Live Fullmetal Alchemist Movie on Netflix

Has anyone seen this?  Most of the reviews I've seen say it's garbage, but I'm still super intrigued as a huge fan of the original because the visuals look SO true to the anime.

After the crime against humanity that was the Dark Tower movie, I'm suuuper anxious about getting my hopes up when adaptations of things I've loved for a long time come out.

Comments

• My brother is a HUGE fan of the anime and he said it was surprisingly well done. I saw it too and have seen bits and pieces of the anime. It’s hard casting an Asian actor for blonde haired German character— but I guess it’s only fair when Asian characters get white-washed so much.

but I didn’t love it, didn’t hate it. 
    Septa Nutella
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I really enjoyed it too. It has its problems, but they nailed a surprising amount of the anime in just 2 hours. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Huh, so this is just like the first half of the series?
    I suppose it would be difficult to do literally the entire thing in one 2 hour movie. 
    It's essentially just how Ed and Al came to be, AMD then the philosophers stone, homunculi, and Shou Tucker plot. Everything is streamlined quite a bit, it's a bit like Lynch's Dune in that I'm not sure how much people who haven't seen the whole anime/manga will make sense of it, but they hit the highpoints. Casting is quite good, especially the homunculi.
    Ok, I guess if they make enough money they’ll do a sequel. 
    I suppose it’s more based on the second anime and not the first?
    No Scar though? That’s a shame. 
    Yeah, that was the biggest change for me.  They drop hints about the civil war/Scar plot through out the movie, maybe if they make a sequel it will be about that.
    Hopefully get a Middle eastern actor to play him, but probably they won’t. 
  • No Scar?  :'(

Do we at least get Major Armstrong?
    Alkaid13 said:
    Hopefully get a Middle eastern actor to play him, but probably they won’t. 
    Yeah, diversity isn't nearly as big a deal in Japan as it is in the States.  Probably because Japan is +98% Japanese last time I looked, which kind of allows them to not even think of it as a deal at all. Although since Scar's storyline was supposed to represent the struggle between the aboriginal Ainu and the Japanese, it would be kind of cool if they could find Ainu actors, if they are to be found.
    If I knew more Japanese actors I’d indulge in some fan casting.