BURGERS!!

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
what's your custom go to burger? bread type, how do you like it cooked, what type of cheese (if cheese), yay or nay on the bacon, produce, and condiments. let's hear it!

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I like cooking them on the charcoal grill. I usually hand press them. I make them thick. I like mostly traditional toppings no tomatoes.
    ChinaskicdriveTravis
  • Yves veggie burger patty, ciabatta bun, romaine lettuce, tomato and swizz cheese.  Yum!

ChinaskiTravis
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I usually like burgers that have some kind of a Southwest or Mexican kick to them with bacon, guacamole and jalapenos. I do have to wonder why so many places have guacamole OR jalapenos on them. I usually have to order it special.

We like to go to this place called Blazing Onion which is just a bit nicer than fast food,  but still pretty affordable. There are several of them but the one we go to the most is attached to the mall, but a side restaurant and not like part of the food court. You order at the front counter and then sit at a table and they bring you your food. They have booths and stuff so it's more comfortable than a typical "fast casual" place and they do have a bar where you can go in and order alcohol and get table service, but we don't usually do that. They also have the amazing high-tech soda machines we've opined about before on our food threads. :) 

ChinaskiTravis
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i go softest bun in the house, medium well (i go medium rare with steaks but too much pink just doesn't work with ground beef with me), american cheese, pickles, lettuce, ketchup and mustard. cut in half.
    Travis
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited March 11
    Chinaski said:
    i go softest bun in the house, medium well (i go medium rare with steaks but too much pink just doesn't work with ground beef with me), american cheese, pickles, lettuce, ketchup and mustard. cut in half.
    I never want to see pink in ground meat. I've eaten steak raw before, I like them seared on the outside cold on the inside, but here's the deal, bacteria grow in the meat where exposed to air, which is why you can fry a steak black on the outside, raw inside and eat it and not get sick, when you grind the meat, all of it has been exposed to air. 

ChinaskiTravis
    I view cheeseburgers as a cheap junk food, so I like them with the patty, white bun, cheese, and drowned in Mayo. any combination of veggies is ok, but fried onions are the best. 

Travis
    I view cheeseburgers as a cheap junk food, so I like them with the patty, white bun, cheese, and drowned in Mayo. any combination of veggies is ok, but fried onions are the best. 

Have you ever gone to The Ram? I am not sure if they have any on your side of the state. But they have one in Tacoma and a few around Seattle. They had a burger for a long time with fried onions and peppers on it that was really good.
    edited March 11
    This is my favorite burger restaurant, Big Bubbas Burgers in Allyn, WA. 5 minutes from my house. I don't eat there often anymore because I'm trying to be healthier, but they're basically the standard burger joint that's common in Rural America, greasy burger, hot fries, and milkshakes. five minutes from my house. 

But what I really like, is their logo that makes fun of the Washington state highway logo, this is right off of State Route 3

Here's the genuine highway sign for comparison

Chinaski
    one of the best burgers i have ever had was at this hoity touty steakhouse i went to for lunch last year and it was far from 'cheap junk food. it was call the '50/50 burger':
    Dry-Aged / Bacon / A-5 Aïoli / Shallot Marmalade / Smoked Cheddar / House-Made Pickles

i thought i was getting dry-aged beef with bacon on it. nope! it was dry-aged beef and bacon all ground up into the patty. goodness, it was so rich and crazy good!

Travis
    Chinaski said:
    one of the best burgers i have ever had was at this hoity touty steakhouse i went to for lunch last year and it was far from 'cheap junk food. it was call the '50/50 burger':
    Dry-Aged / Bacon / A-5 Aïoli / Shallot Marmalade / Smoked Cheddar / House-Made Pickles

i thought i was getting dry-aged beef with bacon on it. nope! it was dry-aged beef and bacon all ground up into the patty. goodness, it was so rich and crazy good!

