Deleting Facebook

In light of the recent events that have emerged regarding the sharing of data and invasion of privacy from Facebook, I'm pulling the trigger and deleting my account. I had accepted that there was some data sharing and they used it to tailor ads to you, but I wasnt aware that they track your web browsing history and cell phone calls and messages. Just seems like a step to far. 

I found some good resources for anyone wanting to do the same including how to change your privacy settings and app data. I guess if you request your account to be deleted, there is a 2 week "processing" period and if you, someone else, or an app that you granted authorization to does a data collection or a "soft hit" on your account it will cancel the deletion request. 

I also found it pretty easy to download all of my photos and data onto a USB drive. 

The only drawback that will take some getting used to is I currently use messenger for 70% of my communication, so I'll need a new method (besides regular texting).

http://fortune.com/2018/03/24/how-to-delete-your-facebook-account-and-why-its-so-hard-to-do/

https://deletefacebook.com/guide/

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10203598776639562

ghm3Chinaskihypergenesb

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Good for you.

I have Messenger on my phone but not the Facebook app. I'm hoping that delivers me from some data collection... but of course Facebook gets all my computer web browsing since I'm logged in. 

I really hope Facebook stops being THE social networking platform, and we see more variety. As for messaging people, whatever happened to phone numbers and email? Sigh.
  • JaimieT said:
    Good for you.

I have Messenger on my phone but not the Facebook app. I'm hoping that delivers me from some data collection... but of course Facebook gets all my computer web browsing since I'm logged in. 

I really hope Facebook stops being THE social networking platform, and we see more variety. As for messaging people, whatever happened to phone numbers and email? Sigh.
    Same-- I had deleted the app about 6 months ago and just used Messenger. I usually have a defeatist attitude about things like this but I feel like it's just rewarding bad behavior-- even though me deleting it wouldnt even be a blip on their radar.

JaimieT
  • I would be that Messenger gets all your phone metadata.

JaimieT said:
    Good for you.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    gguenot said:
    JaimieT said:
    Good for you.

Same-- I had deleted the app about 6 months ago and just used Messenger. I usually have a defeatist attitude about things like this but I feel like it's just rewarding bad behavior-- even though me deleting it wouldnt even be a blip on their radar.

Same for me. When I had Facebook, I can't recall many visits to Facebook where I ended up feeling better than before I visited. I think many people automatically compare their lives to their friends' happy photos and tend to end up feeling shitty. Or at least I did. I want to still talk to people and be available for friends who may try to find me, so Messenger works just fine for that.

But as @Doctor_Nick says, I am sure data is being shared from my phone. 
    gguenot
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited March 27
    Yeah, I'm torn about this. Part of me is pissed, another part says screw it, I'm sure every other app, website and phone carrier I use is selling all my data too so what's the point?

It sucks that it's still a useful tool for a band or anyone else looking to promote their own stuff. If I didn't run the social media for my bands, I'd probably leave too.
    ElisaChinaskigguenotKingKobra
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I kinda agree with @Murderbear - this is our new reality.  If you use Amazon, Google, Netflix, Facebook, any of these conglomerates...they got you.

What to do. What to do.

TaraC73
  • Isn't the messenger part of it only if you synced your contacts from your phone?

I never sync with any apps so I didn't think there was a risk.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    what percentage of american's 18-50 do you guys think have never been on FB? well. i'm in that percentage and totally ok with it.
  • Isn't the messenger part of it only if you synced your contacts from your phone?

You may be correct, but I’m under the impression that the information revealed said that whether synced or not, it’s tracked your calls and messages sent outside of the app
    Elisa
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Chinaski said:
    what percentage of american's 18-50 do you guys think have never been on FB? well. i'm in that percentage and totally ok with it.
    You are my hero. I actually remember being in college in Central California. I was at my graduation with a co-student. We were just making conversation and she asked to add me on Facebook. I legitimately said "What is a Facebook?"
  • The only reason I'm on Facebook is because everything that used to be a forum is now a Facebook Group, which is super annoying because Facebook to me seems to be the worst possible interface for that type of thing. 

