Episode 508 "DIVESTMENT"

Comments

• I have to say the standout moment from this episode was the moment during the tire burning scene. Pretty horrific even in comparison to the the body bag-suitcase crunch scene from earlier episodes. You could see how not only Phillip but also Elizabeth was bothered by it. We got to check in with Nina who was offered a deal to secure her freedom. All she has to due is discover whether or not the scientist held captive is purposefully sabotaging the Russian's mission or not. 
    Elisa
  • John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    Yes I had to look that one up. Necklacing seems to be a practice in sertian parts of the world. That was brutal. You are right the body breaking episode pails in comparison. Nina I don't think will ever be truly freed. I just don't see it no matter what they tell her. Especially if she proves herself to be effective, that is, until they loose their grip on her. They will only be able to string her along so far before she figures that out.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    My favorite part was the whole Martha angle. I don't think she is drinking the koolaid anymore.
    Cory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I found the body breaking and packing into a suitcase scene far, far worse than the turn burning scene.

@Elisa - Marth definitely isn't fooled anymore, how can she be, "Clark" didn't even have an explanation, let alone a believable one (I was expecting him to have something, much like the apartment last week).
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited March 2015
    Why does everything have to be ranked?  ;)  They were both horrific for different reasons.  Annelise's life was snuffed out while she was most vulnerable (naked in bed) and innocently childlike (confiding to Yousaf, "I'm on your side,  I'm doing something important").  Then Annelise the person didn't matter; her dead body was treated like an object that just needed to be disposed of in the quickest, most efficient manner.  The sound design made that scene even harder to bear. 

There was an intimacy to Annelise's murder and disposal that violated personhood and made her naiveté even more sad, because now she will just vanish and presumably will just fade away. 

Venter's death was horrific because as @John_Nada noted, necklacing was an actual thing.  The second Ncgobo rejected Elizabeth's gun, I expected him to get a tire.  What a horrible way to go, even for someone spewing the hateful bile that Venter was.  All the same, I was keenly aware that was a stunt person the whole time, and I found myself admiring the stunt almost as much as I was horrified by the actual execution.  With Annelise, I was just horrified.
    Elisaksa1001
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Cory said:

I found the body breaking and packing into a suitcase scene far, far worse than the turn burning scene.

@Elisa - Marth definitely isn't fooled anymore, how can she be, "Clark" didn't even have an explanation, let alone a believable one (I was expecting him to have something, much like the apartment last week).

I thought that was a little weak. Seemed like he could at least buy some time and say "let me check with my bosses and see what's going on." Come up with some reason why his own group might keep him in the dark. 
    Cory
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm scared for Martha. Philip has no use for her now, and she's a potentially dangerous loose end.
    Elisahypergenesb
  • John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    @Dee Adelaide I think you may be right.  Philip is stretched extreme thin and Martha may just have become the number one liability out there right now.  I could see the wheels turning as he laid staring into space and we all know this will not end well.   
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Last week Martha thought Phillip was either cheating on her or a fraud now she is close to suspecting he's a double agent. Something's gotta give.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I finally got around to listening to that Slate podcast with Matthew Rhys. I want to hire a Welsh person to just read to me all day - best accent ever.
    Elisa
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    chrisk said:

Cory said:

I thought that was a little weak. Seemed like he could at least buy some time and say "let me check with my bosses and see what's going on." Come up with some reason why his own group might keep him in the dark. 
    Considering what we've come to expect from them, it was very weak that he had NOTHING.  I like the excuse you used as some sort of default fallback, but he had nothing.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited March 2015
    It does seem to me that Martha's assertion that Walter Taffet is the same as Clark is a little off. If she buys that there's inter-departmental spying, you wouldn't have Clark coming in to question everyone. 

Also, shouldn't they realize from the tech that the pen wouldn't be able to broadcast very far?

Really hope the show doesn't have them pin it on the new guy, especially considering he's the only one who noticed the pen to begin with.

I liked how Elizabeth was able to turn Paige's research on Gregory to her advantage. 

Dee said:

I finally got around to listening to that Slate podcast with Matthew Rhys. I want to hire a Welsh person to just read to me all day - best accent ever. 

