TACOS!!

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 2018
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Omg, Jack in the Box tacos.  Extra cheese, easy sauce... I don't want to say how many I've eaten in my time.  But it's a lot.
    haha when i was in highschool they were 3 for 99 cents! between those, jtheir potato wedges and mad dog 20/20, i'm sure that shaved a few years off my life.
    It sounds like your weekends were like the weekends my friends and I had!  Except I didn't drink Mad Dog 20/20 - it was more like wine coolers.  :grin:
    B&J's!!

when it was beer it was Mickey's 40's and big mouths  <shiver>.
    Totally!  We had a lot of fun trying to drunkenly decipher the Mickey’s big mouth puzzles that were in their caps.  :)  Like this one:

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Omg, Jack in the Box tacos.  Extra cheese, easy sauce... I don't want to say how many I've eaten in my time.  But it's a lot.
    haha when i was in highschool they were 3 for 99 cents! between those, jtheir potato wedges and mad dog 20/20, i'm sure that shaved a few years off my life.
    It sounds like your weekends were like the weekends my friends and I had!  Except I didn't drink Mad Dog 20/20 - it was more like wine coolers.  :grin:
    B&J's!!

Totally!  We had a lot of fun trying to drunkenly decipher the Mickey’s big mouth puzzles that were in their caps.  :)
    the puzzle under the cap for me was this beer called "Lucky Lager'.. 11 oz choad bottles from Lucky's. wake up in the morning with all these bottle caps in my pocket and slowly remember the night as i looked at these silly puzzles.
    Michelle
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Good god, and I thought I turned the sandwich thread dark. Start calling you Chinasti.
    ChinaskiMichelle
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:
    Michelle said:
    B&J's!!

Totally!  We had a lot of fun trying to drunkenly decipher the Mickey’s big mouth puzzles that were in their caps.  :)
    the puzzle under the cap for me was this beer called "Lucky Lager'.. 11 oz choad bottles from Lucky's. wake up in the morning with all these bottle caps in my pocket and slowly remember the night as i looked at these silly puzzles.
    Yes!  I forgot the Lucky Lager caps too.  Omg, good times.  
    Chinaski
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Chicks dig rockstars FTW
    ChinaskiMichelle
    edited March 2018
    My local dive bar's offering:

MichellecdriveChinaski
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I was just in Mexico a week ago and to this day, the best taco experiences I will ever have is the guy who is at the little stand a couple of blocks from my grandma’s house. There’s just nothing like it.
    MichellecdriveFreddyChinaskiTravis
    @Noel - that’s f’n awesome! you win.. closing thread! i’ll be in your hood (Dallas) at the end of April.. last time i was there i danced the night away with Brisket Tacos, so that will happen again.. 
    NoelTravis
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    who knows about breakfast tacos? i’m going to Austin in a few weeks and apparently breakfast tacos are a ‘thing’ there. assuming it’s like a breakfast burrito but not a burrito.. 
    DEATH TO FALSE BREFFUS TACOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay here's the thing....you think the Houston-Dallas rivalry is bad....San Antonio hhhhaaaaaaaaates Austin for acting like they invented the breakfast taco.  Whenever you do your serious puffy taco hunting (that sounds wrong) in San Antonio, you should def be on the search for legit Tone City breakfast tacos.

So 2 years ago Austin-Eater published this article about Austin being the birthplace of the breakfast taco, and pretty much all of Texas collectively lost their shit:  https://austin.eater.com/2016/2/19/11060078/breakfast-taco-austin-history Tons of back and forth articles battling it out.  Twitter storms, etc.  The upheaval was similar to the Portland burrito cart women who bragged about cultural appropriation.  

It's like when Torchy's tacos from Austin came to H-Town and we were all "get that fake Austin bulllsh*t outta here."  We get hangry about tacos.  I don't know if Dallas ever jumps into the fray, but certainly San Antonio, Houston, and small towns in the Rio Grande Valley get heated up.  Austin gets lots of tourism as the self-professed Music Capital of The World "Keepin it Weird", so they get a lot of national attention like "Omigawwd, lets go to South Byyyy and eat those amazing Austin breakfast tacohhs, home of the breakfast tacohhh..."

