SALADS!!

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
let's hear it! so many options.. to your own creations or to the traditional (Caesar,, Cobb, Wedge, Taco, Chef, Greek etc..). the possibilities are endless, let's go!!
Travis

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 2018
    Trimmed baby asparagus (the skinny ones), fresh green beans topped and tailed. Blanch them in boiling water for a minute, then haul them out with a spider and plunge into a large bowl of iced water. Drain well and drizzle with your best quality extra virgin olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper and sea flakes. Super simple but so good. 
    TravisChinaskiMichelle
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2018
    I love a good salad, but I'm not terribly interesting in that realm. Good old fashioned dark green base with shaved carrots (or if grilled carrots are on the table count me in very emphatically), cherry tomatoes, cukes, olives, onions, baby corn, peas... just give me all the stuff and toss it in some ranch (or maybe some poppyseed dressing if something a little sweeter feels right, really I like most dressings but ranch is the sort of standard go-to. Super original, I know). Put the beets on the side though so I can enjoy them separately. Also, keep those hard boiled eggs the fuck off my plate.

My wife also got me into capreses and I am very grateful for that.
    ChinaskiMichelle
  • MoonMan13MoonMan13 Northern Kentucky
    Ever try to whip up homemade Caesar dressing with the egg yolks and everything? I've had misse success, but when it works it's very good.
    cdriveMichelle
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I love caprese, but don’t consider it a salad (we’re talking about fresh mozz/tomatoes/balsamic right?) 

I am basic with our salads - everyone gets lettuce (iceberg/romaine/red or green leaf) & cucumbers, then I put tomatoes, onions, black olives, maybe peppers if we have them. I like Italian, balsamic or red wine vinegarette. My boys (hubs and son) also like that red wine vinegarette and my girls do ranch.

When eating out I will get a Caesar sometimes - hold the anchovies. If I get a chef hold the eggs (chicken fetuses gag)! I love a good Greek salad - extra feta, give me hubby’s feta too :smile:
    TravisChinaskiMichelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    The best salad I ever had was from a restaurant called Ruggles Green in Houston. There are 2 locations. All their food is organic, so they are $$. This salad is about $15. 

Ingredients:

• Big chunk of goat cheese with baked almonds
    • Optional grilled chicken breast (that you have to cut up)
    • From their menu description: mixed greens, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, sliced apples, parmesan cheese; tossed with our creamy sun-dried tomato vinaigrette with a warm goat cheese medallion and toasted almonds

TravisChinaskiMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm a big fan of just a really good, well made, chef salad loaded with ingredients and all fresh, including freshly hard boiled eggs and freshly cooked bacon (rather than bacon bits)... cheese, diced ham, kidney or garbanzo beans, cucumber, red cabbage, a really great ranch dressing... yum.

I'm also partial to Applebee's southwest steak salad... perfectly marinated and grilled steak (cubed), black beans, grilled corn kernels, crispy tortilla strips, all over shredded greens with a cilantro-ranch dressing.  SO good.

My third favorite is a great pear/gorgonzola salad.
    TravisChinaskiNaugustine
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I'd say the one salad that calls to me the most is the BLT Wedge with chunky blue cheese dressing.  nom nom nom.

Also, I don't know if anyone has ever eaten at a Buca di Beppo, but man.....that chopped antipasto salad?! *chef's kiss*

JaimieTTravisChinaskikingbee67KingKobraMichelletom_gNaugustine
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    cdrive said:
    I'd say the one salad that calls to me the most is the BLT Wedge with chunky blue cheese dressing.  nom nom nom.

Also, I don't know if anyone has ever eaten at a Buca di Beppo, but man.....that chopped antipasto salad?! *chef's kiss*

that'sa one good looking BLT wedge sir. i'd be all over that with a chunky goat cheese ranch (instead of blue cheese) and chopped up avocado.
    cdriveMichelle
    MoonMan13 said:
    Ever try to whip up homemade Caesar dressing with the egg yolks and everything? I've had misse success, but when it works it's very good.
    And by "everything" you mean the anchovies too right?  ;)   

It's good but man if you get the anchovy ratio wrong......

ChinaskiMichelle
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Blue cheese dressing = Kens Steak House or Bobs Big Boy for store bought. I like Chris And Pits Blue cheese when I eat there.
    cdrive
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    I make a lot of taco salads, it’s easy to make a big bowl and have three work lunches, ground beef, seasoning, romaine lettuce, 1 bell pepper (I like red) , can of olives, and cherry tomatoes. 
    Michelle
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bringing this back!  I had the *best* Elaine Benes-style big salad for dinner tonight.  Greens, shredded carrots, chickpeas, egg, broccoli, cheese,  sprouts, blueberries, pine nuts, bacon bits, diced ham, and fat-free ranch.  Oh, soooo good.  Does anyone have any other great salad 'recipes' aside from the ones already posted?  An amazing salad is one of my favorite things ever.
    Chinaski
    edited April 9
    funny you say that.. sent my sister this earlier today.. right up my alley! https://people.com/food/ina-garten-parmesan-chicken-recipe/

edit: lemon, parm, chicken.. drool!
    Michelle
    edited April 9
    Chinaski said:
    funny you say that.. sent my sister this earlier today.. right up my alley! https://people.com/food/ina-garten-parmesan-chicken-recipe/

