S08-E09 Honor

2»

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited February 2018
    Michelle said:
    Yeah they showed his hand near his holstered flashlight-silenced gun when Rick was at his side. Then when Rick and Michonne were on the front porch you heard the silenced gun shot.
    Wait. So they didn't actually SHOW it? So Robert Kirkman's "that one character might not actually be dead" thing is still feasible??

Edit: Nevermind. I'm sure if it was ambiguous you all would have mentioned that.
    We didn't need to see it happen to know that it did.  We heard the shot, we saw Rick and Michonne in gut-wrenching grief, and then we saw them bury him.   I think Kirkman was just talking to hear himself talk or to try to generate some hype around this event, which is just (IMO) wrong, given that it was a teenage character's death.
    Edit: never mind. 
  • kingbee67 said:
    @KingKobra I’m just saying that they seem too take the show too seriously. I’m not gonna take the bait and get the “feels” because Carl got bumped to boost ratings.
    It’s been that way since the beginning, were you expecting something new? Of course they take the show seriously its for fans that take the show seriously. It’s not supposed to be some independent show. There is no “bait” there are fans who are probably upset, this does not include you (obviously). 
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    edited February 2018
    Oh my god, I totally lost it when Jim and A.Ron thought Bright Eyes was Chandler Riggs singing.

"Carl stick with your day job"  :D :D :D
    ken hale
  • So 3 people at varying angles cannot see a child standing behind Tapioca pudding guy? Everyone on this show should die because apparently they are all blind and cannot hear. 
    kids and zombies (and on at least some occasions, horses) are situationally invisible in twd-land.
    hisdudeness915
  • voodoorat said:
    i didn't hate it.  was morgan the only sniper or did they all forget that they were carrying sniper rifles instead of binoculars and just watch the saviors slowly implement their escape plan without, you know, sniping or anything?
    I thought the same thing. What's the point of having snipers if they don't actually do any sniping?

Also, since when does automatic fire into a group of zombies stop them from moving? You mean to tell me those were all head shots? The whole thing was so walking dead. Which is to say was totally expected. 
    Pangs
  • Wonder if get the email of the week 
  • Speaking of email of the week, they are just picking 1 email? 
    Michelle
  • I thought the scenes in the sewer and the church were good but the choice to do hard cuts to Morgan in the middle of those scenes was terrible and completely took me out of the moment. 
    We’ll probably never know the real reason why they decided to kill Carl at this point was but I will never accept that it was “for the story” because the timing does not make any sense and it seems like a last minute decision. 
    Steven Yeun was told of Glenn’s death two years before it happened but they told Chandler two weeks before filming? 
    If anything, that just shows how lazy the writing has gotten. They just needed something big for the midsession finale and premiere so they killed the future of the show lol. 
  • So funny when the random dude interrupted the live cast.
    Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    gguenot said:
    So funny when the random dude interrupted the live cast.
    Totally!  @A_Ron_Hubbard and @Jim, you guys need  'LIVE - ON THE AIR' and 'DO NOT DISTURB' signs to hang on your door when you're recording.  :)    But then we wouldn't get to witness random door-to-door office supplies salesmen pitching you, so... 
    gguenot
  • Impressive[ly bad writing that] Morgan can go from not killing anyone at the Sanctuary to Clear mode at the Kingdom in one episode.  Or maybe there's some gentleman's agreement to not kill Saviors/Negan around the Sanctuary?

I think Rick and Co could have attacked the Saviors much sooner; I didn't know they had sharpened staffs which a 10yo boy could push through a man.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited February 2018
    How good was that stamp?  That dude was really selling it. 

Sounded top-notch. 
  • gguenot said:
    lol, does the studio door just open out to the street? I would assume there are at least a couple of doors between the recording area and whatever the front door to the main office is (if not more). Guess that guy was just wondering around inside until he found an interior office with somebody in it? 

Best part was when Aron didn't really remember what his thought was before the interruption, but decided it didn't matter and could just go with "but enough about that..."
    Dummy
  • redlancer said:
    gguenot said:
    lol, does the studio door just open out to the street? I would assume there are at least a couple of doors between the recording area and whatever the front door to the main office is (if not more). Guess that guy was just wondering around inside until he found an interior office with somebody in it? 

