Roseanne Reboot

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
What do you guys think about the upcoming Roseanne reboot? I wasn't going to watch it until I saw this photo of Laurie Metcalf and started laughing my ass off haha

MichelleTaraC73

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    edited March 9
    No shame, I've probably seen every episode a handful or more of times.  She doesn't have the reputation of being the best person in real life, but I think her sitcom was (and is still) super funny.  I like how they aimed to represent the everyday, working, lower-middle class family and showed everything that we all go through as human beings.  The characters were so relatable.  Watching the trailer for the reboot, it looks like it's going to be just as funny as it was 25-30 years ago.  I'm looking forward to it.

OliviaD
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I am so torn about this. The original show was groundbreaking and bloody hilarious along with it - one of my all time favourite sitcoms. But Roseanne has turned into such a batshit Trump-loving racist bigot I don’t know if I can do it. 
    Murderbearphoenyx1023Elisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    They had the best Halloween episodes. I’ve actually DLed all the Halloween episodes and watch them from time to time. 

Definitely going to to give it a chance. Growing up in the Illinois burbs Roseanne was about as close to a representation of my family on screen ever. 
    MurderbearMichelle
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    It was like my family growing up, too, although my mom is way nicer than Roseanne. :) But that made me NOT like it haha
    HatorianMichelle
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    I’m watching it. No shame at all. If it sucks or annoys me after a few episodes I’ll quit. Of course, I’ll watch just about anything with Goodman in it so hopefully it holds my interest. I usually try to keep at least one network sitcom in my watch list so my brain can relax once a week.  :p
    Michelleakritenbrink
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    I’m definitely watching. I grew up watching it and like others it reminded me of my blue collar mid west family. I always wanted dan Connor to be my dad ( my real dad sucks) I watched the entire series again during my maternity leave last year and still love it. 
    Michelle
    Still laughing at that image of Jackie in a pussy hat with a Nasty Woman t-shirt.  I can just hear it, in her 'Jackie' voice... "I'm a nasssssssty woman, Roseanne! :angry: "   haha  :)
    akritenbrink
    Has it started back up already? I'm so torn about checking it out. I'm afraid I might like it now and then i would have an existential crisis lol
    Elisa
    No, it starts on the 27th. 
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    and now i want a Landford Lunchbox Loose Meat Sandwich!
    Chinaski said:
    and now i want a Landford Lunchbox Loose Meat Sandwich!
    Oh wow if we were all Midwesterners, you could start one of your food threads about Loose Meat sandwiches. They come by many names and there are lots of arguments about how to make them haha.
    Chinaski
  • Dee said:
    I am so torn about this. The original show was groundbreaking and bloody hilarious along with it - one of my all time favourite sitcoms. But Roseanne has turned into such a batshit Trump-loving racist bigot I don’t know if I can do it. 
    I never much cared about the show (thought it was fine, not great the few times I watched it), but this + the fat that reboots are almost universally terrible would make it highly unlikely I'd watch it even if I did like it in its original form. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I caved - the lure of Laurie Metcalf and Sara Gilbert was too strong. Episode 1 was awkward - too much political stuff, too many people who haven’t acted in years, OG Becky’s weird grown up voice. Episode 2 was much better, more like classic Roseanne. 

Jackie is a life coach now, worth watching for that alone. 
    hisdudeness915Michelle
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Yeah, the first episode was kinda icky but the jokes hit pretty well. (Especially the Jill Stein stuff) Sara Gilbert stole the show in both episodes IMO. That stuff with her son was some top shelf material that I wasn’t really expecting and she nailed every second of it. 
    DeeMichelle
    edited March 29
    The first episode was definitely iffy based on all of the political stuff (not fond of the Conners supporting Trump, but that's beside the fact).  I think the side message of that episode, and I think one of the characters even says as much (?) is that people/families can still live and love one another despite differing political views - that we should respect all sides, even if we don't agree with them.  But, the exchange between Becky and Darlene - about Becky faking her age as 33 (for the surrogacy) and that the woman at the MAC counter said it was her 'skin age' and Darlene telling her that she should have used her IQ so she could be 23 - was classic Becky/Darlene.  Like @Dee said though, the second episode was more like the old Roseanne.  I really loved watching this series again. Overall, I thought it was great.  I'm all in.  Also, how great is it that DJ actually got together with Gina, the classmate he didn't want to kiss in the school play?   And I liked that they touched on Mark's death, even if they didn't go into any detail about when or how.  I'm sure we'll hear more about that though.

All of these reboots.... '90s Michelle is loving this!   I was listening to Chris Hardwick's podcast interview with Paul Reiser yesterday, and he mentioned that he'd been talking with Helen Hunt about bringing back Mad About You - but he's not sure if they will.  He feels like they ended it perfectly and what new stories could they tell?  Chris was desperately trying to talk him into it though, and I realllllly hope it comes back.