Just sayin (general opinion)

kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
I didn’t see the whole Fergie anthem thing when it happened. I heard it now and what bothers me is that the announcer said she was from Hacienda Heights Ca. That’s my hometown she went to school with my brother and sisters. Did she really have to sound like a regular patron of the Sunset Room right before last call? Oh the shame! Just sayin.
Septa NutellaTravisElisaMurderbear

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited March 8
    Truth be told, and my opinion is kind of colored by the fact that I heard a ton of reaction before hearing the rendition (which left me thinking I was in for a Rosanne Barr or Carl Lewis situation), but I didn't think it was that bad. It wasn't great, and I do think it's kind of hilarious that reportedly she walked off stage thinking "oh man, I totally knocked that out of the park," but she took a big swing that resulted in an infield pop-up. I wouldn't say (continuing a pained metaphor) that she fell and broke her leg running to base though. It was just a ridiculous concept. I'm far from a Fergie fan (I f'n hate the Black Eye'd Peas), but I do give her props for trying something different especially when the event was making a special effort to celebrate the Marvin Gaye rendition.

kingbee67ElisaCecily
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    One of the reasons I brought it up was I was listening to Howard Stern the other day.he kept going over the announcer and the way he said Hacienda Heights. Me and my brother were talking about it. Then I heard her version it’s not bad but I just wanted to goof on it. Also I just wanted to start a thread for just random stuff. There was something like that before but I forgot what the title was.
    Travis
  • kingbee67 said:
    One of the reasons I brought it up was I was listening to Howard Stern the other day.he kept going over the announcer and the way he said Hacienda Heights. Me and my brother were talking about it. Then I heard her version it’s not bad but I just wanted to goof on it. Also I just wanted to start a thread for just random stuff. There was something like that before but I forgot what the title was.
    That show was from two weeks ago? ;) 
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 8
    Speaking of random stuff, I was looking at my "on this day" thing on Facebook and was reminded of the most ridiculous museum display that I ever saw. This was in a car museum in Los Angeles. I get that this dude is "trying to fix the car" but I think something very different is conveyed...

Also a part of the same exhibit, I love how the other dude just looks really confused and not-approving.

DeeSepta NutellaMichelleMurderbearneilfgkscdrivevoodooratFlukesJaimieTdarwinfeeshy
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited March 9
    Before they realized the efficiency of gasoline, other fuels were used...
    letrbuck2006Travisdarwinfeeshy
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    The lady is just like... Yeah I'll just be reading over here until we get back to town and then I'm bailing on this dude lol
    Travis
  • "Mneh, be that me identical twin brother engaging in gratification whilst the lady pours through her pages, unawares. Poor form, Thaddeus! Poor form!"
    Flukes
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157490332379062&id=369116414061

I’m so fucked up cause I know it’s bad to like this cause a man died, but in a messed up way these two intervewees give me so much city pride.

• Suck it, Uncle Sam! I have survived! I logged 160+ hours between 3/16 and today (my last two paychecks were pretty sweet), but all the returns and extensions are filed and I'm gonna go have a stouty, high ABV beer and kick my feet up. Hell yes! I love tax day. I'm going to sleep so late tomorrow too. It's going to be beautiful.
    cdriveFreddyMichelleMurderbearChinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    @Travis I dropped my extension in the mail less than an hour before the post office closed. Yeah, its one of those years. 
    MichelleTravisdarwinfeeshyA_Ron_HubbardChinaski
  • Freddy said:
    @Travis I dropped my extension in the mail less than an hour before the post office closed. Yeah, its one of those years. 
    Ha! Man, I totally get it. We facilitated more than a couple of those. It's funny, my boss and my co-worker both are doing their extension work-ups today. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    @Travis, I'm assuming you do tax accounting?  I feel for you!  I feel buried sometimes just working on company P&L's, budgets, payroll, etc. - that's as far as I'm taking my accounting career.  I can't even *imagine* doing what you do.  You deserve a rest for sure!!
    Travis
  • As a recent accounting grad, I wouldn't touch tax with a ten-foot-pole.

