Atlanta Season 2 (aka Atlanta Robbin' Season)

edited March 2 in Other TV
Anyone else watched it yet? This first episode was amazing - a bunch of great Darius moments, Florida Man, and the slo-mo alligator reveal were the highlights, as well as that Leftovers-style "something that has nothing to do with the main story, but is thematically relevant to it" cold open. Good to finally have it back.
KingKobraDrew

Comments

• Yes, watched it last night. BTW you may want to mention (Season 2) in title just so people know ;) 

This was one of the best sophomore 1st epsidoes I’ve seen in awhile. It got us caught up, but at the same time didn’t hold our hand. DG really has been stepping it up and the looks he give really hit home. Darius is GREAT, that one friend who is deep into the conspiracy theories. 
    SomeBiscuit
  • Floridaman beats a flamingo to death....

Glad this show is back. Christmas approaches and everybody gotta eat. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 2
    What a great Florida Man "montage!" And loved the knowing nod that Darius gave to Earn when Willy mentioned Florida man later.
  • I can't get over how good this show is. Feels like it's taking a darker turn, which I think is interesting. 
    MrXSomeBiscuitblacksunrise7Mofojones333
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    Donald something to the effect of "we are not ready" for how dark it's going to get this season. 
  • I should add that “the uncle” (guest star) is someone who normally I can’t stand. In this episode, I thought they fit and were great. 
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Did they survive the harsh Georgia winter?
  • I was counting on being able to watch S2 on Hulu, but apparently that's not going to be the case this season. Annoyed...... :#
  • Did they survive the harsh Georgia winter?
    Depends on who “they” are....the streets are rough during robbin season. 
  • ShumShum Utah
    So glad this show is back!
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    The opening felt very The Wire to me but I like The Leftovers comparison too.  So glad this show is back and it feels more like a continuation of season 1 as opposed to a writing team trying their hardest to recapture the essence of season 1.  Starting the show proper pretty much right after the finale ended was a good move IMO.
  • hypergenesb said:

I can't get over how good this show is. Feels like it's taking a darker turn, which I think is interesting. 

I agree. I knw it might take a season to get your legs but this season feels like different show somehow.
  • I’m not sure I’ve seen a sophomore season start off so strong. This season has been firing on all cylinders. 
  • This weeks episode had some really chilling/also-kindof-funny moments... Specifically when the white guy at the movie theater casually shows his gun to Earn without saying anything or even looking at him.
    And then when Clark County had everyone leave the studio so his guy presumably was going to beat down the engineer. 

Oh and Michael Vick doessh up at the end, that was weird.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Just started running through the first season after seeing some clips. I knew I'd like the show, but I didn't think I'd love it. Paper Boi and Darius might go down as a legendary comedy duo.
    MrX
  • I've been laughing all week at the idea of Michael Vick hustling idiots outside of a strip club, racing anybody stupid enough to try him. That man single-handedly won me games in Madden 04. I don't care how many years latter it has been. No jabroni off the street is going to just step up and take his crown. 
    hypergenesbhisdudeness915Murderbear
  • Another excellent, yet uncomfortable episode. This was a departure from our main narrative, but still held my attention throughout. 
    hisdudeness915
  • Guess I’ll try to keep this going, another great epsidoe this week. The hustle is real..It’s amazing that this show can have character focused episodes and not lose a step (a-hem TWD). 
    hisdudeness915
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    I think I need some more Darius in my life. That being said, I love how this show can have such different tones week to week. I mean, last week’s episode was super uncomfortable and had my emotions on a tightrope and then they turn around this week and have me laughing my ass off for the whole 30 mins. 
  • What a great 2-episode stretch, both bottle episodes of sorts and wildly different on time. The German episode was very off-kilter and unsettling, while the Barbershop was fucking hilarious and so tightly written and executed. Brian Tyree Henry (paper boi) can do so much work so few lines of dialogue. The looks he gives at the end when he switches barbers and realizes no one can cut his hair like Bibby = gold.
  • MrX said:
    What a great 2-episode stretch, both bottle episodes of sorts and wildly different on time. The German episode was very off-kilter and unsettling, while the Barbershop was fucking hilarious and so tightly written and executed. Brian Tyree Henry (paper boi) can do so much work so few lines of dialogue. The looks he gives at the end when he switches barbers and realizes no one can cut his hair like Bibby = gold.
    It’s one of the reasons people have such a hard time switching barbers. When you go from “the regular” to what Blade (for length) do you want, it’s unsettlng ;) 
    MrX
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I think I need some more Darius in my life. That being said, I love how this show can have such different tones week to week. I mean, last week’s episode was super uncomfortable and had my emotions on a tightrope and then they turn around this week and have me laughing my ass off for the whole 30 mins. 
    I like every episode I've seen (a little behind on Season 2). They're all good, but Darius is the best character. Paper Boi is a close second. I've shown a few friends who were on the fence Darius and Paper Boi scenes, and they're all like "yep, I'm watching this."
  • This show, just took things to a whole new level. The creep factor was on 11. I am so happy that it was commercial free so as not to break the tension. 
  • Um...what the fuck? I don't even know where to start with this episode. A season and a half in, I thought I had a handle on the different things Atlanta is capable of being, and then they out of nowhere pull out an extended psychological horror piece that's so weird, it makes Darius the sanest man in the room. Like it was nothing. What a show.

Side note: has any single network ever had as good a lineup as the one FX has right now? Legion, The Americans, and Atlanta on successive days, every week? I don't think even HBO has ever managed something that strong.
    KingKobraMurderbear
  • Um...what the fuck? I don't even know where to start with this episode. A season and a half in, I thought I had a handle on the different things Atlanta is capable of being, and then they out of nowhere pull out an extended psychological horror piece that's so weird, it makes Darius the sanest man in the room. Like it was nothing. What a show.

Side note: has any single network ever had as good a lineup as the one FX has right now? Legion, The Americans, and Atlanta on successive days, every week? I don't think even HBO has ever managed something that strong.
    Recency bias will always get us. “Ever” is a very long time and I think some past network, HBO and Showtime schedules would go toe to toe easily. 

This episode was creepy, but had so many little details throughout that it deserves a rewatch (at least one). Props to FX for allowing this to run 3 consecutive times commercial free in a row. Robbing season has taken many forms and this show has excelled at showing the many facets of how people can be robbed. 
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I loved how great Donald was.  Both as Earn and as creepy Teddy.  His Teddy role was Emmy worthy.  As Earn, his laughter at the jokes was just slightly delayed owing to the depression he is experiencing from his recent break-up.  Just phenomenal.
  • Late to the party but goddamn what an episode. So much going on gonna need to rewatch a couple times. Donald Glover is going for it this season. Apparently he stayed in whiteface and character throughout the filming.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/atlanta-donald-glover-whiteface-teddy-perkins-1201949958/

And as far as FX, their current lineup is pretty amazing in terms of quantity/quality. I would also add Trust to the list.

I don't think HBO ever had 4 shows airing at the same time, but if you look at a single year, 2004 HBO very very strong:
    The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Sex and the City (and Entourage but not sure if that helps the case).

• V episodes are just too real. Always love episodes focused on her nights out...
    Murderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Wow. I finally caught back up this weekend. Holy shit that Teddy Perkins episode!! This show is unreal.
  • Whew...that is how you do a nod to Twin Peaks....this season has just elevated this show to a Ho, nuva...lebel.....