The Expanse (Spoiler Thread)

For book and show discussion. 
ElisaFlukes

Comments

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Alright, just got to tear my way through these books, and then I'll be back in here.
    Elisa
  • So then the general thread just show spoilers?  
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    @Doctor_Nick Yeah "spoiler thread" didn't really solve the problem, but I don't think we can change thread titles...
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    The general thread is kind of deprecated. Since it’s getting full coverage there will be episode specific threads and then this thread for book spoilers. 
    Elisa
    I guess you can still use the general thread for discussing the show in general minus book spoilers? 
  • DoshyDoshy Japan
    Interesting how they brought some of the 3rd book stuff forward and reworked some character introductions. 

The priest in ahead of where she comes in in the books.  Also, her tie in a little more with the Secretary General.  (don't really like the actress they use for her.)  

Also, didn't think they'd actually show what they were doing with both those kids.  

Thought the crash couches would be more of a gel-like cushion based on descriptions in the books.

The Protomolecule stuff left on the ship previewed way before it comes up in the books.  Miller doesn't tell him about that until mid to late 4th book.  Wondering when the Miller Blue Ghost is going to show up.  
    Elisa
    edited April 21
    Miller Blue Ghost sounds like some kind of terrible beer. “Try Miller Blue Ghost, same shitty Miller Lite taste, even less calories, in fact it has anti-calories, you’ll literally lose nutritients from drinking it.”
    Decided to start reading the books, Jim was correct, these are really, quite well written novels. 
    ElisarkcrawfFlukes
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    I haven't read the books, so I'm curious about one thing:

On the official official show podcast-- The Churn-- they revealed the spoiler that the protorpedos are headed for Mars as a doomsday attack.

Book-knowledge Jim seemed to genuinely not know, while A.Ron guessed it correctly.  Does that war mechanic play out differently in the books, or was Jim just feigning ignorance?

I don't want to actually know how things play out! (I took off my glasses to skim this thread before posting, lol)  Just wondering to what extent the books and show are diverging?
    I mean do you want the answer or not?
  • DoshyDoshy Japan
    So, looks like we're getting more Mao and the children.

Question, they can't really "save" Mai can they?  I mean that's key to later when they need funds to continue.  

So, the Venus Jellyfish is the beginnings of the Ring right?
  • DoshyDoshy Japan
    Alkaid13 said:
    So, the Venus Jellyfish is the beginnings of the Ring right?
    Yeah they just don't describe it that way in the books.  I came off thinking it came up out of Jupiter already formed into a ring. 

I think they were discussing the ridges of the crater and the constructions rising up out of it

• DoshyDoshy Japan
    really not liking the way they Yaddda Yadda'd past all the convoys headed for the ring.   

Anna is too wooden as I feared with this Actress.  Also, how is she so involved at this point with nothing but the word of this socialite?  Books built her up as a quiet leader first.  

Don't see how they're going to work it with Bobbie there.  Probably be the stand-in for the MM's on the Behemoth later on. 

They're rapidly coming to the point that they are going to need some serious special effects budget.  They're hemming and hawing and managed to do the interior of the station moderately, but the interior battles on the Behemoth....
  • edited June 20
    I'm starting to worry that we aren't going to get a lot of the interior battles on the Behemoth, at least not this season. I could see them wrapping up this season with all of the main players getting onboard the Behemoth and ending with the mutiny and death of Drummer (stand-in for Sam). Then starting next season with a 3-4 episode arc of the interior battles/politics and retaking the ship.
    Elisa
  • I'm starting to worry that we aren't going to get a lot of the interior battles on the Behemoth, at least not this season. I could see them wrapping up this season with all of the main players getting onboard the Behemoth and ending with the mutiny and death of Drummer (stand-in for Sam). Then starting next season with a 3-4 episode arc of the interior battles/politics and retaking the ship.
    I think they're gonna wrap up book 3 this season. There isn't that much story left especially considering they omitted Bull who was a key player in all the interior battles. They simplified all the inner workings of the Behemoth. I think 3 episodes is plenty for the mutiny and the retaking the ship. Other than that there's only the restarting of the reactors and dealing with Clarissa.
    Also before it was picked up by Amazon they said it wouldn't end on a cliffhanger, so I think they'll end it in a fairly stable position, not mid-mutiny. And I don't think Drummer will die (but that's more of a hope).
    ElisaMelonusk
  • MelonuskMelonusk Ireland
    That was crazy how fast they wrapped everything up. And yet I didn't feel like much was missing. I mean I would have liked a secondary character like Sam to be in the show but that's the book-show trade-off, you just can't pack these many characters at once. My highlights of these last episodes compared to the book:

- I thought Melba's turn would have been tough to do, but I think they handled it well.
    - Really enjoyed the Anna-Amos moments, especially Amos vowing not to protect her.
    - I was surprised they didn't go the Bull route with Drummer. I haven't read further than Book 3 so I have to imagine they'll continue to re-purpose her through other Belter characters.

Can't wait for more Miller scenes next season!
    Elisa