TACOS!!

13»

Comments

• I was inspired by last night's taco talk and scrounged through our Covid 19 refrigerator - located some soyrizo (vegan chorizo; but with so many spices it tastes the same!) and I made chorizo and eggs.  No green onions to be found, but I had cilantro, baby tomatoes,  some cabbage and even a ripe avocado!  I will admit it was a structural disaster to eat, but it was delicious (kids ate it too) and nice to be annoyed by the mess rather than current events.

Never uploaded a pic here before, so not sure if this will work or not....

Elisa
  • JSDCA said:
    I was inspired by last night's taco talk and scrounged through our Covid 19 refrigerator - located some soyrizo (vegan chorizo; but with so many spices it tastes the same!) and I made chorizo and eggs.  No green onions to be found, but I had cilantro, baby tomatoes,  some cabbage and even a ripe avocado!  I will admit it was a structural disaster to eat, but it was delicious (kids ate it too) and nice to be annoyed by the mess rather than current events.

Never uploaded a pic here before, so not sure if this will work or not....

Guess that didn't work!  Trying again. :) Bear with the newbie please....

cdriveDoubleA_RonChinaskiMichelleElisaDee
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    Next time we get some Mexican take-out (probably this weekend) I’ll have to post some taco pics.  

P.S. @A_Ron_Hubbard : MorningStar crumbles w/ seasoning make for some great homemade tacos!
    Noel
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    you resurrected my taco thread, and included a pic! your avocado game is on point btw! you get a gold star for the second day in a row.
    NoelJSDCAElisaDee
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    OK I live in So Cal and lately I have been going to two places that are a little cuisine-y but have delicious tacos.  Cacao Mexicatessan and Tacocita.  They both have homemade or mde from scratch corn tortillas (you know the thick ones)  Some of my faves:  Chorizo Cauliflower taco (vegan so probably made with soyrizo), Duck Carnitas, Chicken Adobo (Marinated & smoked chicken, black bean puree, pickled red onion, queso mix, cilantro, blackened salsa), Chipotle Ground Turkey (Chipotle turkey, black bean puree, cabbage scallion slaw, queso mix, avocado, crunchy blue corn shell).  Nom nom nom.   o:) 
    ChinaskicdriveJSDCA
  • Elisa said:
    OK I live in So Cal and lately I have been going to two places that are a little cuisine-y but have delicious tacos.  Cacao Mexicatessan and Tacocita.  They both have homemade or mde from scratch corn tortillas (you know the thick ones)  Some of my faves:  Chorizo Cauliflower taco (vegan so probably made with soyrizo), Duck Carnitas, Chicken Adobo (Marinated & smoked chicken, black bean puree, pickled red onion, queso mix, cilantro, blackened salsa), Chipotle Ground Turkey (Chipotle turkey, black bean puree, cabbage scallion slaw, queso mix, avocado, crunchy blue corn shell).  Nom nom nom.   o:) 

Those two places look fantastic! I marked in my Google maps in case I make that far north. LOL.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Cacao is in Eagle Rock. Tacocita in East Pasadena 
    ChinaskiJSDCA
    As promised... from Taco Fiesta in Mission Valley, SD:

ElisaChinaskiNoelJSDCAcdrive

wow dude! everything about that looks soooo good! the cheese and guac to taquitos ratio is on point! what's the filling? shredded chicken?
    DoubleA_Ron
    Chinaski said:

wow dude! everything about that looks soooo good! the cheese and guac to taquitos ratio is on point! what's the filling? shredded chicken?
    Beef, but their chicken rolled tacos are equally devine.
    Chinaski
  • As promised... from Taco Fiesta in Mission Valley, SD:

I can’t believe I’ve never had Taco Fiesta!  There is one only 2 miles from our house. Got to try it ASAP!  We’re hardcore El Zarape fans. I personally love their potato rolled tacos.  I hope they are able to stay open. 
    cdriveChinaskiDoubleA_Ron
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I feel like these boards need some taco love lately.  Behold these 2 beautiful trompo tacos on fresh homemade corn tortillas I ate at my desk today for a late lunch.

Way different taco experience than yesterday:

Me:  I think I want to go pick up a Taco Party pack at Taco Bell....
    Wife: What?! I thought we weren't going to get anything today and finish these leftovers...
    Me: Sorry, babe.  I can't un-hear the Bell....
    ChinaskiNoelDeeJSDCA
    @cdrive- i know you're a fan of national days. today is national taco day! go get your trompo tacos on my dude! you're welcome!
    cdrive
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I see trompo in my near future! Haha
    ChinaskiFreddy
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited October 4
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited October 5
    Best tacos within a block?  Talk about setting the bar low!  :sweat_smile:
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Because I hate corn and because I can't have gluten I was always screwed when it came to taco discussions. And then came these...

Side note: how does someone get deleted/removed in a taco discussion?
    they suggest jicama wraps. :p

kidding of course, those look interesting. do they have the texture of a flour tortilla?
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Chinaski said:
    they suggest jicama wraps. :p

kidding of course, those look interesting. do they have the texture of a flour tortilla?
    The no-flour flour ones were very close to a regular tortilla. I was able to put them over the fire and roast/puff them up. Not sure what the technical term is for that.

The jicama wraps are wet like a jicama. But they are sliced so thin. I put them in a hot pan to dry out/warm up.They still folded nicely. 

And I 100% agree with a fresh avocado over guac. I already add fresh tomato, cilantro, etc. Don't need to risk a bad batch of guac.