TACOS!!

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
what's your go to tacos? corn or flower? soft or hard shell? simple like street tacos or the works (crema, guac, cheese)? untraditional (i.e pulled pork with slaw). THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!!

taco side note.. i wanna visit San Antonio and do business with a Puffy Taco!
cdriveTravis

Comments

• cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 1
    My "go to" taco is Taco El Trompo!   TROMPOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     (sorry I get excited about those blessed little beauties.)

ChinaskigguenotNoelTravis
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cdrive said:
    My go to is Taco El Trompo!   TROMPOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     (sorry I get excited about those blessed little beauties.)

oh my! that looks glorious :o
    cdriveTravis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Carne, black beans, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, lime...  *yum*
    ChinaskicdriveDeeTravis
    i always go avocado instead of guac if possible. in both my tacos and burritos. most places for some reason tend to screw guac up. should just be avocados, a little bit of lime, salt and pepper! chipolte's guac game is trash, way too cilantro and lime heavy.. losers.
    cdriveDeeMichelleTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    My bog standard Monday night taco is pretty trashy - minced beef and either kidney or black beans flavoured with a salt free taco seasoning I buy on iHerb. We have them with crunchy corn shells and salsa, sour cream, grated cheese and shredded lettuce, also avo if it’s in season. 

If I’m feeling fancy or feeding people other than just Lily and myself, I marinate a chunk of beef in a marinade I stole from Tyler Florence’s fajita recipe, then cook it in a really low oven for 6 or 7 hours until it’s soft and shreddable. Not at all legit but I live on the other side of the world from Mexico, so don’t judge me! 
    cdriveChinaskiMichelleTravis
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited March 1
    Where I live the Mexican market chain, Northgate has great marinated meat. Tortillas that are made in the store. I just cook it and add fresh made pico and that’s it, perfect taco.
    cdriveMichelleTravis
  • Always corn. Flour tortillas arnt tacos, it's basically a flauta not yet rolled up lol. Nah, but you can have whatever you like
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited March 1
    Chinaski said:
    what's your go to tacos? corn or flower? soft or hard shell? simple like street tacos or the works (crema, guac, cheese)? untraditional (i.e pulled pork with slaw). THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!!

taco side note.. i wanna visit San Antonio and do business with a Puffy Taco!
    Flower, soft.

meats depend on my mood, but I will admit I love the cheep bar fish tacos. It seems every bar in my area makes fish tacos with fried fish, slaw and aeoli. 

Or The shredded beef with pico from Taco Del Mar.

i almost never order tacos from nicer restaurants, if I go there or to a food truck I usually order something else, so I have a limited experience with Tacos 

I once when I had several days of leftovers made teriyaki beef, white rice, and sriracha tacos, but that was my own thing because I had tortillas against expiration date and lots of teriyaki beef in the fridge 
    ChinaskiMichelle
    I once when I had several days of leftovers made teriyaki beef, white rice, and sriracha tacos, but that was my own thing because I had tortillas against expiration date and lots of teriyaki beef in the fridge 
    i’ve done that before!! with pickled thinly sliced cucumbers n daikon. 
    who knows about breakfast tacos? i’m going to Austin in a few weeks and apparently breakfast tacos are a ‘thing’ there. assuming it’s like a breakfast burrito but not a burrito.. 
    Michellecdrive
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    If I am making them at home I do Corn hard shell and flour soft, and my son and I put hard inside soft that way when/if corn breaks all the fillings are contained. I put out beef, shredded cheese, guac, sour cream, lettuce and sliced hots. Mmmmmm I’m so hungry.
    ChinaskicdriveMichelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    There is an episode about tacos on that new Netflix show Ugly Delicious. It was really good. 
    Michelle
  • edited March 2
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    uhhh @akritenbrink - did you not see my OP? i wanna dance with a Puffy Taco! if not San Antonio then perhaps Omaha!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 2
    Barbacoa with onion, cilantro, and cabbage. Here's the kicker: on flour.

I know, it's sacrilegious to some purists out there, but I'll take a great flour tortilla over the best corn tortilla any day of the week.

I also love a traditional (he-he) American crispy beef taco. Seasoned ground beef with lettuce, tomato, and shredded cheese. Fast food wise, Texas Dairy Queens pretty much do them the best.

Just remember, it has to be a Texas Dairy Queen. They have different menus outside of the Texas. That's right, bitch ass Kuwait. No tacos for you.

cdriveChinaskiTravis
  • I'm a big fan of just your standard al pastor street taco. 

A baja-style fish taco on flour tortilla with all the fixings is damn good if done right.

I also like others have a soft spot for your standard American style beef crunchy taco. Key is the construction: cheese on the bottom creates a melty barrier so the shell doesn't get soggy.
    ChinaskiMichelleFreddyTravis
    Chinaski said:
    who knows about breakfast tacos? i’m going to Austin in a few weeks and apparently breakfast tacos are a ‘thing’ there. assuming it’s like a breakfast burrito but not a burrito.. 
    DEATH TO FALSE BREFFUS TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay here's the thing....you think the Houston-Dallas rivalry is bad....San Antonio hhhhaaaaaaaaates Austin for acting like they invented the breakfast taco.  Whenever you do your serious puffy taco hunting (that sounds wrong) in San Antonio, you should def be on the search for legit Tone City breakfast tacos.

So 2 years ago Austin-Eater published this article about Austin being the birthplace of the breakfast taco, and pretty much all of Texas collectively lost their shit:  https://austin.eater.com/2016/2/19/11060078/breakfast-taco-austin-history Tons of back and forth articles battling it out.  Twitter storms, etc.  The upheaval was similar to the Portland burrito cart women who bragged about cultural appropriation.  

