Fast Food shout-outs

2

Comments

  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited March 2018
    Sometimes I just have to have a Schlotzky’s small deluxe original.  It’s a serious thing with me.

    BTW that Wendy’s $1 double stack is trash y’all. Should’ve known better.  The Big Mac Jr however was good.  When I’m on a road trip though, it’s Whataburger. Small town Whataburgers are top notch.  

    Thumbs up on Raising Canes. We’ve had one near the house for about 6 years now. No pretentiousness: chicken fingers, crinkle fries, jugs of tea.  Owner is a Mavs fan though. He tried to offer Dwight Howard free Canes for life to steal him. Because of that I had a short-lived boycott one Canes.  And I can’t boycott Chik Fil A cause their spicy chicken sandwich is so damn good and everyone there is so damn nice! 



    JaimieT
  • I went to Chic Fil A for the first time a couple years ago. It was super crowded, but I thought the food was average at best. In not sure what people see in it. 

    I don't live on the West coast, but I loved In and Out Burger the couple times I've gone. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    who knows about Taco John’s? add that to ‘places that i've heard about that i'd like to try’. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2018
    I went to Chic Fil A for the first time a couple years ago. It was super crowded, but I thought the food was average at best. In not sure what people see in it. 

    I don't live on the West coast, but I loved In and Out Burger the couple times I've gone. 

    Some Chick-Fil-A is better than others. Here are the good ones:

    1. Waffle fries (when not soggy)
    2. Chicken sandwich, regular not deluxe. Extra pickles if you want. Pickles in every bite = joy.
    3. Chicken nuggets with Polynesian dipping sauce. Some people like the "Chick-Fil-A" sauce. The Polynesian is sweet-and-sour and it's amazing.
    4. Their milkshakes. Get the small and you get a creamier one. (The "why" of this is complicated, but trust me, this is how they do the recipe) I'm partial to the cookies and cream milkshake. 
    5. BREAKFAST. The biscuit/chicken sandwich. I like the chicken minis too. In fact I usually get the chicken minis with a buttered biscuit on the side. Their biscuits are simply divine. 


    Shum
  • Chinaski said:
    who knows about Taco John’s? add that to ‘places that i've heard about that i'd like to try’. 
    Taco Johns is amazing.  Their potato oles are to die for.  The trick is to just order potato oles and add them to your taco/burrito vs buying the taco/burrito with them in it.  I had a buddy that worked at one about a mile from my house back in high school and the amount of potato oles I ate during that time is disgusting to even think about.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    cdrive said:
    Sometimes I just have to have a Schlotzky’s small deluxe original.  It’s a serious thing with me.

    BTW that Wendy’s $1 double stack is trash y’all. Should’ve known better.  The Big Mac Jr however was good.  When I’m on a road trip though, it’s Whataburger. Small town Whataburgers are top notch.  

    Thumbs up on Raising Canes. We’ve had one near the house for about 6 years now. No pretentiousness: chicken fingers, crinkle fries, jugs of tea.  Owner is a Mavs fan though. He tried to offer Dwight Howard free Canes for life to steal him. Because of that I had a short-lived boycott one Canes.  And I can’t boycott Chik Fil A cause their spicy chicken sandwich is so damn good and everyone there is so damn nice! 



    1. How the hell do you only have a small sandwich at Schlotzky’s?! I have to go with a medium because they’re SO good. Man, I used to wolf down a large original back in my teenage years and early 20’s. Especially after soccer or basketball practice.

    2. Ditto on small town Whataburger locations. I go down to Waco a few times a year and I always stop at the one in Hillsboro.

    3. I’m so glad the Mavs never signed Dwight Howard.
    cdrive
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    JaimieT said:
    Brieanne said:
    JaimieT said:
    Chinaski said:
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:
    Raising Cane's is very good, but I'm a bigger fan of Whataburger's chicken fingers. Plus Whataburger has gravy for dip. BUT I give Cane's the slight edge on fries. I just never feel like they give me enough...

    I have been known on several occassionally to have Chick-Fil-A for all 3 meals in a single day.