I'm sure it was good, what I meant was, if I'm eating anywhere fancy I never order a burger, so I've never had an expensive burger, I eat them for lunch and never pay more then ten dollars for one, so that's the limit of my experience on burgers. 
    ChinaskiTravis
    Chinaski said:

I'm sure it was good, what I meant was, if I'm eating anywhere fancy I never order a burger, so I've never had an expensive burger, I eat them for lunch and never pay more then ten dollars for one, so that's the limit of my experience on burgers. 
    gotcha! in that case then.. patty, american cheese, pickles, ketucup and mustard all day everyday!
    Travis

Have you ever gone to The Ram? I am not sure if they have any on your side of the state. But they have one in Tacoma and a few around Seattle. They had a burger for a long time with fried onions and peppers on it that was really good.
    Don't we live on the same side of the state? I mean I literally live on the shore of puget sound, so I'm certain I'm on the same "side" of WA. 

That aside, No I have never eaten there, but I will add them to the list and try them out. what are they, a casual dining/bar like Hop Jacks or Blazing Onion? 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Drag it thru the garden- red onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes.
    medium to medium well on the meat. Hickory smoked on charcoal
    mayo
    has to have mustard and jalepenos
    melted Brie (no rind!)
    brioche bun

ChinaskiTravis
    cdrive said:
    Drag it thru the garden- red onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes.
    medium to medium well on the meat. Hickory smoked on charcoal
    mayo
    has to have mustard and jalepenos
    melted Brie (no rind!)
    brioche bun
    and..... 'The CDRIVE Burger' is born. melted brie? you fancy animal!
    cdriveTravis
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Medium well, cheddar cheese, lettuce, extra pickles and mustard. Sometimes onions if I’m in the mood. 
    ChinaskiTravis
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 11
    A few times I've ground (well used a food processor - look it up, it works!) beef for homemade burgers and it makes a big difference: 1/3 Chuck 1/3 sirloin 1/3 short rib.

Cook it hot and fast on a cast iron griddle, mid-rare.

Bun = potato bun or King's Hawaiian, toasted on the griddle.

Accoutrements: I'm a fan of the traditional; American cheese (melts best), burger sauce (i like a mix of mayo, ketchup, Dijon, minced shallot, Worcestershire, hot sauce), iceberg lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles.

ChinaskicdriveTravis
  • I get a single burger with mustard only, large fry large Dr Pepper from Whataburger. (Only in Texas, maybe some in NM, or OK) MMMMMMMM.
    im in Montana now, just typing this makes my mouth water.
    cdriveTravis
  • Medium rare with American and horseradish sauce (mayo and ground horseradish, not the creamy stuff).
    Add lettuce, a big slice of beefsteak tomato and red onions, toss the roll on the grill as the burgers finish up.

A burger that's a little bloody won't kill you, and it's better than a hockey puck.
    Travis

Don't we live on the same side of the state? I mean I literally live on the shore of puget sound, so I'm certain I'm on the same "side" of WA. 

That aside, No I have never eaten there, but I will add them to the list and try them out. what are they, a casual dining/bar like Hop Jacks or Blazing Onion? 
    I don't even know if we live on the same planet. But I guess I should have said your side of the water. Sorry for the egregious technical mistake, lol

It's just a bar and grill kind of place. The one I've been to the most is in the U Village and has a lot of college and sports themed stuff. Not sure if that's the same for all of them or if that's just in the UW area.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 11
    Sesame seed bun. Waygu beef medium. Slice of Cheddar cheese. One piece of lettuce. The outer 2 rings of one slice of onion. 2 strips of bacon and a dash of either ketchup or mayo depending on how I’m feeling. 

In Australia they seem to have this love for Beetroot on the burgers. And in singapore they love BBQ sauce. I always have to remind myself when I order to make sure to tell them no beetroot or BBQ sauce depending on where I am. 
    ChinaskiTravis
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    SLAP A FRIED EGG ON IT
    FreddyChinaskicdriveDummy
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 12
    Aw man. I need a burger now. This is great. I'll take a @cdrive burger, for sure!

I love all sorts of burgers. It's kind of tough to pin down a favorite. When I'm in a place that serves a variety I always get excited to see what they've come up with. I've found that if gruyere is an option for the cheese, I will often gravitate in that direction. I do love "south-west-y" types of things, and I tend to be the most satisfied with the butteriest brioche-y goodness, and if caramelized onions are on the table they'll be on my burger. 