So I'd stay away from TacoDeli or Torchy's.  Although I have to concede The Wrangler and Democrat at Torchy's are pretty good.  Places like Mi Madre's or Casa Maria are a good start.  I want remember right that Casa Maria's was the Panaderia I randomly poked my head into one Austin trip and they had bomb tacos.  No wait I think it was this place http://la-mexicana-bakery.com/Breakfast-Menu-2.html Also Polvos. Polvos has traditionally been my favorite sit-down breakfast dive when in Austin.  I miss the days of $3.99 migas there. Now it's $9.  

That story really ground my gears, they didn't "culturally appropriate" they watched a business woman in a market 1000 miles from theirs make a product and tried to replicate it on their own and eventually came up with their own product. that was highly misrepresented. And did anyone actually check to see if those women had no spanish ancestry? because without spanish influence the taco as we know it today didn't exist, I got a chuckle from your cartoon because it shows a guy labeled as "pre columbian" showing off a breakfast taco with yellow cheese and egg, the yellow cheese didn't exist in pre-columbian mexico and the chickens didn't exist in nearly all of latin America, I say nearly because there is some evidence that Aracauna chickens existed in what's now known as Chile, and were used by the Mapuche as a food source, but there's no documented contact between the Mapuche and the Aztecs or Mayans. 

I mean if restaurants from Austin are bragging, puffery is a well known sales pitch, and no cuisine exists in this planet, other then maybe some uncontacted tribe in a rainforest somewhere, that has not had at least some influence from trade and contact by other societies. by this point in human history we are all interconnected enough that I don't think there's any particular dish remaining that's entirely authentic. I mean I was training a fellow driver who was from Punjab India some months ago and he remarked how he liked mexican food because it tastes similar to stuff he ate in India, well that's because Tex-Mex cuisine is heavy on cumin which was of course sold in Mexico by Portugese traders who brought it from India after the colonisation...

Don't want to make a long term debate over that, but I don't see it as a clear cut case of "appropriation" 
    cdriveChinaski
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    cdrive said:
    Oh man I ate so many late night jack in the box tacos back in the day. No Ragrets! 
    Ours in Omaha was Taco Bell. Between the massive amount of drunk driving and Taco Bell consumption I witnessed in Omaha back in the day I am surprised my generation even survived... haha
    When I was in high school I was in Naval JROTC and often stayed with friends from that program late into the night, It was always nice when driving home to pick up two tacos for 99 cents as an after supper snack. I think I alternated between one night getting the tacos and a jumbo jack and the next night a mcdouble from the mcdonalds up the road. 

I personally hate the Consumer Price Index, I measure inflation using Jack in the Box Tacos and Mcdoubles, both used to be a dollar, now they're like 1.79
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 2018
    @emnofseattle yo dude, see how intense people can get about tacos? You just analyzed a stick figure comic strip and the merits of a photoshopped-in taco picture. :) Hey I get it I’m white too and one of my dreams if I say eff it all and avoid greeting people at Costco is to do a trompo truck. And trompo was conceived from Lebanese immigrants in Mexico. Or something I’m probably wrong.  But the cheese came from the Spanish! Tortillas are the pre-Columbian bedrock of a breakfast taco. 
    so i went to Austin in March, then Dallas in April and i hafta be honest with you guys.. i need more Torchy's in my life..
  • It's funny, the topic of "best taco you've ever had" came up with my wife and I last week (long drive sort of game) and the one that jumped straight to mind was at my buddy's house four or so years ago at his birthday party. They had some dudes come in and made a taco bar. To my knowledge I'd never had Al Pastor before and that shit blew my mind. Really simple too. Just meat, some diced onions, avocado, and a little salsa. I've had it quite a few times since and though good it wasn't nearly to the same effect so these dudes were doing something right, but holy shit. Al Pastor is amazing. Where had it been for the 35 or so years previously?
    Chinaski
    Travis said:
    Really simple too. Just meat, some diced onions, avocado, and a little salsa.
    sometimes simplicity goes a long way my friend.
    Travis
  • Chinaski said:
    Travis said:
    Really simple too. Just meat, some diced onions, avocado, and a little salsa.
    sometimes simplicity goes a long way my friend.
    Hear, hear, my man!
    edited May 2018
    Had somes gorditas today at this little spot around the corner. Hadn't had one since my favorite taqueria closed. Good God, those things were amazing. Like, in the rotation once a week amazing. For all of you taco lovers out there that hasn't ever had a real gordita.... Well... Lets just say that country songs have spoke sweet nothings about less.
    I had to get my tacos de trompo on yesterday.  