Thought it was annoying before when somebody new on the forum would ask the same question once a week? On Facebook it's every few hours. Any interesting topics quickly disappear into the aether of the internet until the next go around. Search function is usually minimally helpful at best. Half the time I can't find a post somebody made the previous day let alone months or years later. I guess it's feasible to work for a social type forum like this as a FB group, but try and use it for anything that would be a technical or hobbyist type of information exchange and it's a nightmare, I don't understand the appeal...

Other than my (real but admittedly quite generic) name on my FB account there's no other info. I don't have any friends™, I don't follow anybody, nobody follows me. I'm in a handful of groups just so I can ask questions and answer questions, but again, that's what a forum used to be for...  

Reni
  • I never created a Facebook account and have never once felt like I was missing out by not having it. I joined Friendster because my friends told me to and then I promptly never used it, then everyone told me to get a Myspace and I never used that, so when it happened all over again with Facebook I finally just noped out. 

This is only our 'new reality' because we allow it by keeping an account even after knowing what is happening. If there was actually a mass exodus resulting in this and billions of dollars went up in smoke, the industry would listen loud and clear. When they basically do whatever the fuck they want and our response is, "meh that's just how the world is now" they'll just keep doubling down, why wouldn't they? 

Also, what Facebook is doing with your data is not the same as what Google and Amazon, etc. are doing. They don't sell information about you because one of your friends (not even you) took a quick little quiz to see which Pokemon they'd be or whatever. Here's an interesting article about how Facebook helped an autocrat stay in power after shutting down the free press: 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-12-07/how-rodrigo-duterte-turned-facebook-into-a-weapon-with-a-little-help-from-facebook

• Yeah, I'm torn about this. Part of me is pissed, another part says screw it, I'm sure every other app, website and phone carrier I use is selling all my data too so what's the point?

It sucks that it's still a useful tool for a band or anyone else looking to promote their own stuff. If I didn't run the social media for my three bands, I'd probably leave too.
    At this point they already have you. It’s more symbolic than anything. I stay in touch with family and distant friends with FB, but rarely use it now. Of course deleting is some ways the opposite of what you want to do. Really what folks should be doing is flooding time lines with “protests” to these policies. If you go away 10 other folks internationals join to make up for you. 

You also have to start paying if you don’t want companies to make money if if your data, which I’m not sure anyone wants to do. These companies have to make money and since these apps are “free” they make money of the data they gather which is very useful to advertisers. 
    gguenot said:
    Isn't the messenger part of it only if you synced your contacts from your phone?

You may be correct, but I’m under the impression that the information revealed said that whether synced or not, it’s tracked your calls and messages sent outside of the app
    I believe this was for android only as far as sms text, etc go. 
    ElisaMurderbear
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    I was already kinda thinking about deleting mine. I had essentially unfriended half my friends anyway over political posts so when all this recent shit came out I said fuck it, I’m out. It’s been 2 days and I haven’t missed it yet. 
    Dee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I’m not deleting mine.  I use Facebook to keep in touch with family and friends all over California etc.  I adjusted my app settings and deleted all of the apps that I don’t actively use.  That’s as far as I’m going.  I agree with others - Facebook isn’t the only app that tailors their ads etc. to your history, and I’m nowhere near going off the grid. 

@Chinaski - no social media at all???  I’m in awe in the best way.  You have way more willpower than I do.
    Elisa
    i just never had a desire tbh. i've gotten alot of grief from friends and family over the years but it's never bothered me. in fact i've never really done any social media. i guess the closest thing is this Nextdoor Neighborhood thing where people in my hood 'look out for eachother (crime n such), complain, and sell or giveaway lousy crap... but even that is a bit much for me.

Michelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Chinaski said:
    i just never had a desire tbh. i've gotten alot of grief from friends and family over the years but it's never bothered me. in fact i've never really done any social media. i guess the closest thing is this Nextdoor Neighborhood thing where people in my hood 'look out for eachother (crime n such), complain, and sell or giveaway lousy crap... but even that is a bit much for me.

Okay, settle down Grandad, your tea’s ready and then we can watch Midsomer Murders. 
    ChinaskiMichellecdriveFlukes
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I have one I can’t delete because they asked me to upload ID and I refused so they blocked my access. Multiple requests to them to delete it for me have fallen on deaf ears. I did without using it after that for a few years but it became annoying because as mentioned above, so many forums now have moved to FB groups (and yes, I hate that format too). So I have another, and I hate it, but I’m still there. 

It always creeps me out when I’ve, say, googled eyelash curlers (and my google account is not the same email address as my FB) and then suddenly all these ads for eyelash curlers and related whatnots will start showing up in my timeline. 
    Dee said:
    Chinaski said:

Okay, settle down Grandad, your tea’s ready and then we can watch Midsomer Murders. 
    it's A Touch of Frost.. thank you very much! now keep the bloody racket down!
    Michellehisdudeness915Deecdrive
  • Dee said:
    It always creeps me out when I’ve, say, googled eyelash curlers (and my google account is not the same email address as my FB) and then suddenly all these ads for eyelash curlers and related whatnots will start showing up in my timeline. 
    https://adssettings.google.com

Dunno how this interacts specifically with Facebook but it's Google Adsense so it should affect most of what you see on the internet. Also, install uBlock Origin if you haven't already (Chrome, Firefox, Edge).

Dee
  • My friend said “if it’s free, you’re the product”
    Elisahisdudeness915TaraC73akritenbrink
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    Chinaski said:
    Dee said:
    Chinaski said:

it's A Touch of Frost.. thank you very much! now keep the bloody racket down!
    A touch of frost Should’ve been a much more popular show, I loved it. That should be a BMTV commission 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Friendster and livejournal were simpler days 
    gguenotMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @cdrive I miss Livejournal. *Gen X sigh* 
    MichelleApril_May_Junecdrive
    Dee said:
    ok, settle down grandma, your warm milk and anzac biscuits are ready and then we can watch Neighbours on the VHS :p
    MichelleDeeApril_May_JuneFreddycdrive
  • Chinaski said:
    Dee said:
    ok, settle down grandma, your warm milk and anzac biscuits are ready and then we can watch Neighbours on the VHS :p
    Listen here, careful how you talk to elders, you’ll be one sooner than you’d like :p 
    ChinaskiDeeMichelle
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Chinaski So close! But Milo, not hot milk. Always Milo. And bonus points for biscuit rather than cookie. :-D
    Chinaski
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    You trying to tell me I should get rid of the best tool for having sex with old high school peers that has ever been invented? Yeah... Fuck that. I'll take my chances.
    emnofseattleTaraC73akritenbrink
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 27
    Better delete your Baldmove account because they can sell your data to whoever. 

They know now if you pay for content by commenting on the VIP section.

they know which shows you follow based on which subs you comment on.

thus they know what you like and do not like.

they know your location based on your profile.

they have your contact details.  

They know everything.

cancel your baldmove now!

on the real. I work for a data capture company. Every interaction you have can potentially be collected and used. My advice is...

1. Keep as much personal details private as possible. Such as work, email, college, photos, etc
    2. Don’t use your real name and have a burner email
    3. Turn off all sharing controls from sites
    4. Understand that you cannot control everything
    5. Decide if you really want to be invisible or not and if so delete everything. Including any social account which unforuntatly includes baldmove. 
    MurderbearFreddyTaraC73
  • 99% of what I do on Facebook could be done by email. It's just email for narcissists IMO.

Also, I don't believe any of these social media sites actually destroy your data when you close your account.

ghm3