Ryan Murphy reportedly signs deal with NetFlix...

Rumors are that the deal could reach $300 Million

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/business/media/netflix-ryan-murphy.html

For fans of his current series, they look to be staying put. 
Michelle

Comments

• Ryan Murphy be like

KingKobraMichelle
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    This is really great news.  I'm a big fan of his work, and wasn't ever super happy about the majority of his shows that I like being on FX.  And I think this will also allow him to stretch his wings and expand his body work even further.  Well done.
  • Michelle said:
    This is really great news.  I'm a big fan of his work, and wasn't ever super happy about the majority of his shows that I like being on FX.  And I think this will also allow him to stretch his wings and expand his body work even further.  Well done.

I'm curious why you weren't a fan of them being on FX? From what I've heard FX is a good network in terms of giving showrunners creative freedom.
  • edited February 14
    Coming soon to Netflix:

-Glee: University

-American Crime Story: Hollywood vs. Online Streaming

-American Horror Story S8: Eat

-American Horror Story S9: Pray

-American Horror Story S10: Love
    Michellepicorock80akritenbrinkElisa
    MrX said:
    Michelle said:

I'm curious why you weren't a fan of them being on FX? From what I've heard FX is a good network in terms of giving showrunners creative freedom.
    Mainly because when I try to stream the channel through my Roku or phone, I have to sign in through my cable provider, who doesn’t recognize the TV-MALV rating.  It’s just a pain.  Being able to stream on Netflix is just much more user friendly.
  • Michelle said:
    MrX said:
    Michelle said:

Mainly because when I try to stream the channel through my Roku or phone, I have to sign in through my cable provider, who doesn’t recognize the TV-MALV rating.  It’s just a pain.  Being able to stream on Netflix is just much more user friendly.
    Unfortunately his “popular” shows aren’t following him to NetFlix (per the article). Of course if you don’t watch them live, they usually end up there. 
    KingKobra said:
    Michelle said:
    MrX said:
    Michelle said:

Unfortunately his “popular” shows aren’t following him to NetFlix (per the article). Of course if you don’t watch them live, they usually end up there. 
    I do watch them live, but I enjoy streaming them later for rewatches.  I’m just glad his new shows will be easier to stream.
  • Michelle said:
    MrX said:
    Michelle said:

Ah gotcha, yea a lot of the individual cable channel streaming apps are a pain, seems like I always have to log in again and again.
    Michelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Can you stream it from an app provided by your cable company, @Michelle ?
    Like I have Comcast and we can use the Xfinity app to watch TV shows and DVR stuff. 
    Michelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I wonder how many more of these deals Netflix has to do before it becomes just another cable channel. Not that I am complaining; I am not a huge fan of Ryan Murphy, but overall they make pretty good choices, and I am more of a TV person anyway. But they are focusing way in on original TV content, and the flix part of netflix doesn't really even seem to be a thing any more. My husband still gets the DVDs and they've never really put much into trying to move more of the movies to streaming, so there are still tons on DVD that you can't get on streaming. I don't really have a complaint here, just musing haha
    Elisa
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Netflix is 2nd only to HBO in streaming offerings...

They are worried about becoming 3rd now that Disney is opting out of their licensing contract with Netflix... And also bought Fox, (and could presumably toss in ESPN to juice the streaming offer).

Netflix realizes that they are way behind OWNING content relative to HBO and Disney, but still have a fighting chance to make something new and relevant. 
    KingKobra
  • As @Ajas pointed out, the IP is what they are after.  Owning the content is something very important (can’t be pulled) I believe they said they are spending $8Billion this year on content, so this is just a drop in the bucket. 
    Can you stream it from an app provided by your cable company, @Michelle ?
    Like I have Comcast and we can use the Xfinity app to watch TV shows and DVR stuff. 
    Honestly, I didn't think about that.  Suddenlink2Go is now being added to my phone and I'm saving a link in my bookmarks on my pc.  Thanks Angie!
    akritenbrink