    For a while last year, I did become obsessed with McDonald's after thinking I'd been done with it forever. It's because I had it in Egypt and it was SO GOOD. McDonald's is generally better overseas, I've found. But they put burgers in boxes now... so they're not slimy! Fantastic. They've probably been doing that for years, I just didn't know.
    The bigger burgers have always been in boxes long as I remember, it’s those McDoubles and 99centers in the paper. 

    Ive noticed McDonald’s is slightly better in Canada then the US, not by much, but just enough to notice 

    Quarter pounders were in paper pre-2007, at least.
    I don’t ever remember that. I always remember them being in boxes, of course pre-2008 I wasn’t buying them myself...
    yeah the QPC was my jam for the longest time and i only remember it coming in a box. i'd flip the top and throw my fries in the top half of the box.

    McDonald's also had round bacon for a bit.. that was a dark dark time.

    Even early 2000s?! Oh good grief I'm experiencing the Mandela effect. 
    Have no fear @JaimieT, I worked at McDonald’s my entire high school career (1999-2003) and I can confirm with certainty that QPC were in paper wrappers back then.

    Only burgers that came in a box at the time were Big Mac and Arch Deluxe.

    Yeah you hear that @Chinaski and @emnofseattle? Boom.
    Confirmation from my wife who worked at McDonalds in Nova Scotia circa 2002. Paper wrappers.
    JaimieT
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited March 2018
    JaimieT said:
    I went to Chic Fil A for the first time a couple years ago. It was super crowded, but I thought the food was average at best. In not sure what people see in it. 

    I don't live on the West coast, but I loved In and Out Burger the couple times I've gone. 

    Some Chick-Fil-A is better than others. Here are the good ones:

    1. Waffle fries (when not soggy)
    2. Chicken sandwich, regular not deluxe. Extra pickles if you want. Pickles in every bite = joy.
    3. Chicken nuggets with Polynesian dipping sauce. Some people like the "Chick-Fil-A" sauce. The Polynesian is sweet-and-sour and it's amazing.
    4. Their milkshakes. Get the small and you get a creamier one. (The "why" of this is complicated, but trust me, this is how they do the recipe) I'm partial to the cookies and cream milkshake. 
    5. BREAKFAST. The biscuit/chicken sandwich. I like the chicken minis too. In fact I usually get the chicken minis with a buttered biscuit on the side. Their biscuits are simply divine. 


    Unfortunately there’s no egg on the chicken biscuit. A breakfast without egg is not

     I raise chickens as a kid, and my parents still do so I get the eggs. I refuse to eat a breakfast without eggs. I can honestly say I’ve had eggs for breakfast every day since I was 13. So Chick-fil-A needs to put an egg on that biscuit

    And by decent coffee
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Flukes said:
    JaimieT said:
    Brieanne said:
    JaimieT said:
    Chinaski said:
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:
    Raising Cane's is very good, but I'm a bigger fan of Whataburger's chicken fingers. Plus Whataburger has gravy for dip. BUT I give Cane's the slight edge on fries. I just never feel like they give me enough...

    I have been known on several occassionally to have Chick-Fil-A for all 3 meals in a single day.

    For a while last year, I did become obsessed with McDonald's after thinking I'd been done with it forever. It's because I had it in Egypt and it was SO GOOD. McDonald's is generally better overseas, I've found. But they put burgers in boxes now... so they're not slimy! Fantastic. They've probably been doing that for years, I just didn't know.
    The bigger burgers have always been in boxes long as I remember, it’s those McDoubles and 99centers in the paper. 

    Ive noticed McDonald’s is slightly better in Canada then the US, not by much, but just enough to notice 

    Quarter pounders were in paper pre-2007, at least.
    I don’t ever remember that. I always remember them being in boxes, of course pre-2008 I wasn’t buying them myself...
    yeah the QPC was my jam for the longest time and i only remember it coming in a box. i'd flip the top and throw my fries in the top half of the box.

    McDonald's also had round bacon for a bit.. that was a dark dark time.

    Even early 2000s?! Oh good grief I'm experiencing the Mandela effect. 
    Have no fear @JaimieT, I worked at McDonald’s my entire high school career (1999-2003) and I can confirm with certainty that QPC were in paper wrappers back then.

