Heat commission

seanrayseanray Texas
edited February 22 in Movies
 I just want to thank Freddie C. For commissioning one of my all time favorite films. What a treat to hear J&A’s thoughts on the film, and thanks Jim and A-Ron for the podcast!

(If there is already a thread for Heat, please delete.)
FreddySteven_SKingKobravoodoorat

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited February 23
    Can't believe Jim never saw this previously! It's definitely one of my favorites from the 90s, and like ARon was blown away when I saw it on a big HD screen with good srround sound for the first time (previously had just seen it on VHS and dvd on old tvs).

An aside: I almost spit out my coffee when @A_Ron_Hubbard said "Jamie Lee Foxx" when mentioning Collateral (6:30 into the podcast). Also "the Australian guy who fights around the world" when trying to remember Russell Crowe's name ... lol!
    KingKobraksa1001
  • @MrX I did the same thing you did when he combined Kurt Russell’s name and his characters name in “Big Trouble in Little China” of Jack Burton, he called him Jack Russell.
    MrX
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited February 23
    sean.ray said:
    @MrX I did the same thing you did when he combined Kurt Russell’s name and his characters name in “Big Trouble in Little China” of Jack Burton, he called him Jack Russell.
    He also called Pacino for De Niro at least once when discussing character arcs.

Fun Fact: I commissioned Big Trouble as well.

Funner Fact: I don't even like Heat or Big Trouble in Little China. I just make it a point to commission podcasts that lend themselves to A. Ronisms. A cast that's half Asian names and half white names? Check. A cast that's chocked full of funny sounding names, including two of the most recognizable Italian names dominating said cast? Don't mind if I do.
    JaimieTMrXA_Ron_HubbardhypergenesbFlashGordon
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @Freddy with the Freddying again. The legend Freddy. 
    hypergenesb
  • Oh that’s right! He did say “Freddy C” at the beginning of BtilC podcast
  • Freddy said:
    sean.ray said:
    @MrX I did the same thing you did when he combined Kurt Russell’s name and his characters name in “Big Trouble in Little China” of Jack Burton, he called him Jack Russell.
    He also called Pacino for De Niro at least once when discussing character arcs.

Fun Fact: I commissioned Big Trouble as well.

Funner Fact: I don't even like Heat or Big Trouble in Little China. I just make it a point to commission podcasts that lend themselves to A. Ronisms. A cast that's half Asian names and half white names? Check. A cast that's chocked full of funny sounding names, including two of the most recognizable Italian names dominating said cast? Don't mind if I do.

You're a diabolical genius, @Freddy
  • Addressing Freddy C’s challenge of naming a movie with a larger or as large group of actors ranging from great to Hank Azaria, how about True Romance? Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, James Gandolfini, Brad Pitt, Samuel L Jackson, Chris Penn, Michael Rapaport, Paul Ben Victor, Eric Allan Kramer, and Michael Corrigan. It even has Tom Sizemore and Val Kilmer. Why has no one commissioned True Romance yet? 
    Freddy
  • Speaking of Michael Mann, I’ve read reports he’s developing a biopic of an important year in the life of Enzo Ferrari after a horrible car accident shakes up motor standards, starring Hugh Jackman. Really hoping it gets off the ground
  • When Neil spots Charlene at the motel, was he following her because Chris showed up sleeping on his floor? Or is that a coincidence he saw her with Alan?
  • Here’s the other fucked up thing about Tom Sizemore’s character, he is a father, has a young daughter, and to be able to pick up a young girl about the same age as his own child and use her as a human shield. God damn that’s cold!
    Addressing Freddy C’s challenge of naming a movie with a larger or as large group of actors ranging from great to Hank Azaria, how about True Romance? Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, James Gandolfini, Brad Pitt, Samuel L Jackson, Chris Penn, Michael Rapaport, Paul Ben Victor, Eric Allan Kramer, and Michael Corrigan. It even has Tom Sizemore and Val Kilmer. Why has no one commissioned True Romance yet? 
    You mean to tell me the obnoxious gay stereotype from the Beverly Hills Cop series is a notable character in a Tarintino classic!?
    edited February 25
    sean.ray said:
    When Neil spots Charlene at the motel, was he following her because Chris showed up sleeping on his floor? Or is that a coincidence he saw her with Alan?
    No coincidence at all. He saw that Chris was in denial about his wife cheating on him, so he decided to find out for sure. If Chris had said "I don't know" when Neil asked if she had anything on the side, the scene probably wouldn't have happened.
    seanray
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    As far as the family angle, I got the impression that Pacinos wife was supposed to be the female side of the “don’t get attached to something you won’t leave in 30 seconds” mantra. Is it ok to mention just why Natalie Portman is so troubled? Could it be the lack of a solid relationship with a father figure? Is it ok to infer her mother may be a little selfish? Because in honesty I see Pacino’s character doing an admirable job of trying to bond with a girl who’s not even his and he’s clearly providing for his family’s physical needs as far as safety shelter and food, and the complaints his wife argues with him about in the movie are fully unreasonable, you can’t reasonably expect a police detective home at 5 when there’s been a triple homicide conducted in a hundred million dollar robbery at 3pm on Wilshire. I get the feeling this wife had up and left from multiple relationships for spurious reasons before and that’s why Portman is so troubled, this has terrible effects on children’s development 
    Freddy
    @emnofseattle Some of my favorite scenes are Pacino's home life. If I had to guess, I would imagine that the wife was the type who dated around and bought a lot of new boyfriends around after her divorce. I see it all the time. Friends, family, employees, etc. Men and women, just bringing the new love interest around the kid like bringing home a new pet. Not only is it shitty to the kid, but it's shitty to the new GF/BF. Can't tell you how many people I know that their biggest problem with the breakup was that they don't get to be a part of the kids life anymore. Even worse when the actual other parent is a piece of shit, and they have to live with knowing that they can't do anything about it.
  • Can't believe the incredible soundtrack to Heat was not mentioned. A Michael Mann trademark. Something for everyone. Also thought J & A missed the mark on mentioning several other amazing Michael Mann films that have more relevance to Heat, like the classic "Manhunter," the fantastic heist flick "Thief" (also one of the best soundtracks out there, by Tangerine Dream.) Or even Public Enemies w/ Christian Bale and Johnny Depp.
  • seanrayseanray Texas
    edited March 25
    Best line from the podcast-
    “Al Pacino starts hauling ass Tom Cruise style.”
    Freddy
    edited March 25
    sean.ray said:
    "Short people make running look intense. Tall people make running look effortless." -Old Generically Proportioned Person Proverb
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Freddy said:
    sean.ray said:
    "Short people make running look intense. Tall people make running look effortless." -Old Generically Proportioned Person Proverb
    And tall fat people make running look inadvisable.