Exception after exception. Exceptions within exceptions of other exceptions. 

shudder
    Travis
  • fucked up when i got my new job (the one i just quit) last year and accidentally over-contributed to my hsa(s), got an extension and need to take a thousand bucks out so i can pay tax on it and avoid a penalty.  we're getting a decent refund eventually but it's not fun because it's already spent on boring stuff.
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 19
    I just realized that i said 160 hours which actually falls short of a normal work week. That was meant to be 260. “Look how hard i worked. I mean, like 35 hours a week man!” Whoops. Ha!

actually it’s not so bad. I wouldn’t recommend it because it is so ridiculously convuted and ever evolving, but it’s a pretty good paycheck, my company is really flexible, and it is actually kind of nice to just know that every year you’re going to have this month to bank ridiculous overtime. It’s an ok gig. 
    Michellecdrive
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Freddy said:
    Are there ever years when you don't?  I've been a small business owner on and off for like 15 years, and I think only 2 of them have I actually filed and paid for my taxes on time.  Thank god for easy extensions.
    MurderbearTravis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I procrastinate on just about everything in my life but for whatever reason, when it comes to taxes, I want them done ASAP. Usually I do it the weekend after I get my W-2. It's probably also cause I'm usually broke and could use that refund and when you file super early, you get it back way way faster!
    Travis
    I used the turbo tax free extension online service this year.  Got it knocked out in minutes and it was super easy.
    Congrats @Travis for getting to the light at the end of the tunnel!  Drink a beer and listen to Beatle's taxman (haha I'm sure that doesn't get old)

Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited April 19
    @cdrive Thanks, buddy. To report on the beer, you can just never go wrong with the Stone Russian Imperial Stout. Holy hell that is a great beer. The nice thing about the Taxman thing is that it's a really good song. I'm so, SO glad it isn't a bad song. I can still find amusement in it all because of that. George is a sneaky one. I spent a very long time thinking that was a Lennon/McCartney, but it's totally a George. One of my favorite anecdotes from that really long Beatles doc series (name escapes me) was the story about Sinatra saying that "'Something' was the best song Lennon/McCartney ever wrote" and of course that one was a Harrison. 

About extensions, it really is incredibly common. People often get a little squirrely about them because they think it raises their visibility on the IRS radar or something, and I suppose there may be a tiny shred of truth to it (honestly, I might research that a bit because I do wonder if there is literally no truth to it and I'm curious about it), but honestly if you're paid up and have at least some decent guestimate of the bottom line on the form there is really no negative consequence to it. I would say that probably roughly 20-25% of our returns go on extension in a typical year. I would say that just shooting in an extension with all $0s running down it is not really advisable unless it is true that you believe that you will not generate a tax. They can and do reject extensions and even if you don't pay at the time they will do all of their assessments based on the bottom line of the returns, so try to at least really estimate what is happening on the returns, but yeah. No shame in or problem with doing extensions. 

Also, everybody who has been in business for themselves knows but because I had to deliver so much bad news this year (I mean there was like a three day stretch where I delivered about a quarter million dollars in combined bad news to folks) pay those quarterly estimates, son! And if you have a decent stake in K-1s from partnerships that you aren't necessarily in touch with really be aware of any big activities. Man, one of those things sells a building or something... Oof. Granted, in the couple of cases that I came across where those situations really racked up some dollars they got a heads up, but do something with that heads up. $80k in taxes across two clients who knew they were going to owe, but were kind of shocked at the extent. Man, that was a shitty couple of days.
    cdriveChinaski
    edited April 19
    @Travis SRIS is such a great bomber to have along side your six pack on a weekend! Love that beer.  About George, he is so sneaky isn't he?  George has always been my favorite Beatle.

Blue Jay Way
    Give me Love (love that solo career song)
    Here Comes the Sun (we've talked about how good Abbey Road is)
    Taxman
    Love you to
    I need you (Even some of the best of the old stuff was George)

All that groovy Indian-flavor stuff and droning that George brought to the table was dope.  

