Play a simple game that I made?

WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
Hey everyone,

I've been taking a course on Udemy.com called "Learn to code by making games" that teaches you how to use Unity, a popular video game making application, and also teaches you how to write code in C#. I'm about half way through the course, which is pretty long; I've been working on it since the start of the year. The game that I just finished working on is a very simple Galaga clone called Laser Defender. It mostly follows the template of things that are taught in the course with the exception of the following things I added, with the gracious assistance of a friend of mine who develops for a living:

1. adding in a Lives system
2. respawning the player ship after it loses a life, with a 2 second delay
3. creating an explosion template with an animation and sound effect
4. attaching that explosion template to the enemy ships and the player ship so that they explode when they die
5. refactoring a lot of code because of the things mentioned above

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think. Clicking the link will open it and let you play it in your browser, nothing to download.

Post screenshots with your high score!

P.S. I know that this is an extremely modest game, but I'm proud of the things I was able to implement, which were mostly through code. I'm not expecting to blow anyone's mind with this game. This is more of a "hey I did a thing that I've never done before and it works!"

Dummy

Comments

• 13,500.  Gauntlet thrown.
    WarpFox
  • I have hopes that the name LaserDefender means it's a version of the old arcade game Defender which I love.  But it doesn't seem to load in chrome, even in incognito mode with extensions dismounted.  Anyone have that problem?

• DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I have hopes that the name LaserDefender means it's a version of the old arcade game Defender which I love.  But it doesn't seem to load in chrome, even in incognito mode with extensions dismounted.  Anyone have that problem?

I left it open by accident because it looked like it wasn't loading and a couple minutes later it was there when I went back to the screen.

WarpFox
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    edited March 24
    Yeah, the gamebucket website is hit or miss, but it's free and it's made specifically for the Unity course I'm taking. I've noticed that several times I've had to let it sit and load before the start screen comes up.

@Doctor_Nick
    way to tear ass! I don't think I've even gotten that high of a score.

Thanks for checking it out!

I've made an updated version here.
    Doctor_Nick
  • edited March 24
    Hey @WarpFox im
    new to the forum and think the code/game is great man. Stick to it and you’ll be a pro in no time!
    WarpFox
  • michielterlouwmichielterlouw Helsinki
    edited March 26
    Boom!

I feel like I could play this game forever until I die of dehydration; I gain more lives than I lose.
    In a next iteration, I think you should think of a mechanism to increase the difficulty over time.
  • I am the Billy Mitchell of Laser Defender!

cdriveKingKobra
  • Jim said:
    I am the Billy Mitchell of Laser Defender!

Who?

• Jim said:

Who?
    C'mon now, everyone's heard of Milly Bitchell.

cdriveChinaskiKingKobra
  • Jim said:
    Jim said:

Who?
    C'mon now, everyone's heard of Milly Bitchell.

Gilly who?

edited March 29
    This thread is the greatest thing ever.
  • Are you guys even trying?

Murderbear
  • Bedtime....

Murderbear
    Thank you, everyone, for testing the game. I've moved on to the next game in the course which is a Plants vs. Zombies clone, but I may one day come back to Laser Defender and add/change some things that people have suggested. I will post an update in this thread if I decide to upload the PvZ clone for testing. You guys rock!
  • Bedtime....

While you were sleeping....