I've stopped being impressed with Aussies and UK actors doing awesome American accents, especially since there's so many of them the past 10 years, but when I heard his natural accent for some reason I was more impressed that he could suppress that as well as he does. The first time I heard it was some panel they were doing, and I could barely understand him, but I think it's because he was even more jovial and bubbly than he was on that podcast. He's definitely not like Philip.
  • Martha is done. And I bet Elizabeth is the one that puts her down. Philip has lost his stomach for the spy game. This season has to end with his defection, or a decision to defect. 
    AmeliaCoryElisasteph_b
    I don't know what kind of lie Philip could have told Martha.  He knew he was burned.  I think the only card he had to play was that Martha loves him and that Martha was burned also.  So he gambles on Martha's love and her willingness to either live a lie or be flipped.  I wonder if she'll flip for him.  Philip does not want to kill her, and I don't think that it would be smart for them to kill her.  The last time they killed someone from that office got someone from the Rezidentura killed, and the FBI would be all over this even if Martha supposedly commits suicide.  Would they have to kill Martha's parents also?  They probably have wedding photos of them.

Martha is Philip's only in to Counterintelligence, as he's been working her for over two years.  I wonder if they might frame someone as being the mole.  Like Zinaida.  That's my crackpot theory.

Or Elizabeth could take it upon herself to take out Martha.  She might be sick of the other wife.
    AmeliaCoryElisahypergenesbsteph_b
  • edited March 2015
    chrisk said:

Really hope the show doesn't have them pin it on the new guy, especially considering he's the only one who noticed the pen to begin with.

They might conclude that he planted the bug himself, not because he's a double agent but as a way to get attention from his superiors. Stan did tell Philip last episode that the guy seemed overambitious.

Martha is done. And I bet Elizabeth is the one that puts her down. Philip has lost his stomach for the spy game. This season has to end with his defection, or a decision to defect. 

Yeah, I don't see Philip killing Martha or even allowing Elizabeth to do it. Even if he doesn't love her, he does genuinely believe that she's a good woman. Maybe Martha confesses to Gaad and leads the FBI to Philip by the end of the season.
    Elisasteph_b
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    A few things I've been thinking... Phillp's out - was he trying to tell Martha that he loved her and was keeping her safe but not telling about his real identity and mission to protect her?

Paige investigating Gregory - my she is quite the resourceful spy is she not.
  • Andy Greenwald podcast covers the Americans. There are some interesting takes on why people aren't watching despite the show being so good. 

Amelia
  • Emily Nussbaum addresses the darkness of the show in the New Yorker: 

AmeliaElisa
  • Elisa said:

A few things I've been thinking... Phillp's out - was he trying to tell Martha that he loved her and was keeping her safe but not telling about his real identity and mission to protect her?

The way I understood the scene, Philip implied that he had lied about his identity, but claimed that his feelings for Martha were real. Then he asked whether that partial confession was enough for Martha, a question that I felt was a subtle threat. As if there might be a problem if Martha demanded to know more.
    steph_bElisa
  • That whole scene left me confused as hell. But whatever Clark was trying to do there - I'm certain Martha's not buying any of it. You can't get that toothpaste back in the tube.
    AmeliaElisa
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    @dee I'm Welsh ;-/ live not far from Matthew's home. I don't know him sadly.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @MmmBop Gosh, I'm envious! I remember when he and Ioan Gruffudd used to give interviews together when they were just becoming known and they always seemed like they were having the best fun.
    MmmBop
    Dee said:

@MmmBop Gosh, I'm envious! I remember when he and Ioan Gruffudd used to give interviews together when they were just becoming known and they always seemed like they were having the best fun.

Yes I agree they have a great Welsh sense of humour ;-/ changing accents as they do is quite amazing. Both actors speak Welsh.

I was surprised to hear Matthew Rhys say 'The Americans' doesn't get his full performance because he's always partially focused on maintaining the accent.  It makes sense, but if that's just a partial performance, I can't imagine what a full one would be.

His Mexican accent does indeed sound like Speedy Gonzales, but his Spanish Buzz Lightyear one (2nd video) is hilarious, and I would like to hear more.

steph_bElisaAmelia

I was surprised to hear Matthew Rhys say 'The Americans' doesn't get his full performance because he's always partially focused on maintaining the accent.  It makes sense, but if that's just a partial performance, I can't imagine what a full one would be.

His Mexican accent does indeed sound like Speedy Gonzales, but his Spanish Buzz Lightyear one (2nd video) is hilarious, and I would like to hear more.

His Scouse & Geordie were amazing
  • I was surprised to hear Matthew Rhys say 'The Americans' doesn't get his full performance because he's always partially focused on maintaining the accent.  It makes sense, but if that's just a partial performance, I can't imagine what a full one would be.

I thought MR was American. When I heard he was playing Mr. Darcy in "Death Comes to Pemberley" I thought it was strange they hired an American for that role. I thought they chose him because he looks a bit like Colin Firth's Darcy (and he's a wonderful actor, of course).
    MmmBop