I used to feel bad about filing extensions, but now I just accept. And my wife does too.  It just is what it is.  That K1 I get that comes late March just fucks with my shit with life being so busy.  So the extension makes it easy to take the time and do it right.  ///edit: "pay those quarterly estimates, son! "<---This is sage advice.  I do now.////

I also came in here to drop this little shout out to the new and improved Nancy comic.  I guess the old schoolers are getting their feathers ruffled, like, people are losing their shit in the comments section.  But the new modern Nancy is pretty funny and speaks to present times.  I accidentally fell into it, but I'm digging it.  I haven't read comic strips in ages.

http://www.gocomics.com/nancy/2018/04/16

Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    This cup of hot, creamy Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce coffee might be the most perfect thing on the planet right now. :kissing_heart:

(And I know, I know.... Starbucks... but I still love them and am not boycotting an entire company for the actions of one manager whose thoughts and behavior don't represent the company at large.)
    Travis

• @cdrive I hadn't seen that comic before, but I dig it. That's really good. Ha!

Also, I'm with you about George. It's tough to pick a "best Beatle" but I have done a lot of George defaulting over the years. I totally agree with everything you said. I too love the Indian flavor. Love to You might just be the best... wait, A Day in the Life... OK the second best track on Sgt. Pepper's. Also, I think Here Comes the Sun might be as close to a perfect song that I've come across. It may not be my favorite song of all time (I love it and it's somewhere in the conversation, but ultimately not my absolute favorite), but if I were going to teach a class in songwriting that song would be ALL OVER the place. I mean, catch factor, structure (that waltz shift is just a perfect move). It's simple but you can listen to it a million times. It's totally clear in its purpose and executes it flawlessly. The riff is right on the money (I mean it's just the melody, but it has just the right amount of movement and that little bounce). You know all the words by like the second time through and is very sing-song-y. The whole package has a really nice, infectious joy and lightness to it. I mean, I really believe it's about as close to a perfect song that you'll find.
    cdrive
  • I'm not so up on what's going on with Starbucks, but whenever Starbucks comes up it always takes my mind to this:

cdriveMichelle
    ^hahaha I love that scene in Best In Show!

H-TOWWWWWNN!!!

Travis
  • That's awesome. I've never personally witnessed the Starbucks directly across from a Starbucks phenomenon, but I know they exist. Fucking mind bending.

I will say, nothing pisses me off more than the move where Starbucks puts in a shop right next to a mom and pop coffee shop. I get it, capitalist competition and be better than they are and what not but it just brings up the sort of old inner-teenager outrage in me that was constructed when Blockbuster built up a new location in the same strip mall as my old beloved Video Station when I was 18 or so and the VS went under in less than a year. It's true that it's ultimately the consumers making the call and people need to vote with their wallets (though it's not entirely that simple, with them having the wealth of resources and sometimes shitty back-room "we're going to screw with your leases" situations and the landlords would rather have these big name branded companies in their spaces, plenty of those types of advantages), Even all that aside, on its face it's just such a messed up, cold blooded move.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Me and my brother have been wondering what one of the new buildings are going to be in a new strip mall by my house. Turns out a Starbucks drive thru. There’s a plain one across the street. The Mexican market chain, Northgate has just built a coffee shop in the parking lot of its newest grocery store on the other corner. So we get 3 places to get coffee in the same block.
    Travis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @Travis @cdrive To me, the best George song is Something. It's perfect.
    Traviscdrive
  • @Murderbear it's a monster, MFer of a song. He was so good. Another amazing bridge and a great riff (quick and "small" but so amazingly recognizable and distinctive). Speaking of Something and Here Comes the Sun, I really think Abbey Road is the best album I've ever heard. It's tough to speak so definitively, but I really think it's probably true.
    Murderbearcdrive
    edited April 19
    @Murderbear Yes! I love the guitar tones Harrison pulled on his solos, and the solo in Something is his best. So good.  He wrote some damn good solos.  Never trying to do too much and always extremely mindful of where he was going to take you next with each note. 

I have a Gretsch Tennessean cause of that GH tone. My fav guitar, with the painted on f holes and TV Jones Hilotrons, the “Ticket to Ride” Guitar.  Some of that is cause I’m a huge VU guy but most of it is cause of Mr. George Harrison.  
    MurderbearTravis
    @Travis

Russian Imperial Stout for the weekend.  Our back n forth got me thinking I need one!

TravisNoel