    Only burgers that came in a box at the time were Big Mac and Arch Deluxe.

    Yeah you hear that @Chinaski and @emnofseattle? Boom.
    Confirmation from my wife who worked at McDonalds in Nova Scotia circa 2002. Paper wrappers.
    Here in Western Washington, they’ve come in a box as long as I can remember. Because I’ve always use the box by opening it and using the top end to make a lake of ketchup which I would get the burger and fries in
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Flukes said:
    JaimieT said:
    Brieanne said:
    JaimieT said:
    Chinaski said:
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:
    Raising Cane's is very good, but I'm a bigger fan of Whataburger's chicken fingers. Plus Whataburger has gravy for dip. BUT I give Cane's the slight edge on fries. I just never feel like they give me enough...

    I have been known on several occassionally to have Chick-Fil-A for all 3 meals in a single day.

    For a while last year, I did become obsessed with McDonald's after thinking I'd been done with it forever. It's because I had it in Egypt and it was SO GOOD. McDonald's is generally better overseas, I've found. But they put burgers in boxes now... so they're not slimy! Fantastic. They've probably been doing that for years, I just didn't know.
    The bigger burgers have always been in boxes long as I remember, it’s those McDoubles and 99centers in the paper. 

    Ive noticed McDonald’s is slightly better in Canada then the US, not by much, but just enough to notice 

    Quarter pounders were in paper pre-2007, at least.
    I don’t ever remember that. I always remember them being in boxes, of course pre-2008 I wasn’t buying them myself...
    yeah the QPC was my jam for the longest time and i only remember it coming in a box. i'd flip the top and throw my fries in the top half of the box.

    McDonald's also had round bacon for a bit.. that was a dark dark time.

    Even early 2000s?! Oh good grief I'm experiencing the Mandela effect. 
    Have no fear @JaimieT, I worked at McDonald’s my entire high school career (1999-2003) and I can confirm with certainty that QPC were in paper wrappers back then.

    Only burgers that came in a box at the time were Big Mac and Arch Deluxe.

    Yeah you hear that @Chinaski and @emnofseattle? Boom.
    Confirmation from my wife who worked at McDonalds in Nova Scotia circa 2002. Paper wrappers.
    Here in Western Washington, they’ve come in a box as long as I can remember. Because I’ve always use the box by opening it and using the top end to make a lake of ketchup which I would get the burger and fries in
    sane. guess QPC’s on the west coast are just special ;)
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited March 2018
    strangely, i had the same reaction to in-and-out burger, i was a little underwhelmed when i finally got to the left coast and got a chance to try it.  it was fine but i don't care if i ever have it again.  i think it's like that with anything that gets hyped--you're just kind of setting yourself up to be disappointed the more people rave about something that you build up your expectations.

    i do like five guys when the mood strikes though.
    Michelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Noel said:
    cdrive said:
    Sometimes I just have to have a Schlotzky’s small deluxe original.  It’s a serious thing with me.

    BTW that Wendy’s $1 double stack is trash y’all. Should’ve known better.  The Big Mac Jr however was good.  When I’m on a road trip though, it’s Whataburger. Small town Whataburgers are top notch.  

    Thumbs up on Raising Canes. We’ve had one near the house for about 6 years now. No pretentiousness: chicken fingers, crinkle fries, jugs of tea.  Owner is a Mavs fan though. He tried to offer Dwight Howard free Canes for life to steal him. Because of that I had a short-lived boycott one Canes.  And I can’t boycott Chik Fil A cause their spicy chicken sandwich is so damn good and everyone there is so damn nice! 



    1. How the hell do you only have a small sandwich at Schlotzky’s?! I have to go with a medium because they’re SO good. Man, I used to wolf down a large original back in my teenage years and early 20’s. Especially after soccer or basketball practice.

    2. Ditto on small town Whataburger locations. I go down to Waco a few times a year and I always stop at the one in Hillsboro.