It's like when Torchy's tacos from Austin came to H-Town and we were all "get that fake Austin bulllsh*t outta here."  We get hangry about tacos.  I don't know if Dallas ever jumps into the fray, but certainly San Antonio, Houston, and small towns in the Rio Grande Valley get heated up.  Austin gets lots of tourism as the self-professed Music Capital of The World "Keepin it Weird", so they get a lot of national attention like "Omigawwd, lets go to South Byyyy and eat those amazing Austin breakfast tacohhs, home of the breakfast tacohhh..."

So I'd stay away from TacoDeli or Torchy's.  Although I have to concede The Wrangler and Democrat at Torchy's are pretty good.  Places like Mi Madre's or Casa Maria are a good start.  I want remember right that Casa Maria's was the Panaderia I randomly poked my head into one Austin trip and they had bomb tacos.  No wait I think it was this place http://la-mexicana-bakery.com/Breakfast-Menu-2.html Also Polvos. Polvos has traditionally been my favorite sit-down breakfast dive when in Austin.  I miss the days of $3.99 migas there. Now it's $9.  

ChinaskiFreddyTravis
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    DEATH TO FALSE BREFFUS TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay here's the thing....you think the Houston-Dallas rivalry is bad....San Antonio hhhhaaaaaaaaates Austin for acting like they invented the breakfast taco.  Whenever you do your serious puffy taco hunting (that sounds wrong) in San Antonio, you should def be on the search for legit Tone City breakfast tacos.

So 2 years ago Austin-Eater published this article about Austin being the birthplace of the breakfast taco, and pretty much all of Texas collectively lost their shit:  https://austin.eater.com/2016/2/19/11060078/breakfast-taco-austin-history Tons of back and forth articles battling it out.  Twitter storms, etc.  The upheaval was similar to the Portland burrito cart women who bragged about cultural appropriation.  

It's like when Torchy's tacos from Austin came to H-Town and we were all "get that fake Austin bulllsh*t outta here."  We get hangry about tacos.  I don't know if Dallas ever jumps into the fray, but certainly San Antonio, Houston, and small towns in the Rio Grande Valley get heated up.  Austin gets lots of tourism as the self-professed Music Capital of The World "Keepin it Weird", so they get a lot of national attention like "Omigawwd, lets go to South Byyyy and eat those amazing Austin breakfast tacohhs, home of the breakfast tacohhh..."

So I'd stay away from TacoDeli or Torchy's.  Although I have to concede The Wrangler and Democrat at Torchy's are pretty good.  Places like Mi Madre's or Casa Maria are a good start.  I want remember right that Casa Maria's was the Panaderia I randomly poked my head into one Austin trip and they had bomb tacos.  No wait I think it was this place http://la-mexicana-bakery.com/Breakfast-Menu-2.html Also Polvos. Polvos has traditionally been my favorite sit-down breakfast dive when in Austin.  I miss the days of $3.99 migas there. Now it's $9.  

haha thanks for the good knowledge. man, i am going to talk sooooooo much shit now about their breakfast tacos when i'm there! cause well.. that's what i do.
    cdriveTravis
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @Chinaski You got the "sooooooo much shit" part right. Get those 3 week old gas station eggs in you, and see what comes out. Look down and prepare to say "well gollee... everything really is bigger in Texas."
    Travis
    edited March 2
    Edit
    Freddy said:
    Barbacoa with onion, cilantro, and cabbage. Here's the kicker: on flour.

I know, it's sacrilegious to some purists out there, but I'll take a great flour tortilla over the best corn tortilla any day of the week.

I also love a traditional (he-he) American crispy beef taco. Seasoned ground beef with lettuce, tomato, and shredded cheese. Fast food wise, Texas Dairy Queens pretty much do them the best.

Just remember, it has to be a Texas Dairy Queen. They have different menus outside of the Texas. That's right, bitch ass Kuwait. No tacos for you.

I’ve noticed in California that Burger King sells Tacos as well, I’ve never seen a Burger King Taco outside of California but Cali is the only Southwest State I visit regularly, maybe they have them in TX too
    I’ve noticed in California that Burger King sells Tacos as well, I’ve never seen a Burger King Taco outside of California but Cali is the only Southwest State I visit regularly, maybe they have them in TX too
    guilty! they're basically the McDowell's version of Jack in the Box tacos.
    Freddy
    Omg, Jack in the Box tacos.  Extra cheese, easy sauce... I don't want to say how many I've eaten in my time.  But it's a lot.
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Omg, Jack in the Box tacos.  Extra cheese, easy sauce... I don't want to say how many I've eaten in my time.  But it's a lot.
    haha when i was in highschool they were 3 for 99 cents! between those, jtheir potato wedges and mad dog 20/20, i'm sure that shaved a few years off my life.
    Michelle
    Oh man I ate so many late night jack in the box tacos back in the day. No Ragrets! 
    ChinaskiMichelleNoel
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    haha when i was in highschool they were 3 for 99 cents! between those, jtheir potato wedges and mad dog 20/20, i'm sure that shaved a few years off my life.
    It sounds like your weekends were like the weekends my friends and I had!  Except I didn't drink Mad Dog 20/20 - it was more like wine coolers.  :grin:
    Chinaski
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    It sounds like your weekends were like the weekends my friends and I had!  Except I didn't drink Mad Dog 20/20 - it was more like wine coolers.  :grin:
    B&J's!!

when it was beer it was Mickey's 40's and big mouths  <shiver>.
    Michelle
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I've eaten a few Jack in the Box tacos in my day. They conveniently come in that little envelope thingy so you can eat them in the car haha.
    yeah i don't think you're suppose to take them out of that little envelope thingy. some things they just don't want you to see.