Suggestions: comedy series to watch with your partner.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve got a small window regarding television your parter and you watch together.

The stuff we both like is the comedy,  for her it needs to be uplifting or at least have a positive message and non complicated. For me it has to be smart and definitely without a laugh track. Obviously as a bald move member I have a larger window of interest, but this is where our circles converge.

Our best pics for this genre.

Catastrophe
One mississippi
Better things
Last man on earth - funnier than I expected.
Love
Fleabag
Master of none
Girls

I’m sure I’ve left out some good ones. I’m hoping for some good suggestions. All of the shows listed above We’ve really liked so I highly recommend or at least really enjoyed watching. Girls is actually probably the only one that I really enjoyed watching, yet feel uncomfortable saying I highly recommend it.

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited February 25
    Not sure how accessible these are in the US, but - 

Crashing - the UK one with Phoebe Waller-Bridge, not the US one. Group of 20-somethings living in an abandoned hospital. 

Lovesick, which is a UK sitcom about a guy who finds he has an STD and has to tell all his exes. It’s MUCH better than it sounds, and quite sweet.

Uncle, about a man child musician and his anxiety-ridden nephew. 

Notacult
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Curb your Enthusiasm
    Brooklyn 99
    NotacultFlukes
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Oh! Oh! Do you get Australian sitcoms there? If so, look for Upper Middle Bogan, which is about a posh doctor who finds out she was adopted and her bio family are, well, not posh. Also Rosehaven, about a guy who moves from Melbourne back to a small town in Tasmania to manage his mum’s real estate agency when she has to have back surgery. It’s one of those “everyone in the village is quirky” kind of things. 
  • The Good Place for sure!
    MurderbearTravisNotacultNoel
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Anyone have comedy series suggestions to watch with your cat?
    MurderbearNotacultGredalBee
  • aberry89 said:

Bojack Horseman? Princess Caroline is probably the best feline character currently on tv.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited February 25
    Heartily second the rec for The Good Place. It fits both of your requirements and is one of the best shows on the air. It may seem like a happy, bright sitcom in the beginning but give it time, and it reveals itself to be much, much more.

I also enjoy Brooklyn 99 and Superstore: enjoyable, smart workplace comedies with inclusive casts that occasionally touch on serious topics.

Because you like Fleabag, try The End of the F***king World, another British import. It is similarly dark, subversive, hilarious and touching with really well-done narration.

Because you like Better Things and Master of None, give Atlanta and Insecure a shot.
    Notacult
    aberry89 said:
    My cat enjoys reality TV and sports more than anything, honestly.
  • Parks and Recreation and another vote for the Good Place. When you described what she likes out of a comedy, you basically described what makes Parks so special (and The Good Place following in its footsteps). With that part satisfied, you've got great writing (I mean amazing writing), really rich characters that wouldn't work at all in lesser hands from both a performance and writing standpoint. The show is hilarious, has heart out the wazoo, and it's brilliantly executed. Parks and Rec is the best comedy of all time. It should be warned that it took a bit to find its footing, but hang with it until around the half way point of season 2. Season 2 in general is pretty good (Hunting Season is a top 5 episode for instance), but once Adam Scott and Rob Lowe arrive it's all over.

One that may be worth a look if you're on Netflix and looking for something a little less conventional is Derek. It's a British comedy starring Ricky Gervais and it has that sort of awkward humor, but has a ton of heart to it as well. It also has a lot of poignant moments and actually gets pretty sad at times, but it's a great watch. I'm not typically a huge Gervais guy, but he's fantastic in it.

See also, Community, the Goldbergs, Brooklyn 99, Cougar Town (it can be a little hit and miss, but it's a lot of fun. It's a terrible title and they abandoned making "that show" very quickly and proceeded to make fun of the concept, and by extension themselves, moving forward), Better off Ted, and Angie Tribecca (if you're into the sort of Airplane, Naked Gun style of humor).
    bizmarkiefaderShumNotacult
  • AlexAlex Seattle
    This is all from a male point of view but I've watched these shows with girlfriends and they seem to have enjoyed. 

The New Girl (funnier than advertised), Party Down, Happy Endings, Insecure, Garfunkel and Oats, Atlanta, Flight of the Conchords.

If all else fails there is always the US version of The Office or The Simpsons.
    Notacult
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited February 26
    Travis said:
    Parks and Recreation and another vote for the Good Place. When you described what she likes out of a comedy, you basically described what makes Parks so special (and The Good Place following in its footsteps). With that part satisfied, you've got great writing (I mean amazing writing), really rich characters that wouldn't work at all in lesser hands from both a performance and writing standpoint. The show is hilarious, has heart out the wazoo, and it's brilliantly executed. Parks and Rec is the best comedy of all time. It should be warned that it took a bit to find its footing, but hang with it until around the half way point of season 2. Season 2 in general is pretty good (Hunting Season is a top 5 episode for instance), but once Adam Scott and Rob Lowe arrive it's all over.