I guess if I were to try to pin down a standard, it would go something like this:
    Medium cook (I agree that a pink burger weirds me out a bit, but I also don't want the hockey puck. Drop it right in the middle)
    Brioche bun, buttered and cooked on the burger cooking surface 
    tomatoes (but not too many, maybe just a slice)
    caramelized onions
    Melt on some cheese (like I said, I really like gruyere but we never have it around. We usually only have cheddar or swiss lying around and either of them work just fine)
    mayo, not skimping but not drowning (that's for chicken sandwiches)
    about 1/2 the time I stop there and about half the time I'll go with some BBQ or sriracha and pickles.

Surprisingly given how wonderful bacon is in general, sometimes it gets in the way a little. Maybe just give me a couple of slices on the side so I can feel the maximum quality of each. There is certainly a time and place for the bacon burger, but not always. I've started feeling this way as I've gotten older (or maybe my GP has brainwashed me in effort to lower my cholesterol, that is certainly a possibility)
    Chinaskicdrive
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited March 13
    Sometimes I add dry onion soup mix to my ground beef. I kinda stop adding things to the meat because it was getting out of hand. Some of the products I bought just were overwhelming.

Back in the day my dad added chopped onions into the meat. 

I think I'm going to make burgers this weekend.

I tried that Slaters 50/50 franchise where they use half ground bacon, half ground beef. I had it twice with mixed results. I would have to say it is something to try if you really like burgers.
    ChinaskiTravis
  • Goddamn you @Chinaski this thread is really making me crave a tasty burger.

ChinaskiTravis
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    kingbee67 said:
    Sometimes I add dry onion soup mix to my ground beef. I kinda stop adding things to the meat because it was getting out of hand. Some of the products I bought just were overwhelming.

I tried that Slaters 50/50 franchise where they use half ground bacon, half ground beef. I had it twice with mixed results. I would have to say it is something to try if you really like burgers.
    I used to manage a group home for kids who were removed from their parents' custody. So I did a ton of cooking. Not good cooking, mind you. But I did manage to figure out how to put thinly cut onions in the burger patties and also a bit of cheese at the center of the burger. Sometimes it worked out better than others, but it was a decent meal I thought. 
    ChinaskiTravis
    kingbee67 said:

the only time i add to my meat (ok that sounded weird) is this specific burger recipe i do that people seem to like. i do grated up manchego cheese and finely chopped chives. no need to season it with salt (only pepper) because it gets a really good salty flavor from the cheese.

i mentioned a 50/50 burger earlier.. quite rich and tasty. i don't normally go outta my way to have truffle fires but in this case they paired really well with that specific burger. a turbo decadent meal that's for sure.
    Travis
    has anyone tried these new 'plant based' burgers like the impossible burger or beyond burger? i'm seeing them pop up on menus more and more so i'm little curious now
  • @Chinaski Actually had them just last night. My wife (who is, I suppose a pescatarian, though really a veg functionally because it's pretty rare that she is in the mood for fish) and I have been buying them a lot lately. Our thing for the last month or so is to have sort of mock Big Macs every week or so where we get the Beyond Meat patties and some brioche buns, caramelize some onions and do lettuce, tomatoes and thousand island and cheddar. Good burger. It's not the same as the real thing, but pretty damned close all things considered. A not so discerning palate might actually mistake it. We've had some really great burgers utilizing them from Veggie Grill too. They're pretty legit. 
    Chinaski
  • Chinaski said:
    has anyone tried these new 'plant based' burgers like the impossible burger or beyond burger? i'm seeing them pop up on menus more and more so i'm little curious now
    I've tried the Beyond Burger a couple times, it's not bad, sears up pretty nicely. Be warned that when it's "raw" it seems nasty - kindof like wet cat food. But once cooked it's fine. Way better than the hockey-puck Boca burgers or whatever vegetarians were stuck with 10 yrs ago.
    TravisChinaskiMichelle
    hmmm good to know. i'm gonna give it a try. maybe throw some bacon on it.
    Travis