The Man with no name trilogy

I just got finished watching the last two. I had seen the first one a few years back, and it soured me on it, because I saw Walter Hill’s “Last Man Standing” and that is a shot for shot remake of a fistful of dollars. But I came back to “for a few dollars more” and “The Good, the bad and the ugly.” And yeah, I know why these films are in such high esteem. Leone is a hell of a filmmaker; His characters are flat and one-noted, but his camerawork is second to none, and I was surprised how effective the shootouts were. He manages to get right on the edge of building to a climax in each gun battle, I got tense watching them, esp. in for a few dollars more. It’s almost too many cuts to extreme close ups of faces, but just before I’ve had enough and the tension breaks, BAM BAM BAM. And I’m happy again. A hell of a trilogy and I’m so glad I watched them.
CretanBull

Comments

• Amazing aren't they, the ultra-parodied ending of Good, bad & ugly is fucking powerfull when it's had the two hour epic build up to it, love the whole trilogy.
  • They're great movies, love them!
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited February 19
    Isn’t fist a remake of a Kurosawa movie? Yojimbo I think.

when I was a kid I was watching Good Bad on TV. At the end my dad passed thru the room at the shoot out in the graveyard. When the guns came out or didn’t my dad started laughing so hard. I don’t think I ever saw him laugh like that. It was crazy for him to go off like that. I’ll always remember that laugh.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    edited February 19
    TGTBTU is easily one of my favorite movies of all time that I have watched countless times. Eli Wallach just destroyed  that performance. 'when you have to shoot, shoot. don't talk..'

• Which is likely a film version of Dashiell Hammet's Red Harvestwhich was made into Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis in the 1990s.  

kingbee67 said:
    Isn’t fist a remake of a Kurosawa movie? Yojimbo I think.