Oh wow, that looks so delicious!  It's definitely going to be dinner this week sometime.  Thanks!  :)  Have you made it yet or is that the first time you'd seen it?  (just wondering how it was, if so)
    If you like strawberries, oranges, goat cheese, or all three - these look reallllly good:
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/214229/spring-strawberry-salad-with-chicken/
    http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/cara-cara-orange-chicken-goat-cheese-salad/
    Chinaski
    Michelle said:
    Chinaski said:

Oh wow, that looks so delicious!  It's definitely going to be dinner this week sometime.  Thanks!  :)  Have you made it yet or is that the first time you'd seen it?  (just wondering how it was, if so)
    If you like strawberries, oranges, goat cheese, or all three - these look reallllly good:
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/214229/spring-strawberry-salad-with-chicken/
    http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/cara-cara-orange-chicken-goat-cheese-salad/
    dang, those look good! i love me some goat cheese. my sister does this really good one with pomegranate seeds, goat cheese, candied walnuts and a champagne vinaigrette.

i just read about that one i posted yesterday, so i've never tried it. def has my attention.
    Michelle
    edited April 9
    Chinaski said:
    dang, those look good! i love me some goat cheese. my sister does this really good one with pomegranate seeds, goat cheese, candied walnuts and a champagne vinaigrette.
    Omgosh, that sounds so yum.  I may have to get a great salad for lunch, inspired by this or last night's!  :)
    (and I agree, goat cheese is a-ma-zing)
    Speaking of goat cheese, I know this is a salad thread, *but* if you like apricots:  slice an apricot down the middle lengthwise and remove the pit.  Stuff the middle with crumbled goat cheese.  Bake or grill for just a little while, long enough to melt the cheese slightly (5 minutes?). Drizzle with balsamic.  It's heaven.
    Today’s lunch, definitely inspired: spring mix greens, strawberries, goat cheese, caramelized mixed nuts, and light champagne vinaigrette.  Oh.my.god.

ChinaskiKela15
    nicely done. looks delicious!
    Michelle
    Chinaski said:
    nicely done. looks delicious!
    Thanks!  It was beyond.  :)   
    @Chinaski we need you to make a BBQ thread to balance out all this salad! 
    MichelleChinaski
    cdrive said:
    Haha, right?  It's been a minute since we've had a new food-centered thread.  @Chinaski, I promise I won't turn it into anything involving pineapple.  :wink: :smile:
    Chinaski
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    This is really dumb but does all ceaser dressing have anchovies in it or does it usually specify? I used to eat ceaser salads all the time but now its all I can think about when I order one
    This is really dumb but does all ceaser dressing have anchovies in it or does it usually specify? I used to eat ceaser salads all the time but now its all I can think about when I order one
    I never really knew, or sort of knew but it didn’t matter UNTIL on my only cruise experience I ordered a late night room service Caesar salad. Had been ordering a few of them during the cruise but this time it was off. Man they messed up the ratio of anchovie that night so bad in their fresh Caesar dressing. It got me gagging. Rather than in the background as “je ne sais quoi” it was way out in the forefront.  I would never want to make fresh Caesar dressing. Give me the fake / flavor industry Caesar dressing.  But to answer the question - yeah, classic Caesar dressing includes anchovy paste. 
    bizmarkiefader
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    cdrive said:
    I never really knew, or sort of knew but it didn’t matter UNTIL on my only cruise experience I ordered a late night room service Caesar salad. Had been ordering a few of them during the cruise but this time it was off. Man they messed up the ratio of anchovie that night so bad in their fresh Caesar dressing. It got me gagging. Rather than in the background as “je ne sais quoi” it was way out in the forefront.  I would never want to make fresh Caesar dressing. Give me the fake / flavor industry Caesar dressing.  But to answer the question - yeah, classic Caesar dressing includes anchovy paste. 

That's actually the same thing that happened to me. It was extremely fishy and that's when I looked up what ceaser dressing actually is. I have a heavy aversion to seafood and knowing what's in it I just can't do it anymore.
    cdrive
    cdrive said:
    done my dude! 
    cdrive
  • Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    Haha, right?  It's been a minute since we've had a new food-centered thread.  @Chinaski, I promise I won't turn it into anything involving pineapple.  :wink: :smile:
    Pineapple grilled on a smoker is wonderful! 
    CapeGabeChinaskiMichelle
    Michelle said:
    cdrive said:
    Pineapple grilled on a smoker is wonderful! 
    just to be clear.. not a pineapple hater, just allergic. in no way do i want pineapple lovers to come down my lane :D
    NaugustineMichelle
  • Not a salad but this is one of my favorite spring veggie recipes - pasta primavera with a light lemony sauce.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/how-to-make-pasta-primavera.html

Chinaski