The Dungeons & Dragons, Roll Playing Game, Critical Role & Other RPG Podcast/Twitch Stream Thread!

D&D has been mentioned a few times in different threads and more recently a conversation popped up about Adventure Zone and Critical Role, so I figured that there might be a demand to have a thread dedicated to all of our nerdy needs :)

Comments

• I grew up playing D&D.  I started off playing AD&D around 1985, then switched to 2nd Edition AD&D around 1990 or so and my friends and I played that for about 10 years.  I bought the 3rd Edition books when they first came out, but we barely played it - most of us were working full time, getting married etc life just got in the way.  I missed 4th Edition entirely, but about 6 months ago I reconnected with my old group of friends and we've started playing D&D again, now playing the 5th Edition - which I love!  We're spread out all over the place so we can't meet up and play in person, we use a virtual table top called Roll 20 and a communications app called Discord to connect to each other.  It's worked out great so far and we've played for 4 hours or so every Sunday night for the last six months.

If there's interest, maybe we could look at forming an online Bald Move D&D campaign?
    MurderbearTravisNoobieDoozFlukes
  • I have a surprising amount of D&D knowledge despite only playing once. BM campaign sounds interesting. 
    CretanBull
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I have a surprising amount of D&D knowledge despite only playing once. BM campaign sounds interesting. 
    5th Edition is very user friendly to new players.  The driving force behind the newest edition was getting rid of all of the esoteric rules (they had rules for every little thing back in the day!) and replace it with a simple system that can be applied to all situations - the barrier to entry has never been better for new players!
  • Fortunately 5th edition is the only edition I’m familiar with. 
  • It would be cool to find a way to get a game going with other baldmovers online. 
  • I’ve done online games over Discord and Google Hangouts, it’s mostly about proper scheduling. 
  • Online games work well.  There's a couple of hosting services (both free to use!) - a website called Roll20 and an app called Fantasy Grounds.  Both of them are 'virtual table tops' - basically a shared screen that everyone who's logged in can see, the DM can place maps, give hand-outs to players, character sheets are native to the services, dice rolling is (or can be) automated etc.  and for voice chat everyone can talk to each other on an app called Discord.  My group has been running for 6 months using Roll20 and Discord, tech issues have popped up but they've been rare.

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    That would be awesome!

If you're looking for a slightly less serious D&D podcast, I'll recommend Not Another D&D podcast. It just started last week so only one episode but it's pretty damn funny. It's four College Humor alums (Murph, Caldwell Tanner, Jake from Jake and Amir and Emily Axford) playing D&D and I think they won't be strict on the rules ala The Adventure Zone.

Murph, Caldwell and Emily have a podcast called 8bit book club that I would also recommend. Most episodes they are reading old video game books. A lot of choose your own adventure books and some adaptations. They are reading a Gex book and it is fucking hilarious. If you decide to duplicate your toe in, I'd say try either a Sonic, Mario or Zelda choose your own adventure. They are great!
    Rose
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited February 14
    If the group was small (3-4 players would be ideal) I'd be willing to DM.  Maybe start off doing a 'one-shot' and if everyone has fun, likes it etc it could evolve into an ongoing campaign?

As far as availability goes, my weekends are shot.  I'd be limited to Monday-Thursday, maybe around 7pm to 11pm? (I'm in Toronto, so that would be Eastern Standard Time!)

• I’m down. 
    CretanBull
  • I'd be interested in following along if possible. Probably don't have the time to properly play (plus I never have)... but I think it would be interesting. Is it possible to 'watch' along on roll20?
  • daveh said:
    I'd be interested in following along if possible. Probably don't have the time to properly play (plus I never have)... but I think it would be interesting. Is it possible to 'watch' along on roll20?
    Yup, it's possible - you'd just have to log on to Roll20 and join our Discord channel...mute your mic and listen along.  Having said that, why not jump in and give it a try?  I understand if time is an issue, but to begin with we'll probably start out with a single session.  If you're curious about playing, this is probably a good opportunity!  I don't expect this to be a hard-core gaming session, more like a fun dungeon romp - a little lighter on story and more action based.  I'd more than welcome new players!
    voodoorat
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm in for a one-shot! I've never done this before (only played IRL) and I'm curious about the online dynamic. 
    CretanBull
  • It sounds very interesting, although I have never played. I am in Europe so the different time zones might make it hard for me to participate, plus I would probably be too shy at first, haha. :blush: But it would be awesome to be able to at least watch a session some time! 
  • It sounds very interesting, although I have never played. I am in Europe so the different time zones might make it hard for me to participate, plus I would probably be too shy at first, haha. :blush: But it would be awesome to be able to at least watch a session some time! 
    I think there's 6 hours between us, so our suggested 7pm start time would be 1 am for you :(
  • JaimieT said:
    I'm in for a one-shot! I've never done this before (only played IRL) and I'm curious about the online dynamic. 
    Cool, you're in!

