2018 Winter Olympics

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
I thought I’d make a thread for the PyeoungChang 2018 Winter Olympics.

fyi, curling is on right now!

I love how Mr. T got hooked on curling and is professing his love for the sport on Twitter lately.

Also fist bump to A.Ron on LWJ&A for saying curling and figure skating were his 2 fav Winter Olympic events.  Same.

My favorite winter Olympic sports:

1. Figure skating
2. Curling
3. Ski jumping
4. Luge

least favs - speed skating and biathalon 

ChinaskiFrakkin T

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    the woman's snowboarding today was dope AF

on a name dropping note.. an Australian skeleton racer who was a member of the Australian Olympic team in 2010 and 2014 is on my softball team. she's turbo rad!

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    ^my wife kept asking if I saw the creepy NK cheerleaders! Said they looked like something out of Handmaid's Tale.   

Props to Norwegian Ski Jump dude for most impressive facial hair so far this Olympics!

Jovial_Falcon

• least favs - speed skating and biathalon 

Ha! Speed skating is my favorite.
    But I'm Dutch -  we win all the gold medals in that sport.
  • Hockey, Hockey and Hockey.
    DoubleA_RonTaraC73
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 13
    Chloe Kim taking no prisoners on the halfpipe, good stuff.

• Chloe Kim was so fun to watch.  All of those ladies regardless of how well they did during their run seemed to be so happy and just having fun with all of it.  Chloe Kim is going to be a big name in the snowboard business for a very long time.
  • Russia, banned for cheating, by one an otherwise very corrupt IOC.

I'm hoping there is an 'Eddie the Eagle' type athlete at these Olympics. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    My country is currently flipping it's shit over Elise Christie in the short track speed skating. Poor woman was DQ'd in all three of her events last time in Sochi and she crashed out of the 500m final this morning, she was absolutely devastated!
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited February 13

least favs - speed skating and biathalon 

Ha! Speed skating is my favorite.
    But I'm Dutch -  we win all the gold medals in that sport.
    Except when we (Canada) beat you :)

Edit:  I just noticed that Canada dominates in short track and Holland wins all of the long track events.
  • tom_g said:
    Russia, banned for cheating, by one an otherwise very corrupt IOC.

I'm hoping there is an 'Eddie the Eagle' type athlete at these Olympics. 
    Jamaican and Nigerian bobsled teams!
  • edited February 14
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 17
    This German guy just did his free skate routine to a Game of Thrones score, and he has a Jaime Lannister hand! And Johnny Weir called Tara Lipinski "Cersei." Lol

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited February 17
    When did they add the ghost mode to the Super G runs? Is that new for this year? Coolest thing ever to see exactly when a run goes wrong or to demonstrate the brilliance of a previous run. 
    MrX
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Oh man Australia guy is skating to Shine on you crazy diamond! Love it. Where are my rollin papers!? 
    MrX
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 17
    When did they add the ghost mode to the Super G runs? Is that new for this year? Coolest thing ever to see exactly when a run goes wrong or to demonstrate the brilliance of a previous run. 

Speaking of the Super-G, this is nuts; 

https://deadspin.com/czech-snowboarder-borrows-mikaela-shiffrins-skis-someh-1823095253

Czech Snowboarder Borrows Mikaela Shiffrin's Skis, Somehow Wins Super-G Gold
  • Women's hockey, f-yea USA!

There was some pretty sweet shootout deke action

Flukes
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    MrX said:
    Women's hockey, f-yea USA!

There was some pretty sweet shootout deke action

Amazing game!  The US were the better team and deserved the win.

I do wish they'd drop shootouts from international hockey though. It's a team game and I like to see games ended with hockey plays.
    MrXDoubleA_Ronhypergenesb
  • Flukes said:

I do wish they'd drop shootouts from international hockey though. It's a team game and I like to see games ended with hockey plays.
    What, you mean you’re not OK with an Olympic gold medal being decided by a skills competition?