One that may be worth a look if you're on Netflix and looking for something a little less conventional is Derek. It's a British comedy starring Ricky Gervais and it has that sort of awkward humor, but has a ton of heart to it as well. It also has a lot of poignant moments and actually gets pretty sad at times, but it's a great watch. I'm not typically a huge Gervais guy, but he's fantastic in it.

See also, Community, the Goldbergs, Brooklyn 99, Cougar Town (it can be a little hit and miss, but it's a lot of fun. It's a terrible title and they abandoned making "that show" very quickly and proceeded to make fun of the concept, and by extension themselves, moving forward), Better off Ted, and Angie Tribecca (if you're into the sort of Airplane, Naked Gun style of humor).

Oh yea definitely - if you haven't seen Parks and Recreation make that your #1 priority! I always end up getting hooked on random reruns on FXX, and am considering doing a full rewatch on Netflix sometime.

If we're talking older shows, and somehow you haven't seen Futurama, it's one of the best comedies IMO that is uplifting, heartfelt, and invests you in the characters. That's one of the shows that my wife and I always watched together, and we're in a kindof similar situation as you.
    TravisNotacult
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Alex said:
    This is all from a male point of view but I've watched these shows with girlfriends and they seem to have enjoyed. 

The New Girl (funnier than advertised), Party Down, Happy Endings, Insecure, Garfunkel and Oats, Atlanta, Flight of the Conchords.

If all else fails there is always the US version of The Office or The Simpsons.
    I miss Happy Endings. Very under-rated show. 
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Parks and Rec is my all time second favorite show. My wife and I have been through the series three or four times and we still love it.

It's heartfelt, sweet, and immensely funny.
    MrXNotacultTravis
  •  Wow! this is great! I will add I have seen Atlanta and love it. Also, flight of the concords and the good place. If you like flight of the concords and havent seen the movie “what we do in the shadows” stop what you’re doing and watch it right now! I’m not sure why I’ve never seen parks and rec we watched a few episodes today i think We could dig in to this. We also watched two episodes of uncle and it definitely has some charm. New to bald move really digging this community so far. Cheers everyone 
    DeeTravis
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    What We Do in the Shadows is one of my favorite movies.

I'm going to contradict myself on Parks & Rec for a moment, because I feel like it should be said. The first season is very short, and was trying to be a lot like The Office.

It's still important to watch, but the charm of the show kicks into gear in the second season and takes off from there.
    TravisNotacult
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited February 27
    What We Do in the Shadows is one of my favorite movies.

I'm going to contradict myself on Parks & Rec for a moment, because I feel like it should be said. The first season is very short, and was trying to be a lot like The Office.

It's still important to watch, but the charm of the show kicks into gear in the second season and takes off from there.
    Yeah, cosign about season 1 of Parks. It's literally (Chris Trager reference only slightly intended) my favorite show, but when I first watched it I bailed after about 3 episodes with the same complaint about it seemingly trying to be "a new 'The Office'." The last episode of season 1 (only 6 episodes long) is good and it moves forward nicely from there, but if it starts to feel a little "meh" in the early going just know that it will improve rapidly and really hit its stride in the middle of season 2. All that said, I'm really glad you gave it a shot and it's going well, @Notacult. Cheers. man!
    MattyWeavesNotacult
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    aberry89 said:
    Justified. Specifically, scenes in which Boyd Crowder is walking.
    Travis
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    FX has some amazing comedies right now. Atlanta and Better Things have been mentioned, but I’d also like to add You’re The Worst. It’s about a relationship so that adds another wrinkle. I’d also recommend Veep if either of you are even slightly into politics.
    Travis
  • Noel said:
    FX has some amazing comedies right now. Atlanta and Better Things have been mentioned, but I’d also like to add You’re The Worst. It’s about a relationship so that adds another wrinkle. I’d also recommend Veep if either of you are even slightly into politics.
    Not sure if I'd call You're the Worst uplifting though...
    NoelDee
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    MrX said:
    Noel said:
    Oh man, I missed that part of the original post. Well damn...at least it makes you realize your relationship isn’t as fucked up as theirs?
    TravisMrX
  • For what it's worth, I'm big on the "uplifting comedy" thing in general and I really enjoyed the first couple of seasons of You're the Worst. They kind of lost me in (I think it was) season 3(?) when it just started to feel a little too over the top, but even then I feel like it was more of a casualty of there being too much good stuff to watch and an effort to watch a little less TV overall than to say that I stopped enjoying it.
  • Noel said:
    MrX said:
    Noel said:
    Oh man, I missed that part of the original post. Well damn...at least it makes you realize your relationship isn’t as fucked up as theirs?
    I do think it fits in with some of the others he listed as enjoying though; Catastrophe, Fleabag, etc...
    TravisNotacultNoel
    Glow! on Netflix!
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Grace and Frankie
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    edited February 28
    Notacult said:
    The stuff we both like is the comedy,  for her it needs to be uplifting or at least have a positive message and non complicated. For me it has to be smart and definitely without a laugh track.
    First two seasons of iZombie are perfect zomcom but may be a little too dark for what you want.  The first season of The Tick (the new one on Amazon) is hilarious but may be too dark as well.  Maybe try a couple episodes of each, see what you think.