Deleting Facebook

2»

Comments

• @Hatorian As I've said above though, they're not all equal. On the face of it don't really care about data collection itself, I care about what's collected of course, but how and why/what's done with it is at least as important. Data is amoral; there's nothing good or bad about it, it's what is done with it that matters.

It may still barely not quite be real yet today, but the idea of your health insurance premiums going up or being denied coverage for something because you ordered your family take-out one too many times or bought one more box of sugary cereal than Kaiser's algorithm likes is very much a possibility, and pretty damn dsytopian IMO.

That last sentence actually just reminded me of a super old Youtube video about basically just this, an obviously exaggerated yet very possibly achievable example of how our data could be abused:

My impression of Facebook is that they would looooove to be the personal data vendor for this sort of fucked up use of personal information.

Unlike Facebook, Google does not sell your personal information. This is an enormous distinction that I don't think can be overstated.  You can go to https://privacy.google.com/ and learn what Google is doing in a clear up-front manner, and take some control over it. 

I don't have a Facebook account so I can't say with certainty, but I highly doubt Facebook has something this clear, and I've heard for years about how they intentionally obfuscate account management and privacy settings. I think the idea of some company posting a quiz and collecting your data if you fill it out is pretty straightforward, but frankly I was blown away to learn that they will also collect data from everyone on the quiz-taker's friends list as well. That your data can be collected by/for some third party because not you, but someone on your friends list filled out some survey or quiz, is completely insane to me, and agreeing to this in paragraph 12 subsection B of the 8pt font EULA is, in my opinion, complete bullshit.

I don't know how valuable my specific data is to Google, but I'm one of those weirdos that would gladly pay them $100 a year or so for a fully ad-free and private account with maybe a few extra features/better support. But that's obviously the opposite of Google's business model so not likely to ever be offered. 
    gguenot
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Dee said:
    @Chinaski So close! But Milo, not hot milk. Always Milo. And bonus points for biscuit rather than cookie. :-D

What the hell is Milo?  The only Milo I know of is Ventimiglia, and I'll take him any way I can get him.  :grin:
    MurderbearElisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It's a shame, because I have to use Facebook to essentially stay in touch with my mom's family, and run this business.  Last year I deleted Facebook off my phone, and I never installed the goddamn messenger app because I noped out as soon as accessing my contacts and text history was a mandatory privilege requirement.  

I really wish I could teach my aunts and uncles some new tricks, or think I could count on getting invited to family get together events if I jumped ship.  So I just really prune my friend lists and limit what I make available and hope for the best.  We're in the robber baron cycle of the internet right now, and it's going to be a decade or two before it gets straightened out.  Or I suppose I should say if it get straightened out.
    ghm3Michelle
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    It's a shame, because I have to use Facebook to essentially stay in touch with my mom's family, and run this business.  Last year I deleted Facebook off my phone, and I never installed the goddamn messenger app because I noped out as soon as accessing my contacts and text history was a mandatory privilege requirement.  

I really wish I could teach my aunts and uncles some new tricks, or think I could count on getting invited to family get together events if I jumped ship.  So I just really prune my friend lists and limit what I make available and hope for the best.  We're in the robber baron cycle of the internet right now, and it's going to be a decade or two before it gets straightened out.  Or I suppose I should say if it get straightened out.

It's just so fucking ironic because this thing was rolled out for college students, when I was in college, and I resented when it opened to high school students, then everyone, because why does grandma even need that kind of networking visibility? Grandma's all set, socially. But now you can't get grandma off of it, and the initial demographic has moved on. 

Maybe it's the social networking equivalent of email scams, preying on the technically illiterate.
    ghm3
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited March 2018
    Michelle said:
    Dee said:
    @Chinaski So close! But Milo, not hot milk. Always Milo. And bonus points for biscuit rather than cookie. :-D

What the hell is Milo?  The only Milo I know of is Ventimiglia, and I'll take him any way I can get him.  :grin:
    It’s a chocolate-y powder you put in milk, an Aussie icon. It doesn’t fully dissolve so you mix it and then eat all the Milo off the top before drinking the chocolate milk. 

Michelle
  • I deleted my Facebook about 10 days ago and my Instagram today . Wonder if those apps you mentioned stopped my deletion request
    gguenot
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I’ve got my FB set to private, once in a while I will make a post public. I have cut back on those quizzes and funny surveys, if they ask for permission to do anything I don’t allow it and don’t do them. I realize that doesn’t stop the data collecting, but it limits who sees and doesn’t see my shit.

I use messenger app too, albeit sparingly. I have an iPhone though and supposedly the biggest breaches with that app is with android. Remember a while back when they started making it mandatory that you get the messenger app? That’s why - it’s all about the money for douchebag zuckerburg.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • I read about this yesterday and might give it a try: https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/facebook-container-extension/ 
    I don't know how effective it will be, but it seems like it could help with limiting the tracking. As much as I'd like to delete them both, I kind of need Facebook and Instagram for business purposes as an independent artist, so I think I'm just going to have try to limit and manage the best I can and hope for the best. It's all pretty aggravating. 
    gguenot
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited March 2018
    So, not the same thing at all but sort of related. It just has to do with technology being creepy and invasive. I was texting with a friend a while ago and I had mentioned the next day I had planned on hanging out with my roommate.

Later that day I went into my calendar to make an entry for a band thing and I see this: 

Siri saw that I had said that and took the liberty of suggesting I make a calendar entry. I had no idea she was reading my stuff. I of course immediately turned that off because it's super creepy!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @Murderbear Wtf! Glad I have never used Siri now. 
  • See, that sort of stuff doesn't bother me (although since I use gmail, google contacts, and google calendar on my phone, I get stuff like confirmation emails about appointments automatically getting pulled into my calendar, etc). It makes perfect sense that the native iOS calendar app can pull data from iMessage, another native app, to try and make your life easier. 

