The Americans - Season 6

Returning at the end of the month - Where does this go?
KingKobraElisa

Comments

• Super excited to see how they wrap this up! Trailer came out today:

FlukesElisahypergenesb
  • To a dark dark place...
    ElisaMrX
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Can't wait for the last season!
  • I'm so nervous about what's going to happen to literally every character.
    MrX
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I will be watching and as usual, getting totally confused by some random thing because I’m kind of slow sometimes and this show can be very dense, then coming to the forum to read @pavlovbell’s comments because she always knows what’s going on and explains it so goobers like me can get it. 

Also, surely Stan has to find out who his neighbours are before it ends. CAN YOU IMAGINE?? 
    MrXElisahypergenesb
  • Dee said:
    I will be watching and as usual, getting totally confused by some random thing because I’m kind of slow sometimes and this show can be very dense, then coming to the forum to read @pavlovbell’s comments because she always knows what’s going on and explains it so goobers like me can get it. 

Also, surely Stan has to find out who his neighbours are before it ends. CAN YOU IMAGINE?? 
    I'm guessing the moment Stan realizes the Jennings' are the Illegals will be something like this:

DeedavemcbElisaFlukes
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @MrX Thas what I’m hoping for! 
    MrXElisa
  • Trailer makes it look like a very interesting final season.

Although, still have some issues with potentially turning Paige into a spy.  Just seems like they decided to randomly change up her character.  We'll see how it plays out.

• Trailer makes it look like a very interesting final season.

Although, still have some issues with potentially turning Paige into a spy.  Just seems like they decided to randomly change up her character.  We'll see how it plays out.

I thought the evolution of her character was done pretty well over the course of a couple seasons. And the actress has proven to be up to the task, imo.
    ElisaKingKobra
  • edited March 13
    Just going to have to agree to disagree about her character.  The way she acted when she found out and the fact that she was telling Pastor Tim about who her parents really are, that's where I have some issues with her now seemingly embracing her parents being USSR spies.  Just seemed like after the attempting mugging or car-jacking (forget precisely what exactly was being attempted) and she saw her mother defend herself, then all of a sudden Paige is like "yeah, I want to be a spy too".
  • Henry is interesting to me - All American kid.  What happens when he finds out?  I think he will be Flynn White 2.0.
    ElisaAshleyOcean
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The final episode of season 5 was set sometime in the late summer of 1984.

This series routinely features cultural references to the period - TV, music, etc.

Predictions for season 6?  Me - Red Dawn was released in August 1984.  Wolverines!!!
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    Since the boys don't cover this show anymore (arggghh) I found a very good podcast called Watching the Americans. There is also another put out by Slate.com and every week it features the two main writers and a special guest like a director or actor. The two leads have appeared on it several times. 
    Elisamajjam0770CourtneyHart
  • JamesJames southern California
    tom_g said:
    The final episode of season 5 was set sometime in the late summer of 1984.

This series routinely features cultural references to the period - TV, music, etc.

Predictions for season 6?  Me - Red Dawn was released in August 1984.  Wolverines!!!
    It's set in 1987. Gorbachev is leader and is in DC to meet with Reagan in December. A clip shown on Colbert last week seemed to reference this as one of Elizabeth's assignments.

I'm interested in how the intelligence bureaucracy is dealing with Glasnost. They are not happy with Gorbachev I'm sure, but does Putin get a mention? I assume it's going to end before the Wall comes down -- it was always too much to hope to see the Jennings adjust to a post-Soviet world, but I was hoping for that...
  • 1987 ... Any bets on what songs are featured this season? Some notable albums that came out in 87 that I could see being used (or I just like them ... it was a pretty damn good music year!):

Michael Jackson - Bad
    U2 - Joshua Tree
    George Michael - Faith
    The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
    Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses

And yes, Fleetwood Mac did have an album come out in 1987 ... I feel like they have to hit us with Stevie Nicks one more time right?

• edited March 29
    [NTSH]
  • Surprised there wasn't any commentary on this episode yet.

I really enjoyed it.  Very interesting to see how much time they've jumped and what the direction they're headed for this season.

While, I still think the Paige becoming a spy thing doesn't fit with her original character, it's going to be interesting to see what happens with her.  Does she end up getting arrested?  What does Henry do/think if he finds out what Paige is doing?  Does Paige end up getting killed or worse, killed by the Russians thinking that she's a loose end that needs to be taken care of?  Or does Paige wake up and realizing that she's fighting on a lie and has some sort of psychological break and worse, kills herself.  Not that I want to see her killed, but in a cruel twist, I could see it happening on this show.

As for Elizabeth and Phillip, going to be interesting to see how this plays out.  Does Phillip actually spy on his wife?  I personally don't see him "stopping" her by any means necessary.  Does Elizabeth end up having to use her new necklace?  Also, should have guessed she was going to kill that guard.  I thought she was just going to knock him out without him seeing her and then take back the ID.  But I suppose it makes sense for her to kill him since he did see Paige's face and could point Paige out if needed.

Lastly, was surprised that Arkady showed back up the way he did.  I don't really recall what he was up to previously.  And interesting to watch Oleg decide that he needs to step up.  Funny how now I'm kind of rooting for him as oppose to his initial introduction into the show.

• I'll try to remember to create one each week.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Poor Henry. I thought he actually became interesting last year. This episode I couldn't even tell if we ever saw his face.
    Pretty smart having Philip retire. Otherwise it would be hard to buy they could keep it from him. I couldn't tell if Elizabeth is supposed to still be at the travel agency or she's just thought to be traveling a lot.

Was really surprised at the time jump. I was interested in seeing how they reacted to Gorbachev's ascension -  glasnost/perestroika and all of that.

Also surprised that this far into Gorbachev's time that Elizabeth would immediately be on board with the assignment. She seems troubled by it, but it's played more as a question of whether she'll commit suicide. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
        Not sure if the cyanide pill is for Elizabeth.  It could be for a high level hit.
  • Elisa said:
        Not sure if the cyanide pill is for Elizabeth.  It could be for a high level hit.
    Its for her, there is no doubt. That’s why he said “you cannot be captured/arrested”.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I doubt she will EVER take it lol.
  • Elisa said:
    I doubt she will EVER take it lol.
    I’m not so sure on that, there is a lot of foretelling going on with the long looks she is giving it and herself. She may not get the chance to take it, but I think she is seriously considering it now. 
  • I'll put money on her taking it/
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    tom_g said:
    I'll put money on her taking it/
    Same. I don’t see how it can end any other way, really. 
  • Dee said:
    tom_g said:
    Her giving to to Paige or Phillip (if she finds out he is spying on her).... 
    Elisa
  • KingKobra said:

My bad, must have missed it when scanning the page.  I'll make sure to do better with following posts on the show.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    KingKobra said:
    Dee said:
    tom_g said:
    Her giving to to Paige or Phillip (if she finds out he is spying on her).... 
     Nah, not unless she was going to murder them, which I couldn’t see even Elizabeth doing. They wouldn’t take it voluntarily - they’re not the true believers she is. I 100% think she’s gonna take that pill at the end of this season.