Barry (Spoilers)

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
edited March 26 in Other TV
series premier tonight on HBO. anyone plan on checking out? reviews have been for the most part positive. i'll be checking out.
JoshuaHeterFreddy

Comments

• I'll definitely be checking it out. Like you said it's had good reviews, and I'm a Bill Hader fan.
    Chinaski
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited March 26
    Lol I love that they did the bonkers Gary Oldman scene from True Romance in the acting class, complete with the dreads and accent.

Great cast, solid pilot, I'll keep watching and see where it goes.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    MrX said:
    Lol I love that they did the bonkers Gary Oldman scene from True Romance in the acting class, complete with the dreads and accent.

Great cast, solid pilot, I'll keep watching and see where it goes.
    holy shit! right? yeah, i'm all in for this show! excellent foundation pilot imo.

Image result for all in gif
    JoshuaHeterMrXcdriveFreddy
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    ... I'll be tuning in again, for sure.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I have yet to check it out, but I am glad to hear people are digging it. I am down. 
  • Should we tag this thread for spoilers?

By the way we were just discussing character actors in another thread and my pick was Stephen Root ... and here we are with Root perfectly cast as a goofy yet menacing assassin-boss.

Henry Winkler is also great in this, loved his first scene where he was tearing down Sally to get her to do the scene better. And then his scene in the car with Barry, good stuff.

D'Arcy Carden (from The Good Place) is also on the acting class, I hope she gets more screen time on future episodes.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I liked it. 
    Hader makes me think of Micheal Shannon. 
    I think that’s the most normal of a person Root has ever played.
    The Winkler character has to have some back story where he played a part on TV like the Fonz.

edited April 16
    hot damn! i'm loving this show! Barry's 'Glengarry Glen Ross' bit was pretty fantastic  :D

edit: and a jon hamm cameo? cherry on top!

Underwood
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 16
    Finally caught up, I'm still really digging this show. The last episode especially packed a lot of great stuff into 22 minutes: the whole dinner scene w/ Gene & Det. Moss ... Barry's face when Fuches shows up at the party (Bill Hader has the best facial expressions in the business) ... the running joke about the mocap cgi live action Pinocchio ...  ... Barry's party outfit ... also happy to see D'Arcy Carden get more screen time.

And then Sally's arc was devastating, especially with all the Weinstein stuff and stories about young actresses trying to break through and being preyed on by men in positions of power.

Also, it was just announced last week that it got renewed for season 2! 

• If you listen to The Watch podcast and like Barry this should be good:

Chinaski
    @MrX - and how about NoHo? the texts he sends Barry and Barry's reaction :D. oh and the whole bullet and DHL coordination killed me!
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 18
    Chinaski said:
    @MrX - and how about NoHo? the texts he sends Barry and Barry's reaction :D. oh and the whole bullet and DHL coordination killed me!
    Yes! Everything about NoHo is great: his use of emojis, his outfits, and he just wants to be buds with Barry.

Chinaski
    'What can I say, man? I'm a gearhead. I love gak,'

MrX
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    His "gulp" emoji almost had me rolling on the floor laughing.
    ChinaskiMrX
    fidoz said:
    His "gulp" emoji almost had me rolling on the floor laughing.
    haha i took a pic of that and texted it to a few buddies that are into the show  :D
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Chinaski said:
    'What can I say, man? I'm a gearhead. I love gak,'

That had me in stitches. 
  • It's amazing how this show has some of the funniest one-liners in tv this year also had an intense and uniquely shot/directed action scene, all in the same 30 min episode. Puts a lot of hour+ long dramas to shame with it's efficiency ... It's really such a tightly written and directed show.

Also Stephen Root is crazy good, as always, but especially this last episode.
    Chinaskirusskelly
  • Man, this show is really solid. I hope it gets some recognition. 

Barry is a great central character. You'd never think there could be a genuinely nice person who's also a contract killing ex-marine, but Hader sells it.

Also, the show does a good job of realistically portraying the underbelly of Hollywood, particularly the pretension of the acting profession, the narcissistic struggling actors, and the predatory nature of it all.

Sally is really well written, i.e. she's really annoying and self-obsessed, and she serves as an excellent foil to Hader's bashful humility.

I can't wait to finish the season, and I'm happy it's been renewed for season 2.
    Chinaski
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited April 30
    This show is soooooo good! I watched Westworld last night, listened to the boys on the Live React, and the timing worked out so that right when I turned back to live HBO, it was literally the last five seconds of this episode. Which has a crazy ending that I won't mention yet just in case but damn! I love this show!
    DummyDrKenFreddyChinaskirusskelly
    dang, tonight's episode was intense. season finale next week! can't wait!
    DummyMrXrusskelly
  • Damn, shit got heavy.
    ChinaskiMrX
  • MrXMrX CO
    Wow. It's amazing how intense and heartwrenching this show can be and still cause me to laugh out loud. It's really turned into one of my favorite shows of the year.
    Chinaski
    the 'On the next episode of Barry..' looks bonkers. will be interesting how they're going to fit some much in and wrap it up in one episode (esp if it's only 30 mins). 
    MrX
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Man didn’t see that coming! I thought to dark but I guess not. The part with the girl during her performance was great. I know that I liked this show but I’ve been more into the just ok Silicon Valley. I think this show has moved up. 

Silicon Valley = Entourage = Ballers < Barry 
    MrX
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    edited May 8
    This show is awesome.  I say it's the second best show on right now behind Handmaid's Tale. But about the last episode, what was Barry's friend thinking was going to happen when his psychotic friend asks him to help kill a bunch of Bolivians? I dunno, maybe he thought it was airfoil guns or whatever it's called.

Chinaski
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    NoHo Hank is the best character on television.
    Chinaskikingbee67manhattnik
    NoHo Hank is the best character on television.
    can't bring this up enough.. it will forever make me chuckle..

Image result for noho hank gulp
    MurderbearMrXkingbee67fidoz
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    This show is the best, and this weekend's episode made me respect it so much.  Barry so far had avoided making a clear cut wrong decision, and having him have to execute his facebook friend because he spared the other marine... just wow.  And him working through the ensuing visualizations of his friend's wife getting the phone call and the kid's reaction... The show is really funny, and yet still capable of gut shots out of no where.

Can Barry stay likable?  Is that a problem for a Bill Hader comedy vehicle? 
    russkellyMrXChinaskiThegelatoking
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    I don't think this is a Bill Hader comedy vehicle. I think it's Bill Hader's transition beyond comedy. 
    ChinaskiMrXDummy
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I just started episode one. I'm 7 minutes in... this is fantastic! I'm so picky with comedies, so it's rare to have laughed so much already. I'm glad J/A plugged it so much in the latest Lunch. 
    ChinaskiMrX