Some new details on Amazon’s LOTR series

edited April 5 in Other TV
http://www.slashfilm.com/lord-of-the-rings-tv-show-budget/

Per the report, they have a 5 year commitment, if production starts within 2 years. The big one is that they could have a budget close to $1 billion. 
ElisaJovial_FalconTaraC73NoobieDooz

Comments

• walktheskywalkthesky New York
    Can’t help but feel excited for this. I’ve read the simillarion a couple times. So much to pull from that book. 
    ElisaPangs
  • What is a $200 million season in context?  A quick search tells me GOT is about $10 million per episode.  LOTR seems 1.75 to 2 x greater.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited April 5
    I'm in!  This is totally Amazon's version of GOT.
    KingKobraJovial_Falcon
  • edited April 5
    The Fellowship of the Ring: 93 million
    The Two Towers: 94 million
    The Return of the King: 94 million

~9 hours = ~300 million or ~30mil/hour

5 seasons x 10 episodes = 500 hours

None of this means anything. I'm just spitting numbers out... Plus these are 15 year old numbers.

Also, movies ≠ tv. 

Ignore me. 
  • This has a lot of potential.  I'll be curious to see where they go with it story wise and who they end up pulling in as far as actors, story writers, directors...
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Can we get new LOTR couch co-ops pls k thx
  • Calling it now, it's gonna be fucking young Aragorn.

They don't have the balls to go full Silmarillion. Hope I'm wrong, though.
    Pangsken hale
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    No, it's going to be Beren and Luthien. 
    Elisagjulleen
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Plenty of goodness in the Sil. 
  • tom_g said:
    What is a $200 million season in context?  A quick search tells me GOT is about $10 million per episode.  LOTR seems 1.75 to 2 x greater.
    It's not clear to me if the billion dollar budget referenced in the article includes the 250 million for the rights or not?
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Is this going to be the same story as the movie, or some kind of spin-off from the books/movies?
    edited April 9
    Cory said:
    Is this going to be the same story as the movie, or some kind of spin-off from the books/movies?

It's based on The Silmarillion, which is more of the prequel to The Lord of the Rings than The Hobbit.

Edit: I should say probably. I'm confusing speculation with actual news.
  • I heard it was just a series of therapy sessions called Bilbo's Baggage
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited May 16
    Why can we not go back more than half a generation with anything? 

darwinfeeshyNoobieDooz
  • edited May 16
    Calling it now, it's gonna be fucking young Aragorn.

They don't have the balls to go full Silmarillion. Hope I'm wrong, though.
    Good call, evidently :)
    darwinfeeshy
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Damnit, so for the most part, there's absolutely nothing at stake. Aragorn and his one true love will be fine.
    Elisa
  • Damn.  I was hoping it would be Beren/Luthien with flash backs every episode.
    Elisa
  • I love Aragorn's role in LOTR, but he's probably the character I was least interested in.  I would really rather watch a series about young Boromir/Faramir (although I wouldn't love that either) at least they had conflict I would be interested in watching unfold.
    Elisa
  • One more (I normally don't want to triple post):

I would watch a "Better Call Saul" from the LOTR universe.  I don't know who that character would be, but I would be interested in an irreverent telling of a fall from grace.  Maybe Shelob.  I dunno.
    gjulleen said:
    One more (I normally don't want to triple post):

I would watch a "Better Call Saul" from the LOTR universe.  I don't know who that character would be, but I would be interested in an irreverent telling of a fall from grace.  Maybe Shelob.  I dunno.

That's brilliant. Wormtongue. Saruman. How about all 3!
    gjulleen
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    gjulleen said:
    One more (I normally don't want to triple post):

I know we technically got it, but I'd be very very very into a Smeagol/Gollum show. The first season can be about his life, and then he finds the ring in the first season finale where everything goes down hill from there.
  • I know we technically got it, but I'd be very very very into a Smeagol/Gollum show. The first season can be about his life, and then he finds the ring in the first season finale where everything goes down hill from there.
    I'm not being sarcastic, I love the "everything goes down hill from there" statement.  Like, he gets a roommate who makes his life a living hell and he has a boss like Lumburg from Office Space.

I love the idea of Gollum - but with a tie - trying to navigate office politics.

I would watch like 2 seasons of that.

Also, if Smaug had an office job and had to wear a tie.

OMG!!!  SMAUG IS THE ROOMMATE!!