JaimieT
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I’m down. 
    Cool, you're in!
    edited February 14
    Times/availability pending our group so far would be:
    1 @Alkaid13
    2 @JaimieT
    3 @Hatorian ?
    5 @Daveh - maybe?
    6 @Murderbear - maybe?
    7 @SandyWest79 - I assume the time zone difference would be an issue, but if you could make it work you'd be welcome to join

I'd like to keep the groups smaller, but if there's more interest I'd be OK with forming multiple groups and running the same adventure for each.  If there was drop-off ie if some people can only commit for a one-shot but not a full campaign we could merge the groups.
    JaimieT
  • I'd suggest that we pick a week where we'd be available 2 days.  On the first day - say a Monday night - do something called a 'zero session' where we just hop on Discord, go over the basics and everyone make their characters together.  I'd give you guys a bit of background on the adventure and then walk everyone through the character creation process.  Then a couple days later - maybe a Wednesday or Thursday - we could get together and play.  During the days off in between you could each take some time to familiarize yourselves with you characters, ask me any questions that you might have etc.  And it would give me a couple of days to set up Roll20, input your characters etc.

I can set up a drop box where you can grab everything that you'll need to make your character - we can discuss this further on Discord...in short, if you don't have any D&D books - don't worry about it :)
    I think there's 6 hours between us, so our suggested 7pm start time would be 1 am for you :(
    @CretanBull  Not necessarily a problem, depending on what day it would be. :) I work part time currently.

How long are the sessions and how often? If it is a couple of hours like once a week, I might be able to make it work, just as long as it's on a Wednesday or Thursday...  :) And provided it's okay with a beginner, I wouldn't want to be an annoying beginner if everyone are "pros"... :smiley:
    I gots the books!

I'm available any weeknight at this point. Bring it on. 
    CretanBull
    @CretanBull  Not necessarily a problem, depending on what day it would be. :) I work part time currently.

How long are the sessions and how often? If it is a couple of hours like once a week, I might be able to make it work, just as long as it's on a Wednesday or Thursday...  :) And provided it's okay with a beginner, I wouldn't want to be an annoying beginner if everyone are "pros"... :smiley:
    My availability would be Monday-Thursday, 7pm-11pm or so.  Sessions usually take 3-4 hours, but it can be hard to predict - player decisions play a huge role in how things unfold.  I would start by designing something that was pretty direct and straight forward...no grand adventures with multiple layers of intrigue while we're all just getting our feet wet!  It would be more a long the lines of "Goblins have been threatening some local farmers, its your job to hunt down the goblins and put an end to their raids".  If we stuck with it, we could really develop our characters, establish backgrounds for them, set short and long term goals etc. For a one-shot adventure though, especially with new players, it would be very basic and introductory.

• Times/availability pending our group so far would be:
    5 @Daveh - maybe?

I'd keep me at a not likely. Weekdays are not great (I get up stupid early for work) plus I've got a new born who currently usurps any free time I do have. 

I'm interested to start playing. I just think I'll have to wait for a) weekends and b) the little one to be a not-so-little one. 

I'm still going to follow this.
    CretanBull
  • daveh said:
    Times/availability pending our group so far would be:
    5 @Daveh - maybe?

I'd keep me at a not likely. Weekdays are not great (I get up stupid early for work) plus I've got a new born who currently usurps any free time I do have. 

I'm interested to start playing. I just think I'll have to wait for a) weekends and b) the little one to be a not-so-little one. 

I'm still going to follow this.
    Unfortunately Fridays and Saturdays are girlfriend time for me because we don't get a chance to see much of each other during the week, and then on Sundays I play with my regular group.  You'll be more than welcome to follow a long though, and if things change you can jump in if you'd like :)
  • I would like to learn to play eventually, but like @daveh said, work and a baby are time consuming. I'll be a lurker for the foreseeable future, but this is a great idea!
    davehCretanBull
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Mondays are really my only truly free night these days. I'm playing in three bands right now so I've got practices Tue, Wed and Thursday. So if it by chance ends up being that night, count me in!

Even though I've listened to a few D&D podcasts and I love RPGs and video games of that ilk, I've never actually played D&D either. Always wanted to play so this would be a great opportunity!
    CretanBull
  • Monday works for me...maybe we could get together on Discord this coming Monday (the 19th), talk, go over a few things and I can walk everyone through character creation and then we could play the following Monday (the 26th)?
    MurderbearJaimieT
  • Here's an introductory video for new players.  Don't be overwhelmed :)

Murderbeardaveh
    But Colville is so overwhelming in general! ;) 
    CretanBullFlukes
    edited February 14
    JaimieT said:
    But Colville is so overwhelming in general! ;) 
    Haha!  True, I was hoping my 'don't be overwhelmed' warning would put people at ease haha!  He's great though.  He launched a Kickstarter a few days ago, he's selling a book to fund the production of a studio so that he can stream his sessions.  He was trying to raise $50...when I kicked in he was already at $80k.....now he's at $1 million.
    JaimieT