    3. I’m so glad the Mavs never signed Dwight Howard.
    Dude I know! I just can’t put em down like I used to. The last few times I got medium, I was hurting all afternoon. So the last few times I get the small and it’s perfect.  But God bless that sandwich. 
  • JaimieT said:
    Brieanne said:
    JaimieT said:
    Chinaski said:
    JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:
    Raising Cane's is very good, but I'm a bigger fan of Whataburger's chicken fingers. Plus Whataburger has gravy for dip. BUT I give Cane's the slight edge on fries. I just never feel like they give me enough...

    I have been known on several occassionally to have Chick-Fil-A for all 3 meals in a single day.

    For a while last year, I did become obsessed with McDonald's after thinking I'd been done with it forever. It's because I had it in Egypt and it was SO GOOD. McDonald's is generally better overseas, I've found. But they put burgers in boxes now... so they're not slimy! Fantastic. They've probably been doing that for years, I just didn't know.
    The bigger burgers have always been in boxes long as I remember, it’s those McDoubles and 99centers in the paper. 

    Ive noticed McDonald’s is slightly better in Canada then the US, not by much, but just enough to notice 

    Quarter pounders were in paper pre-2007, at least.
    I don’t ever remember that. I always remember them being in boxes, of course pre-2008 I wasn’t buying them myself...
    yeah the QPC was my jam for the longest time and i only remember it coming in a box. i'd flip the top and throw my fries in the top half of the box.

    McDonald's also had round bacon for a bit.. that was a dark dark time.

    Even early 2000s?! Oh good grief I'm experiencing the Mandela effect. 
    Have no fear @JaimieT, I worked at McDonald’s my entire high school career (1999-2003) and I can confirm with certainty that QPC were in paper wrappers back then.

    Only burgers that came in a box at the time were Big Mac and Arch Deluxe.

    Yeah you hear that @Chinaski and @emnofseattle? Boom.
    Showing your age you are :p (I remember the paper as well, but usually for Big Macs). 
    JaimieT
  • 5 Guys is the fast food spot for burgers. Sometimes I wish I could get McDonalds Fries and Burger King Burgers in the same place. I’ll give a shout out to In and Out as I had a heavenly experience there years ago when I visited SF. 
    ChinaskiJaimieT
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I like 5 Guys a lot.

    Everything minus pickles plus hot sauce and green peppers.

    The ones here just started installing milkshake machines. It's a one-stop-all-your-calories-for-two-days shop!
    Michelle
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    MrX said:
    Chinaski said:
    there are some places that i've heard a lot about that i'd like to try and Raising Cane's is one of em. other's that come to mind are Bojangles, Checkers and Culver's.

    if i hafta give a shout out.. spicy chicken sandwich with bacon and cheese from Wendy's! here's looking at you.. you're my boo!

    Oh man Bojangles ... one thing I definitely miss about living in North Carolina. 

    Another is Cook-Out, a drive-thru chain that has awesome combo trays. You can get a corn dog as a side for a hot dog! Consider your mind blown.




    Where you been all my life, Cook-Out? I've said for years that Burgers should come with the option of fries and onion rings. It looks damn good, too.
    MrX
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wasiwasi Melbourne, AU
    All that seems to pop up around Melbourne these days are hipster Pho or vegan joints..

    Sometimes when I'm high I surf the web for American TexMex and BBQ menus to fantasize what that would be like... 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 2018
    @wasi Radelaide has gone bonkers for American-style burger joints but what I’ve tried has not been that great. We don’t really do food well here - I really miss Melbourne Vietnamese, pizza and Greek food. Oh, and fish and chips. The fish and chips here are shiiiiiiiit. 
  • wasiwasi Melbourne, AU
    @Dee Fish & chips here are shyte too... I blame the Asians :P Fish & chip shops need to be run by Greeks!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @wasi The flake here isn’t even proper flake - it’s butterfish. BUTTERFISH. 
  • wasiwasi Melbourne, AU
    The closest thing I can get to the American Dream is TGI Friday's... Where everything on the menu is awesome!
  • This might not qualify as fast food as it’s more make to order and it’s only well known in the Midwest but slowly expanding.

