Daily Fantasy Sports Anybody?

Hi. I play a lot of daily NBA or MLB, depending on what's running at usually Yahoo, but a little bit at Draft Kings and was wondering if anybody else did this. Maybe exchange tips and perspectives if anyone else does this. I have a lot of fun with it (I only play $1 games, nothing crazy), but sometimes I get my head a little too deep in specific match-ups and miss big on different angles. Anyways, anyone else play? 

Comments

• We used to have a big thread about this but I stopped playing when the bots and algorithms came. 
    Travis
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 2018
    We used to share lineups each week. Here was just one post from way back.

http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/1006/week-5-daily-fantasy-sports

Not to toot my own horn but I’ve always been pretty good at fantasy Football. Thus my 2 league championships in the BM leagues. ;). I consistently would always place in the money slots with fan duel back in the day but at some point that changed and I would never ever win. I literally went from like $50-$100 winnings a week to $0.

Didn’t take Long to find out and start reading about how something like 80% of the winnings were being won by like 1% of players. Usually either by people cheating with inside information(ex. Fan duel/draft king employees giving their friends information on lineup statistics and probabilities) or with the unlimited entries people would drop like 50 rosters setting them up to at least win something or by using alogorithms and software that gave them huge advantages and I stopped. 

It wasn’t just me either, I had a few friends that would consistently win and it also just stopped for them. 

I know FD and DK and tried to crack down but there’s not much they can do. Personal recommendation is to stay away from daily fantasy. 
    Travishisdudeness915
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited February 2018
    NBA and MLB might not be as corrupt as Football since the games are played daily. Which allows less time for analysis against existing rosters. With Football since it’s only once a week it gave cheaters more time to identify potential statistically anomalies. Like by Saturday most peoples lineups would be set so an insider could identify the Statistics of rostering and set their roster against that so they were basically like playing the house and playing against the field. Also with the software they use if there was a last minute inactive or injury the software would change that player out for them giving them a huge benefit over people who didn’t have that ability to change out the player before the rosters were locked and set. 
  • This is all really interesting, @Hatorian. You know, I was winning a lot more frequently a couple of years ago and actually stopped for a year or so because even though I thought I was doing pretty decent dilligence, basically the same amount as when I was winning with at least somewhat decent frequency (still ultimately coming up a little red, but now feeling like I was perpetually at a super cold blackjack table). I've had a decent couple of weeks (as to say that I put in like $15 and am sitting at $11 right now), but I have been wondering why it's so much harder than it was. Why the necessary scores to place seem so much higher. I just figured that people collectively were getting better at it, but that makes a lot of sense. Frustrating.

I've never tried a running league before. My buddy said I should hop in his NBA one next season and I think I'll give it a go. Mostly, I've grown accustomed to looking at stuff day to day and I have a bad feeling that I'll be "the sucker at the table" for the draft. I feel your pain @akritenbrink. I never got paid for the last small March Madness bracket that I won. Granted it was a small pool and only going to be like $50 (at a time when $50 was a little more disposable) and because other people were "disappearing" I let a couple of people off the hook, but that's why you put the money in an envelope at the beginning. Lame.