Annihilation

Hi guys, I just finished your podcast spoiler review for the Annihilation movie. It sounded like the plot line you were most confused about was the one involving Natalie Portman’s character. The surface lvl explanation that I immediately picked up on during the movie was that Jenniefer Jason Leigh’s character, as the psychologist of the movie, was only picking people that had nothing to lose to go into the shimmer. Apparently that qualified Oscar Isaac’s character after he found out the love of his life was cheating on him. Natalie Portman even says that she knows exactly why he decided to go in and then almost immediately it cuts to her remembering the affair. Now the allegorical interpretation I recognized through more reviews, is the theme of self-destruction littered throughout the entirety of this movie to include Natalie Portman cheating and basically self-sabotaging herself and marriage. If you want further explanations I highly recommend the AtZ Annihiliation Theory https://youtu.be/4Eo72iR864U . He did an amazing job in deep diving and providing further analysis of the movies meanings. Thanks guys as always for providing amazing content =) I listen to it all but this may be the first time I’ve provided feedback. But this movie was so unsettlingly resonating for me, I was compelled to share my opinions. -Dawn 
ghm3Elisaaki

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    test
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Tried to merge this with the other discussion, but the merge tool seems to be borked!
    RICHONNE
  • Do ya want me to merge it myself? 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'd just post your comment over there, @RICHONNE. If @A_Ron_Hubbard can't do it, you wouldn't have the ability/permissions either. I like your thoughts!
    RICHONNE
  • Super sorry, I didn’t know to put it on there! 
  • seanrayseanray Texas
    edited March 11
    Don’t worry, the alien life form will learn and adapt and consume this forum and make a duplicate inside the original forum.
    ChinaskiJaimieTRICHONNE
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    sean.ray said:
    Don’t worry, the alien life form will learn and adapt and consume this forum and make a duplicate inside the original forum.
    yeah.. you may or may not turn into a gnarly looking tree, but it's totally worth it!
  • @Chinaski Isn’t assimilation the most fucked up thing? It terrifies me, I’d rather be chased by Jason, Freddy, Michael, Letherface, at least they’ll only kill me. But I don’t want to be turned into a cenobite, absorbed by the blob, become a Borg, or be touched by John Carpenter’s the Thing. To be manipulated and transformed into another being, ewwww!
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    sean.ray said:
    @Chinaski Isn’t assimilation the most fucked up thing? It terrifies me, I’d rather be chased by Jason, Freddy, Michael, Letherface, at least they’ll only kill me. But I don’t want to be turned into a cenobite, absorbed by the blob, become a Borg, or be touched by John Carpenter’s the Thing. To be manipulated and transformed into another being, ewwww!
    eh. while most people suck. humans turned out kinda alright.
  • Yeah, but it’s no longer “them” it’s the aliens interpretation of them. Idk, it’s probably my biggest fear to be honest.