The Many Saints of Newark (The Sopranos prequel)

edited January 24 in Movies
https://uproxx.com/sepinwall/david-chase-sopranos-prequel-movie-the-many-saints-of-newark/

There's been talk of this going around for years - I never thought it'd actually happen, but here it is. Thoughts?

picorock80

Comments

• It's been a while since I've watched, but I recall some of the flashbacks to Tony's youth being pretty well done, so this could be interesting.
    ElisaTaraC73mac.maguire
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I could see it. I think a show would/could be interesting. 
    A guy from Jersey, kinda in the mob. Maybe he has some conflicting issues with being a low level criminal. I don’t know not the most original type thing but there is worse stuff out there.
    TaraC73
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    As long as it has a subplot involving Rocco Alatore's Reno Adventure.
    TaraC73
  • edited January 23
    There's been a number of casting news popping up recently so thought I'd bump this thread. Just read that James Gandolfini's son (who plays Bobby's son on The Deuce) will play young Tony Soprano. The looks are there for sure, one can only hope the acting will hold up as well!
    Other cast members include Jon Bernthal, Vera Farmiga and Corey Stoll.
    Alan Taylor will be directing, he also did a bunch of original Sopranos episodes.

The more I hear about it, the more stoked I am. And since it's been in the works for years, I hope it will be honed to perfection.
    OpusWhoMrX
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Could this be a trigger for Bald move to do a Sopranos Retrospective podcasts of each season leading up to the movie???? I can Dream can't I!
    Renialexander.klassenMrX
  • FernNYC17 said:
    Could this be a trigger for Bald move to do a Sopranos Retrospective podcasts of each season leading up to the movie???? I can Dream can't I!
    That would be awesome. I think they recently had a Sopranos question on a lunch, but I'm not sure they know about the upcoming movie.
    MrX
  • edited January 23
    They can’t do anything before they catch up on Black Mirror lol...

But in all honesty didn’t they say more Netflix was like their biggest priority this year???
  • If only commissions were still a thing we could find some wealthy Italian-American captain of industry to have them discuss 'College', 'University' and 'Whitecaps'.

Keeping in mind that there's no such thing as the Mafia.
    MrX
  • I never dreamed it would actually have Tony in it...I could not have been more shocked that it was the younger Gandolfini in the Deuce. 

I have only been in the club for little over a year and The Sopranos question has come up at least 5-7 times. I am sure the same questions come up over and over but I just had a small background re-watch after all the 20th anniversary stuff and I have to say to J & A that this show REALLY HOLDS UP...

...and since they aren’t busy it would be a great time to re-visit...maybe watch and deep dive the entire series around mid-April...yeah...works for me...

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    The Sopranos has been on my list of things to watch for awhile, but if the boys podcast about it I’m moving it up to #1!
  • OpusWho said:
    I never dreamed it would actually have Tony in it...I could not have been more shocked that it was the younger Gandolfini in the Deuce. 

Same - I knew he looked vaguely familiar but it was such a small part I never bothered looking him up.

Thanks @FernNYC17 for the lunch question, I was about to do that too :)
    OpusWho