the horror elements. Anyone else get a chance to pick it up?

Comments

• MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    edited February 11
    Oh and it features Thomas from Downton Abbey. Took me a long time of thinking who the hell is this guy to get it since he's not a smug jerk. Nor is he in a tuxedo in this film.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    My husband watched that and talked a lot about how the actor who plays Thomas played such a different character. He also mentioned that they changed some stuff from the book that sounded like they were trying to make more drama for the TV show.
    MoonMan13
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    I'd be interested in hearing about the book. Especially how the 'creature' is described compared to the film. I've never seen anything quite like it. Certainly not disappointing like the Cloverfield monsters.
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I liked it. It didn't break the mold on the horror genre or anything. We've seen this type of horror film before but I thought it was well executed and kept me on the edge of my seat.
    MoonMan13
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    I am really disappointed. As a horror aficionado, I had high hopes for this one. Yet all in all I found it way too tropey. The creature was the only stand-out.
  • The village was unnecessary. If they wanted to add that plot, then it should have been a wicker man type of situation. A more realistic and willing cult is scarier.
    Would have preferred a bipedal monster. Classic wendigo.
  • MoonMan13 said:
    I'd be interested in hearing about the book. Especially how the 'creature' is described compared to the film. I've never seen anything quite like it. Certainly not disappointing like the Cloverfield monsters.
    The creature is fairly accurate compared with the book.

The movie, overall, is pretty close to the book, but there are a few key differences.  The main one being the "cult" is completely different than what is in the book.

I prefer the book, but I read it before I saw the movie.  In both, I think the best parts of the story happen in the first two-thirds.