Babylon Berlin

Anyone else watching? Through 5 episodes this interwar, Weimar Republic set, German made Netflix show is doing a lot of stuff right.  I'm eager to find out where it's going (perhaps a mite slow developing).

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I am watching and really enjoying it. It’s a political murder mystery with a cabaret and decadence twist. So far I have watched 4 episodes and no one appears what they seem. 
  • Wait. This is a Netflix show? Where I live HBO has it - they also have lots of Hulu and Amazon shows since we don't have those services available in my country. But we do have Netflix. Weird.
    Anyway, this has been on my to-watch list for months, but have not yet managed to get to it. I'm a sucker for anything 20's. I'll try to check it out really soon before this thread dies, ha.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Netflix in the US. I think it was on Sky in the UK. ARD in Germany and HBO other countries. 
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I am interested in this but is it subtitled? Unfortunately subtitles and crochet (which I usually do when watching TV) don't go well together. :D 
  • You could watch it dubbed, but it has much more gravitas in German.
    Elisaakritenbrink
  • I can't express with words how much I hate dubbing. I think it should be illegal. Except for maybe children's shows/movies because they can't read. It just takes away so much from the original. I could go into a rant, but I choose to restrain myself, lol.
    Elisa
    Yeah. I can't deal with dubbing. Unfortunately that means I rarely watch some of the cool international stuff on netflix. Maybe I need to learn how to crochet without looking haha
  • edited February 22
    @akritenbrink There's still another option for you. Learn German :p
    Elisaakritenbrink
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited February 22
    There’s actually a joke/plot point about German verb conjugation. Whatever “Crowning the Subjunctive” is. 
    Reni said:
    @akritenbrink There's still another option for you. Learn German :p
    That won't help me with all the Nordic and Spanish stuff I want to watch though haha
    bazjenster
  • I greatly enjoyed this series. I am a sucker for historic dramas, and the cinematography and acting on this show were superb. That said, I was bothered by the finale:

SPOILERS BELOW:

The doctor was his brother? The gold was the wagons themselves? Those two things were completely unnecessary and raised far more questions than necessary for the sake of a cheap shock.