The issue isn't with one app being able to access other parts of your phone per se - there's a lot of usefulness and time-saving that can come from these features - the issue is that so many companies are lax with data security at best or actively selling your info at worst, and that way to many programs do not clearly tell you what data they are collecting and what they are doing with it. That's where facebook failed - they didn't tell you their app would put tendrils into every part of your phone, at least not clearly, and then fell way down in properly securing data - forget how shady cambridge analytica or whatever was, how in god's name was it that a friend downloading a personality quiz app enabled that app to collect data from you? That was the insane part - no partitioning at all, apparently. 

I am very glad I stopped using facebook in about 2008, although not because I had some prescience about data misuse - I just never found it useful or engaging. 
    TaraC73
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    edited June 2018
    FACEBOOK BREAK! I'm taking a week off facebook. In light of recent political discussions, I have to step back. My nerves cant take it. I'll be back, tho. Facebook is still mostly good and full of cute baby picks and dogs petting other dogs. So how are you guys doing with facebook? To people that "don't do" facebook, what do you do on the internet?
    xoxo, Russel Almario Kelly.
  • For a while I've been getting these annoying, fake, spam messages from Facebook. I mean, it looks like somebody has messaged me, but when I check it's just a message from Facebook saying something like "you should send a friend request to so-and-so". This is the final nail in the coffin for me. Seems like the only way to stop the spam is to uninstall all Facebook software, block emails from Facebook, and delete my cookies.
    russkelly
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Facebook to me now is the lame wine Mum of social media. I have muted all my most egregious relatives, so now I just get co-workers posting inspirational quotes over a photo of some yoga chick on a beach, or “funny” (not funny) memes about Mondays. 

I had to stop using Twitter though; as much as I find it a useful tool for news, knowing about so much of what was going on in the world was making me angry ALL THE TIME. 
    russkelly
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Dee said:
    Facebook to me now is the lame wine Mum of social media. I have muted all my most egregious relatives, so now I just get co-workers posting inspirational quotes over a photo of some yoga chick on a beach, or “funny” (not funny) memes about Mondays. 

I had to stop using Twitter though; as much as I find it a useful tool for news, knowing about so much of what was going on in the world was making me angry ALL THE TIME. 
    What you described with twitter is what my facebook is like sort of. I have weeded out all the racists and bigots, but it's still floating in indirectly through friends sharing "other 98%" and Shaun King posts. I know the world is on fire. I don't want to be reminded of it. I gave up on NPR, as have many other people, because I don't want a daily horror briefing. With face book, I usually just scroll past it, but lately i've been "reading the comments" I actually felt something like a panic attack come on. I rarely engage but I've caught myself doing it and it's stressing me out. So hopefully I'll take a break and come back to talking about video games and my kid again.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @akritenbrink I don’t use my full name because my surname is unusual and I don’t want every goober I went to school with trying to friend me. 

I’m a literal lame wine mum - I don’t do the inspirational quotes, but I’m a Mum who more often than not has a glass of wine in hand, and according to Lil, I’m pretty lame. I am basically Linda Belcher. 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited June 2018
    @russkelly I made a resolution this year not to read or watch news. Every now and then I slip and skim The Guardian, but mostly I have stuck to it, and it is so much more peaceful. 

I also go through phases where I will delete all social media apps off my phone (where I do 90% of my mindless internetting) for a couple of weeks. You have to have a strong sense of self esteem though, because for me at least, no one ever notices when I’m gone, lol. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @akritenbrink I don’t want all my ex school friends knowing I do nothing with my life, lol. And I couldn’t care less what any of them are doing. 

Theres an author with my surname and I’ve always wanted to email her and ask if we are related but I don’t read her books and I tried one once and didn’t like it, so I feel bad about that, lol. 
    Dee said:
    @akritenbrink I don’t want all my ex school friends knowing I do nothing with my life, lol. And I couldn’t care less what any of them are doing. 

Theres an author with my surname and I’ve always wanted to email her and ask if we are related but I don’t read her books and I tried one once and didn’t like it, so I feel bad about that, lol. 

Speaking as a writer, we know and love way more people who don't like our writing than do, lol.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Dee said:

What are you talking about? You are a very important MOD on a FORUM lol 

My sister did one of those DNA tests (talk about privacy issues) and it found a Kritenbrink a couple states away from where we grew up that was distantly related, along with some other people who only showed usernames. One time  years ago when I was working in retail and folks still wrote checks, a guy came through with a check and his FIRST AND LAST NAME were the same as my uncle's, I almost thought he stole my uncle's checkbook, but the address was in a different suburb. So then I said... Wow that's my last name too... and he told me that he had been told there were some Kritenbrink brothers a few generations back that had a falling out and scattered to the four winds, basically. This guy was in a family of Kritenbrinks that grew up in the same metro area as us but maybe 30 miles away, who we had always known about because they were the only ones in the phone book we didn't know, haha.  But when we asked my dad about these other phone book Kritenbrinks, he was just like "no, they aren't related, end of topic." I asked my dad about this story and he said it was nonsense, but it's hard to believe that when our name is so uncommon, and my dad is a difficult contrarian. So it was really interesting to hear that the DNA test found that cousin.

Speaking of privacy, when I was a kid you could just look up your crush's parents in the phonebook and take a leisurely stroll past his house. Not that my friends and I ever did that kind of thing, NOPE LOL
    And ring their number just to hear them say “Hello” and then quickly hang up. Not that I would ever have done that myself... 
  • Damn this thread was revived quick
    There should be an Onion article about Facebook overcoming its privacy issues but now struggling to keep users on account of no one liking their friends.
    Deegguenot