Cool surprise was this song I heard and I had to brush the dust off the Shazam app and nail down what I was hearing.  

What got my attention happens at 1:39  (also 3:35)    good times singing along with now in the car.  

Chinaski
    The nation’s first Taco Editor works for Texas Monthly and he correctly confirms burritos are actually tacos.  Shots fired, California.  

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/americas-first-taco-editor-says-that-burritos-are-actually-tacos

FreddyChinaski
    edited September 2019
    cdrive said:
    The nation’s first Taco Editor works for Texas Monthly and he correctly confirms burritos are actually tacos.  Shots fired, California.  

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/americas-first-taco-editor-says-that-burritos-are-actually-tacos

So this means enchiladas are also a taco? A taco you eat with a knife and fork? Like how old people eat pizza? It's official: enchiladas are geriatric tacos.
    Chinaski
    i don't care what bucket burritos fall in (could be a hot dog for all i care), i just know they're delicious and put my life in good place.
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:

So this means enchiladas are also a taco? A taco you eat with a knife and fork? Like how old people eat pizza? It's official: enchiladas are geriatric tacos.
    Hey Bebe- wanna eat my soggy taco?
    cdrive said:
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:

i almost googled 'Soggy Taco', but pumped the breaks quickly.
    cdrive
    Chinaski said:
    i don't care what bucket burritos fall in (could be a hot dog for all i care), i just know they're delicious and put my life in good place.
    Can we at least agree burrito is fun to say? 

Boh ree toh 
    ChinaskiMichelle
    cdrive said:
    Chinaski said:
    Can we at least agree burrito is fun to say? 

Boh ree toh 
    no argument there! even puts a little jingle in my head.. 'boh ree toh boh ree toh! the fresh and free toh!'
    cdriveMichelle
    edited September 2019
    Chinaski said:
    Oh, what did I just walk into....  :astonished:

Chinaskicdrive
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I stand with Jim in saying the categorizing of foods as other foods is sorta boring. We all know what enchiladas are, we all know what tacos are, we all know what burritos are. It’s not like some internet conversation is going to change any of that. But maybe that puts me in a “get off my lawn” level of life. 
    cdriveMichelle
    I stand with Jim in saying the categorizing of foods as other foods is sorta boring. We all know what enchiladas are, we all know what tacos are, we all know what burritos are. It’s not like some internet conversation is going to change any of that. But maybe that puts me in a “get off my lawn” level of life. 

Jim sits, first off. Anyone would trade every thing they do to be Taco Editor. Burrito editor? Shhhh no that doesn’t exist. #soggytaco 

Chinaski said:
    cdrive said:
    Freddy said:
    cdrive said:

Honest to God I was just riffing off the enchilada thing but of course geriatric soggy taco is apparently a thing.
  • Trying to pretend I didn't see any of this...

At the taco shop next to my place. A few things I've noticed in light of recent taco related developments. This place has gorditas, tortas, and pombazos. The latter two are definitely sandwiches. Now I would argue that if a pita is a sandwich, so is a gordita since it's basically a corn pita pocket. That's 3 different sandwiches with tons of options, so help me out here: this place is really a sandwich shop that happens to serve tacos?