    Portillos. Italian beef sandwiches are the bomb!

    also big fan of O’portos. Don’t know if they have it in the US but it’s big in Australia and they are opening up their first branch in Singapore this month. Super excitedly 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I’m not sure what the deal is about the qpc is. I think the box was introduced after they came up with a box that was more biodegradable. If you remember they we’re criticized for the foam one. But this is just a guess.


  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    kingbee67 said:
    I’m not sure what the deal is about the qpc is. I think the box was introduced after they came up with a box that was more biodegradable. If you remember they we’re criticized for the foam one. But this is just a guess.



    I don't know what the deal is either except this gaslighting happening and then someone called me old and honestly I wish I were in a Last Jedi argument.
    voodoorat
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited March 2018
    it's true, there was a real jarring lack of continuity between those foam containers in the mcdlt era and these thin cardboard ones.
    JaimieT
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    JaimieT said:
    Raising Cane's is very good, but I'm a bigger fan of Whataburger's chicken fingers. Plus Whataburger has gravy for dip. BUT I give Cane's the slight edge on fries. I just never feel like they give me enough...

    I have been known on several occassionally to have Chick-Fil-A for all 3 meals in a single day.

    For a while last year, I did become obsessed with McDonald's after thinking I'd been done with it forever. It's because I had it in Egypt and it was SO GOOD. McDonald's is generally better overseas, I've found. But they put burgers in boxes now... so they're not slimy! Fantastic. They've probably been doing that for years, I just didn't know.
    The bigger burgers have always been in boxes long as I remember, it’s those McDoubles and 99centers in the paper. 

    Ive noticed McDonald’s is slightly better in Canada then the US, not by much, but just enough to notice 
    Have you had Harvey's before?  If not, give it a try next time you're up here!  I wouldn't rave about it being 'great' but when it comes to that McDonalds/Burger King/Wendy's etc level of fast food Harvey's is the best.

    https://www.harveys.ca/eng/


    I kept my eye open for Harvey when I was in Canada last weekend and never saw it, however there is a good chain called White Spot, don’t know if they’re National but they’re everywhere in BC, and the BC Ferries vends white spot burgers in the Cafeterias, took the boat out to Powell River/Langdale and had a white spot burger on the trip 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    so i had an Uber take me to Whataburger at 1am last night (my last night in Austin). well, because it was one of the only places open, and everytime i saw one on my trip i thought 'oh we're gonna do this before i leave!'. let's just say.. i chose wisely :)
    cdriveJaimieTNoelMichelle
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    @Chinaski for the win!
    Chinaski
  • Noel said:
    cdrive said:
    Sometimes I just have to have a Schlotzky’s small deluxe original.  It’s a serious thing with me.

    BTW that Wendy’s $1 double stack is trash y’all. Should’ve known better.  The Big Mac Jr however was good.  When I’m on a road trip though, it’s Whataburger. Small town Whataburgers are top notch.  

    Thumbs up on Raising Canes. We’ve had one near the house for about 6 years now. No pretentiousness: chicken fingers, crinkle fries, jugs of tea.  Owner is a Mavs fan though. He tried to offer Dwight Howard free Canes for life to steal him. Because of that I had a short-lived boycott one Canes.  And I can’t boycott Chik Fil A cause their spicy chicken sandwich is so damn good and everyone there is so damn nice! 



    1. How the hell do you only have a small sandwich at Schlotzky’s?! I have to go with a medium because they’re SO good. Man, I used to wolf down a large original back in my teenage years and early 20’s. Especially after soccer or basketball practice.

    2. Ditto on small town Whataburger locations. I go down to Waco a few times a year and I always stop at the one in Hillsboro.

    3. I’m so glad the Mavs never signed Dwight Howard.
    I can’t believe that someone else besides me in this forum has eaten at that Whataburger.  I rather drive fifteen more minutes south to West and stuff my face with kolaches from Slovacek’s. 

    For me it’s the Hunger Buster!  I grew up eating Dairy Queen until it closed idown. I would have drive to stupid Coppell to get my fix, but luckily there is a resurgence and new one opened in North Fort Worth saving me gas and having to drive on stupid 183.  

    cdrive
Sign In or Register to comment.