Well, now that’s just a silly opinion....  /s
    Flukes
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Maybe it's because I haven't grown up with it and rarely see it here in the UK, but I can't get in to ice hockey because I literally CANNOT SEE the puck on the screen! It also has the fast paced nature that I can't keep track of, kind of the same end to end problem that I have with basketball.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 23
    amyja89 said:
    Maybe it's because I haven't grown up with it and rarely see it here in the UK, but I can't get in to ice hockey because I literally CANNOT SEE the puck on the screen! It also has the fast paced nature that I can't keep track of, kind of the same end to end problem that I have with basketball.

In the 90's Fox used special effects to highlight the puck on their TV broadcasts. Not a terrible idea in concept, maybe ... but everyone hated it.

• When did they add the ghost mode to the Super G runs? Is that new for this year? Coolest thing ever to see exactly when a run goes wrong or to demonstrate the brilliance of a previous run. 
    I think the "Ghost mode" has been around for quite a while. I recall seeing something very similar as far back as the Los Angeles Summer Olympics. It could be that they have improved the technology so that they can do it faster and more frequently. Also, most of what we are seeing is not truly live, so I think with the various delays they are playing with, they can do more overlaid athletes. 
  • Really sad to see the olympics come to an end... was really digging watching obscure sports I didn't know existed or never get to see. Examples:
    1) Team luge (who knew luge relays were a thing?)
    2) Mass start speed skating (though the point system needs to be revisited to make that more interesting and don't get me started on the uniforms)
    3) Biathlon relay (lead changes were nuts!)
    4) Short track relay (organized chaos) 

• edited February 26
    Very proud of the U.S. in terms of the Olympics, it's always fun to watch.  Specifically my home state of Minnesota's representation in the Olympics.  The curling team that surprisingly took gold are mainly Minnesotans, a good part of the womans hockey team are Minnesotans, and I loved seeing Jessie Diggins the cross country skier who is also Minnesotan.  I absolutely love the Olympics and I am always amazed at how good these people are at their respective sports.  Very sad to see it done but I've had enough tear jerking moments and reactions to people, regardless of what country they are from, winning medals.

My award of craziest athletes in the Olympics are skeleton racers.  Luge isn't quite crazy enough for me let's try doing 80+ mph headfirst instead... I enjoy adrenaline rushes but those guys and gals are nuts.
  • MrX said:

Speaking of the Super-G, this is nuts; 

https://deadspin.com/czech-snowboarder-borrows-mikaela-shiffrins-skis-someh-1823095253

Czech Snowboarder Borrows Mikaela Shiffrin's Skis, Somehow Wins Super-G Gold
    She won gold in snowboard parallel giant slalom too - NBC said she was the first athlete to win gold in 2 different sports in the same olympics since 1896 IIRC.

Such a cool story. I do feel a little bad for the people who devoted their lives to downhill skiing though  :D

On an unrelated note, what did people think of the women's halfpipe skier who skied for Hungary, even though she's an American and had previously tried to get in as a luger (or skeleton?) for Venezuela, and couldn't actually do anything except ski down the halfpipe with 0 tricks? 

• MrXMrX CO
    edited February 26
    Very proud of the U.S. in terms of the Olympics, it's always fun to watch.  Specifically my home state of Minnesota's representation in the Olympics.  The curling team that surprisingly took gold are mainly Minnesotans, a good part of the womans hockey team are Minnesotans, and I loved seeing Jessie Diggins the cross country skier who is also Minnesotan.  I absolutely love the Olympics and I am always amazed at how good these people are at their respective sports.  Very sad to see it done but I've had enough tear jerking moments and reactions to people, regardless of what country they are from, winning medals.

My award of craziest athletes in the Olympics are skeleton racers.  Luge isn't quite crazy enough for me let's try doing 80+ mph headfirst instead... I enjoy adrenaline rushes but those guys and gals are nuts.
    The Diggins finish to the relay may have been my favorite moment of these Olympics. So f-ing awesome.

I think downhill skiers are the craziest winter athletes. I've topped out at about 50 mph on a ski slope and  that was a super wide steep trail without having to make any sharp turns or jumps and felt like if I made one wrong move I was gonna die.

Those crazy mofos going 70-80+ mph down a basically ice slope with uneven terrain right on the edge of control is just nuts, and the core and leg strength it takes to do it for 1-2 minutes is incredible. There are way more bad injuries w/ downhill too than luge/skeleton.