Best part was when Aron didn't really remember what his thought was before the interruption, but decided it didn't matter and could just go with "but enough about that..."
    Haha yea, they recently uploaded a tour of their office so the dude literally had to walk through an empty room and I assume and walk into another room where they were recording. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited February 2018
    We synced up the laptop to speaker while watching, so thanks again BM for doing the live watch.  I need to rewatch the “drama 101 tackle” a little closer now.  

I liked how Jim had the most genuine live repulsive reaction to Bright Eyes Conor Oberst.

Also on the live recording I have to say the beard is looking good, A.Ron. We need an update on the beard journey.  
  • It sounds like they're going to attempt to do with Judith what they were supposed to do with Carl.  With the possibility of all of the show's leads not returning pretty soon, we could see a substantial time jump after this season or next with a whole new cast of characters and a pre-teen/teenage Judith as the lead.  
  • Man that episode felt longer than it was. I thought halfway through ok they will close it out now only for it to drag on and on.
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Man, I loves me a good hate-cast. The only cure for incessant Morgalizing is a liberal application of Dramatic Arony.

So...thing is, Jim makes the point that we're seeing the same "now ain't then and things have changed and we ain't them and they ain't us and then ain't now" circular point making on the show, which I think peaked with Herschel and hasn't been all that give a shittable since.

It reminds me of Rich Evans' point about Star Wars over at Red Letter: the universe may SEEM big, but as a practical matter, Star Wars will always have to be about precocious students of the Force banding together with a group of Rebel scu-...uh...underdogs to defeat an evil armada that's headed by a fallen hero who is later redeemed.

It's always going to be some variation of Jedis, Siths and Skywalker family drama no matter how many cyberpunk side characters you try to do. If you're not deep in that story, you have to be supporting it (Rogue One.)

For whatever reason, I think Walking Dead has fallen into this trap. Even though, ironically, their world would be rapidly evolving. Five years down the road, the hordes are long gone and the world is rebuildable with the complication that even relatively peaceful deaths are now major emergency situations.

Watching Coral rise in that world could be interesting. Every season we could be further down that road, instead of re-hashing the Governator constantly.

So...is Walking Dead in an Evans trap? A seemingly large and open world that has to keep delivering the same well-worn tropes because they think that will sell?

I say no...the reason Star Wars is in that trap is because it's basically successful. Movies may underperform, but they're still massive draws. With falling ratings, Walking Dead has every reason to bust up the premise.

What I'm saying is that Rick needs to move to the North Pole and start delivering presents to all the kids. Santa Rick. It could happen. Or a whole season of musical episodes. Get Ryan Murphy in there. Something.
    Also "Guy Ferrari" is now officially my gamer handle.
    TaraC73
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited March 2018
    With falling ratings, Walking Dead has every reason to bust up the premise.

I think they're going to. At this point AMC must be counting on or at least considering strongly that all the original and current leads will be out in the next 0-2 seasons.

I think they've already laid the groundwork for this in an easily forgotten 3-second scene that popped up last season: the helicopter that flew over Rick came and went out of nowhere and probably has no business flying around 5-ish years into the apocalypse unless it's part of a much larger story-arc being tossed around behind the scenes.

Natter Cast
  • redlancer said:
    gguenot said:

I used to work in an office suite in a building full of unrelated businesses in various suites. We had so many walk-ins trying to sell us shit. In theory you were supposed to sign in and say who you were seeing, but I dunno is the security was just useless or if people just lied. 
    When you've just watched Honor and you wonder what would have become of Carl had he lived.

So...a guy tries his best to balance the need to survive with the preservation of humanity, loses his son when the boy sacrifices himself to save others...then grows a long white beard as he intones that his mercy must exceed his wrath?

I mean, I knew that Rick had a God complex when he declared the Ricktatorship, but that's still a bit on the nose.
  • Hatorian said:
    cant believe no thread created for this. Really shows the interest level is at an all time Low. Usually there would be at least 50 comments by now. 

I actually thought it was a good episode. Probably the best of season 8. Spending 8 years with Rick and Carl it was a bit hard not to get a little misty eyed. 

I do also like how the old man Rick visions were actually Carl’s and make sense now. Decent twist. Overall one of the better episodes we had in the past even with the ridiculous gun fight at the kingdom. 
    It's only a decent twist if the audience still gives a durn, once it's revealed. 

When it makes you yell, "oh hell no!" in disgust, out loud at your tv, it's not good writing.